News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Since when was the term "homosexual" offensive?

Started by Byronazriel, November 07, 2010, 03:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byronazriel

Someone already said that, and in what way is liberal offensive?

When I order a slice of pie, I don't say give me a conservative ammount of ice cream do I?
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

AlP

Quote from: "Byronazriel"Someone already said that, and in what way is liberal offensive?
Sophus did not claim that 'liberal' was offensive.

Quote from: "Byronazriel"When I order a slice of pie, I don't say give me a conservative ammount of ice cream do I?
I fail to see where this is going but please follow this line of argument.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Byronazriel

Yes he did, he specifically added it to a list of words that have been "twist(ed) {words} so much that the words have to be abandoned and replaced to avoid offense."

The only people I've ever heard use the word liberal as a pejorative are conservatives, and radical ones at that.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

karadan

I prefer to call them limp-wristed shirt lifting bottom touching toffee doctors. That is so much more appealing :)

Seriously though, it is as offensive as the word 'vagina', ie, not offensive in the slightest although i'd still never use that to describe a ladies' bits. Kind of cringeworthy really.. Like when you hear a grown man call his mum 'mummy'.. Makes me go a bit weird in the knee department.

The word gay is in the English dictionary as a word to describe happiness, homosexuality and as a derogatory remark.

Words evolve. Maybe homosexual is turning into a derogatory word as well.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

karadan

Quote from: "Byronazriel"That's what asexual means, I am not sexually attracted to anything or anyone. At least I've yet to come across anything that greases my gears.

I'm not saying I wont ever have sex, only that I'd prefer to not have sex.

I thought that was also called solosexual. Or do you not masturbate either?

Disclaimer: I was not trying to pry, belittle, offend or any other negative connotation that may bring. I was merely curious. If it was too personal, please do not answer that question. I'll happily accept your wishes to stfu :)
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

tunghaichuan

Quote from: "Byronazriel"Someone already said that, and in what way is liberal offensive?

I have a developing theory about that. I believe that neocon Republicans and fundamentalist and/or right wing Christians have demonized this word to make liberals the enemy. Much like they have done with gay/lesbian/transgender people. This fear mongering distracts the general populace from the real issues at hand: despite having a Constitution, the United States incarcerates more people per capita than any other nation. The United States is involved in two wars that they have no business being in. The medical/pharmaceutical/hospital industry has been ripping people off for years and is getting richer and politically more powerful. The middle class is disapearing; the rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer and the middle class is getting screwed. Oil continues to be the dominant energy source for industrialized nations, yet it isn't sustainable but yet there is nothing that can replace it. Etc.

So the right wingers give the sheep (general population) enemies to focus their hate. Because it is easier to demonize groups of people than it is to come up with solutions to complex problems.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Horatio G. Spafford, March 17,

karadan

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Quote from: "hunterman317"My purpose was not to offend, but to contribute. I know my views go against a lot of people's on the forum because of my upbringing. Sorry if I offended anyone.

This is a story of a couple, Brian and Norm who met in the 1950s and lived together for over fifty years.
Norm in recent years developed Alzheimer's and is now in a nursing home.
If you can listen to this and condemn their love as "a perversion of nature," your heart is cold and I pity you.

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/ ... 3_1440.mp3
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/360/stories/2010/2839237.htm

I like this comment
QuoteAnnie :
Brian, thankyou so much for sharing your heart with us. Love is love no matter who it's between. I could only wish to have memories like yours and to have experienced the kind of love you both have for each other. I'm very sorry for your loss but also happy that you both had so much love for each other. Hold your memories close to your heart and thankyou for sharing what has obviously been a difficult time for you. My admiration for you is more than I can say in words. Thankyou too RN for this beautiful and respectful story of true love. Should be mandatory listening to all school age children.

Thank you very much for that link. I got quite emotional whilst listening to it.

Thumpalumpacus

Wait, "homosexual" is offensive?

Jesus Christ, people need to grow thicker skins.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Jesus Christ, people need to grow thicker skins.
Beware though, a hide of my caliber restricts motion. Looks stylish though  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Will

Homosexual is the equivalent to African-American. It started as a way to create a strictly clinical term for a way of being but it ended up sounding more like a diagnosis than a description. I refer to myself not as heterosexual, but straight. I'm pretty sure most straight people consider themselves straight. The opposite of straight isn't homosexual, it's gay.

One is straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual or transsexual.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

elliebean

Agree with the rest of your post, however
Quote from: "Will"One is straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual or transsexual.
One is straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, etc. regardless of being transsexual.

Which is another term that is quickly dropping out of favor among the people it is meant to describe, partly because of the often confusing distinctions between 'transsexual' and 'transgender'. The most preferred term at this point is simply 'trans'. In either case, you were correct in using it as an adjective, and not a noun.

This may be useful here: https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AcHP5xGhVLvmZGRnY3RocWdfMHc4ZHpza2c3&hl=en&pli=1
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Byronazriel

Again, why is homosexual and now apparently heterosexual offensive but asexuality, bisexuality, and pansexuality are not?
...And since when was African-American offensive? Why is this the first I've heard about this stuff, is there some newsletter that I'm not subscribed to that y'all are?

Quote from: "karadan"I thought that was also called solosexual. Or do you not masturbate either?

Disclaimer: I was not trying to pry, belittle, offend or any other negative connotation that may bring. I was merely curious. If it was too personal, please do not answer that question. I'll happily accept your wishes to stfu :)

Masturbation does not equal "solo"-sexual, otherwise nearly everyone would be solosexual. Having sex, whether with yourself or otherwise has very little to do with sexuality. Sexuality has more to do with attraction.

If a person was sexually attracted to themselves, then they would be autosexual. I am not, so I am not.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Byronazriel"Again, why is homosexual and now apparently heterosexual offensive but asexuality, bisexuality, and pansexuality are not?
...And since when was African-American offensive? Why is this the first I've heard about this stuff, is there some newsletter that I'm not subscribed to that y'all are?

Since PC ran amok?

I can understand not wanting to hurt someone's feelings.  I can't understand inventing offense.  I've never been offended by being called heterosexual -- or homosexual, for that matter -- because the one is true and the other is false.

Is there a professional victim class?  You be the judge.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Will

Quote from: "elliebean"Agree with the rest of your post, however
Quote from: "Will"One is straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual or transsexual.
One is straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, etc. regardless of being transsexual.
You're right.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

I thought homosexual was the PC term too but was corrected by a gay friend.  I asked, so what should I say and he said LGBT or just gay.

Keeping up with what terms are PC is nearly impossible; I figure that as long as my intentions are pure that I can't be faulted for saying the wrong word.