News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Atheist Brethren - Let us go out and commit atrocities together!

Started by MadBomr101, March 28, 2012, 01:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBomr101

Because as everyone knows, atheist have no concept of right and wrong.  I was at a community gathering the other week and one of the men there suggested to the group that atheists aren't capable of moral conduct because they have no guidance from god to direct them. 

I was furious but I had promised my wife ahead of time that I would behave if something like this happened.  I bit my tongue and let it go.

This is one of Xianity's more lame arguments, and they have so very many of those.  The idea that mankind would be incapable of moral judgement without some invisible magical elf outlining right and wrong, good and evil for us says more about how weak they are as people.  Maybe they can't determine right from wrong without input from the divine voices in their head but I, and probably everyone else here, can.

Now, I'm going to go rape a few virgins before feasting on the flesh of a newborn.  I'm getting hungry.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Stevil

In my opinion, they are correct and they are incorrect at the same time.

Morality is such a BS concept.
There is no such thing as absolute right or absolute wrong.

Theists are correct when they say that without an all perfect source of right and wrong that humans are incapable of deducing absolute right and absolute wrong.
I agree with them 100% on this.

However, their belief in a god does not mean that there is a god, and does not mean that this god has accurately provided them with the absolute rights and absolute wrongs.
For what purpose are these rights and wrongs? So that the god can judge us and then justify sending us to eternal torment?

Secular society only needs rules so that we can coexist peacefully together. Atheists can understand this need through reason and observation. Strangely, we can do this without burning witches and heretics and without oppressing homosexuals.

Sandra Craft

What scares me is the implication that Xtians would have no concept of right and wrong without imagining a god telling them what to do.  And how many Xtians have turned up on this forum, claiming that without belief in god they'd be running around boozing, drugging, whoring and all what not.  It's just mindblowing -- I gave up trying to believe in a god nearly 40 yrs ago and it's never once occured to me to drink, do drugs or charge for sex, much less anything worse.  I have to hope they are exaggerating or just making wild, thoughtless assumptions about themselves or I'm going to have to upset ThinkAnarchy by suggesting even more laws be enacted to deal with these potential mindless powder kegs. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ali

What kind of community group was this?

I don't believe that (most) Xtians really would go hogwild without religion, or anyway, not any more hogwild than people already are.  In the history of humanity, I can't see any evidence that religion has stopped people from stealing, murdering, warring, and so on.  Nor do I see any evidence that suggests that atheists are more likely than the average Xtian to go on rampages.  I think the truth is that most people have a sturdy sense of right and wrong in their heads, regardless of what beliefs they follow, but that no one always does whats right, and things get even more complicated as situations get complicated.  We believe it's wrong to kill people, but if we feel they are a threat to us, that may well go out the window, no matter what we believe.  And so on.  I think that Xtians who believe that god is the reason that they aren't out raping and pillaging aren't giving themselves enough credit.  And Xtians who believe that they have the cornerstone on morality are giving themselves way too much credit.

Hector Valdez

Gotta admit, though, deep within my subconscious mind, there's probably something that would enjoy a good, bloody, rape. t(O_O)t

Tank

Quote from: The Semaestro on April 01, 2012, 05:31:54 PM
Gotta admit, though, deep within my subconscious mind, there's probably something that would enjoy a good, bloody, rape. t(O_O)t
Quite right! Bend over boy!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

Quote from: Ali on March 28, 2012, 04:25:28 PM
I think the truth is that most people have a sturdy sense of right and wrong in their heads
Early on in life, as children, most of us found out that when we snatched toys or hit others they then hit us back.
So we stopped snatching toys (certainly from the big kids) and we stopped hitting others (well, those that were bigger than us). Sometimes life's lessons are all we need, not some magical sense of right and wrong.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Stevil on April 01, 2012, 08:13:17 PM
Early on in life, as children, most of us found out that when we snatched toys or hit others they then hit us back.
So we stopped snatching toys (certainly from the big kids) and we stopped hitting others (well, those that were bigger than us). Sometimes life's lessons are all we need, not some magical sense of right and wrong.

That's part of it but for most people I hope there is also empathy.
I have memories of being a jerk as a kid, just verbal cruelty long past but it still makes feel like crap to think about it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on April 01, 2012, 05:36:54 PM

:D

Edited to add:  can I watch?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Stevil

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on April 02, 2012, 03:03:06 AM
That's part of it but for most people I hope there is also empathy.
I have memories of being a jerk as a kid, just verbal cruelty long past but it still makes feel like crap to think about it.
Yes, empathy and an understanding that society is bigger than the self. With age we learn to be responsible, accommodating, non judgmental, supportive etc. Generally we come to an understanding that we ought to work together and help each other out.

Kids are kids, for some reason, with immaturity comes a need to put down others.
I've got my nasty regrets too.

Guardian85

Quote from: Ali on March 28, 2012, 04:25:28 PM
I don't believe that (most) Xtians really would go hogwild without religion, or anyway, not any more hogwild than people already are.  In the history of humanity, I can't see any evidence that religion has stopped people from stealing, murdering, warring, and so on.  Nor do I see any evidence that suggests that atheists are more likely than the average Xtian to go on rampages.
Actually, if you care to look there is compelling evidence of the opposite.

And thank you very freaking much for those images in my head!  :o

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 02, 2012, 03:05:52 AM

:D

Edited to add:  can I watch?

:-X
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Oh good, I'll send some guys over with whips (which is something it looks like you like O_o)

Now don't run like your masters were behind you! ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 02, 2012, 10:36:46 PM

Oh good, I'll send some guys over with whips (which is something it looks like you like O_o)

You could always send some ladies over suitably equipped with artificial you know whats!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on April 02, 2012, 11:09:00 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 02, 2012, 10:36:46 PM

You could always send some ladies over suitably equipped with artificial you know whats!

*scratches chin* yeah, could be. Maybe I shall have to call up one whose subconscious screams sadomasochist for him. Luckily for him he can keep his beliefs intact, as condoms won't be needed.

Or they could just forget the artificial penises and use the whip handle instead.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey