News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Discussão em português

Started by Tank, May 06, 2019, 01:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 29, 2019, 02:29:06 AM
Having trouble with cozinho and cozinha. I feel like it's just gendered but not completely sure. Does it default to masculine if the subject isn't known to be a female?

So:

Eu cozinho o carne e ela cozinha um molho.

Verbs aren't gendered. It's 'cozinho' or 'cozinha' based on the subject.

Here's the conjugation for the verb 'cozinhar' (to cook)

eu cozinho
tu cozinhas
ele/ela cozinha
nós cozinhamos
vós cozinhais
eles cozinham

So you see, both 'he' (ele) or 'she' (ela) cozinha.

"Eu cozinho a carne e ela cozinha um molho."

You can also say:

Ela cozinha a carne e eu cozinho um molho.

or

Ele cozinha a carne e eu cozinho um molho.

Etc...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Thank you! My neural pattern recognition software has a few bugs to work out...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

Irrelevant to the conversation:

Did you know that the west African nation of Guinea-Bissau has Portuguese as their basic language.  It has been corrupted with pidgin.  Nonetheless, Silver and JJ could communicate with the natives there.

Twould be interesting to learn why that language found a home in that place.  I would guess that it has something to do with Portuguese colonialism of the distant past.

jumbojak

It does indeed, just like Angola, Mozambique,  and, once upon a time, a tiny slice of India.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 30, 2019, 06:22:41 PM
It does indeed, just like Angola, Mozambique,  and, once upon a time, a tiny slice of India.

:this: :smilenod:

Icarus

Quote from: jumbojak on May 30, 2019, 06:22:41 PM

And Ceylon too.

jumbojak

My streak continues to 51 days. I now have a bit better understanding of first person plural versus third person plural. Vocês escrevem uma carta. Nós lemos o livro.

My vocabulary is still very limited though.

xSilverPhinx

jumbojak

If there's one thing I like Duolingo for, it's the repeated spoken sentences. With a Portuguese accent the difference between bebe and bebeem is very subtle.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on June 21, 2019, 02:27:44 AM
If there's one thing I like Duolingo for, it's the repeated spoken sentences. With a Portuguese accent the difference between bebe and bebeem is very subtle.

You think? :P

Well, English has it's fair share of very subtle differences too. Brazilians for the life of me can't distinguish between the spoken  'man' and 'men'.  ;D We have to rely on context instead. 

jumbojak

You should talk to some Southerners. Men sounds normal enough, most of the time, but we tend to add a 'y' and an extra 'a' to man. It becomes... mayan...

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on June 25, 2019, 01:31:47 PM
You should talk to some Southerners. Men sounds normal enough, most of the time, but we tend to add a 'y' and an extra 'a' to man. It becomes... mayan...

Just like in the movies... :tellmemore:

hermes2015

I wonder how they say Mayan.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 25, 2019, 03:46:53 PM

Just like in the movies... :tellmemore:

Honestly, most depictions of Southerners in film get it very, very wrong. There's a tendency in Hollywood to give leading characters deeper voices than you find in the wild, so to speak. Most southern accents are fairly highly pitched.

Some hill folk have a low and slow way of speaking, as a group, but down in the flats you find people who speak in the upper registers. I can usually peg people by their state and in Virginia I can usually get the region, if not the county.

Robert Deniro, George Clooney, and Nicholas Cage were absolutely AWFUL at southern accents. Comically bad to someone who knows what to listen for.

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 25, 2019, 06:06:49 PM

I wonder how they say Mayan.

Just like in the movies... Seriously though, my description wasn't perfect. I guess that if Mayan is a short 'a' the southern 'man' would be a long 'a' if that makes any sense? I'm not a linguist so I can't describe the phonetic differences accurately. :(