News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Ark Park A-Building

Started by Recusant, November 13, 2015, 03:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

We've had a couple of threads on the Christian theme park that Ken Ham and his band of liars for Jesus are creating in Kentucky (original here). I just checked in on what progress has occurred, since the last I knew it was just empty ground with some stakes in it. Turns out there has been some impressive progress, though they of course are making absolutely no effort to replicate ancient building techniques. There was no mention in the Bible of a cinder/breezeblock core in Noah's ark, for instance. Nor steel bolts and connector plates and laminated lumber.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

Maybe joining plates came naturally with Gopher Wood... no one know what that kind of wood Gopher Wood is.  :P
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Icarus

The crane and the man lift looks suspiciously un Noah like.

Tom62

Quote from: Icarus on November 13, 2015, 09:25:35 PM

God works in mysterious ways ;)
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on November 14, 2015, 09:29:33 AM
Quote from: Icarus on November 13, 2015, 09:25:35 PM

God works in mysterious ways ;)
By picking Kan Hamm as a prophet? Yes that's pretty mysterious!  :puke:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

It's sad that so much money is wasted on this nonsense.  Centuries ago they wasted it on the great cathedrals, but at least they created lasting architecture of great beauty.

Icarus

jumbojak

They could've at least used joinery to fit the damn thing together. It's sad really. Had they done that it would've been an interesting piece of carpentry at least. Now it just rivals some wooden roller coasters.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Recusant

Quote from: Icarus on January 17, 2016, 06:37:53 AM
The latest report on the AIG  fun and games.                                    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/noahs-ark-rises-in-kentucky-dinosaurs-and-all/ar-BBohrlr?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCDHPames.

Thanks for posting that update, Icarus. I especially appreciated the detail regarding how Ham's troupe of mountebanks is going to make the employees at the theme park help pay for its construction. Sweet!

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Quote from: jumbojak on January 18, 2016, 01:56:05 AM
They could've at least used joinery to fit the damn thing together. It's sad really. Had they done that it would've been an interesting piece of carpentry at least. Now it just rivals some wooden roller coasters.

Traditional timber framing techniques would certainly have made the interior of the thing more attractive, but the general public probably wouldn't really notice it. That would have made its construction much more expensive and time-consuming though and after all it is a theme park, so the roller coaster thing is in keeping.
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

The Ark Park boondoggle is set to open in July. The main structure of the phony ark itself is almost done, as can be seen in the video below, which is a news report about the billboard that the Tri-State Freethinkers wanted to put up.

Ken Ham, as usual, is incapable of addressing the issue honestly. You can read his take on it here if you've been missing a touch of nausea in your life.
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

Billboard companies were using good business sense to avoid renting space to the free thinker group. It is not much of a stretch to imagine billboard arson or other destructive methods. They are, after all, in the middle of the bible belt.

This is akin to the gay wedding cake flap that has gotten so much national attention.  Will the ACLU see this as a case worthy of their consideration?  I would not want to be one of the plaintiff lawyers in such a case. Another Scopes trial?

Recusant

I don't see any case, if you're talking about the billboard issue. There was no government suppression of free speech. The tax incentive case was already decided in Ham & Co.'s favor.
— H. L. Mencken

Firebird

I think what Icarus is saying is that it's possible the billboard companies refused to put up the billboard specifically because it was an atheist/freethinker group, which would be an issue. Not clear if that's the case, since it was clearly designed to offend.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Recusant

Quote from: Firebird on May 12, 2016, 10:39:41 PMI think what Icarus is saying is that it's possible the billboard companies refused to put up the billboard specifically because it was an atheist/freethinker group, which would be an issue.
If they did, I think they're entirely within their legal rights to do so. They can refuse to provide their service to any group as long as that group is not specifically protected from discrimination. I don't think atheists/freethinkers have that sort of protection. Perhaps somebody could build a case based on the idea that atheism is a religious belief (it's been done successfully before), and therefore should be protected. It might be difficult because atheism, being merely a position on the existence of deities, is not promoting any positive beliefs unlike, say, Humanism.

Quote from: Firebird on May 12, 2016, 10:39:41 PMNot clear if that's the case, since it was clearly designed to offend.

Exactly--this wouldn't be a test case I would choose if I were trying to show religious discrimination. The opposing legal team can argue that the company refused to display the proposed billboard because of its defamatory and inflammatory message. The billboard company could very well have decided not to display the billboard because they were justifiably afraid their property would be damaged or destroyed.

Our local Christian legal eagle might be able to provide more insight, or correct any errors in the above.  :D
— H. L. Mencken