News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Religious Baby-sitter

Started by DeterminedJuliet, September 06, 2011, 06:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

So, my husband and I recently moved to a new city and we now need someone to watch our (15 month old) little boy approximately 10 hours a week. While I was in the process of screening applicants, I spoke with one lady who seemed nice enough. We were communicating by Gmail and I noticed she had a profile, so I clicked on the profile and discovered that she has a blog.

I don't want to link to the blog directly, as, even though my persona here is anonymous, I'd rather she not figure out who I am, but here is an excerpt:

QuoteBeautiful one, Death called their name and they went running. No one intervened. No one said anything. No one petitioned heaven."  Each word hitting my heart like a bullet sent for me to receive.

Looking closer, I see that there had been words written behind the verdict, as if still lingering from the past. Making them out, I see the words, "I am a reformer. I will change history. I will take nations with the word of the Lord." Stunned, with my spirit involved in a fight I was not willing to lose. I ask, "Baby who stole you?"

She whispers back, "Abortion stole me. Death stole me. Malaria stole me. Neglect stole me. Human trafficking stole me."

"Baby, why didn't anyone save you?"

And I hear Him, I hear Him crying with tears streaming, "No one stopped to hear her story."

My eyes were locked on Him, as He hovered over these books with pens laid down. With His hand, He pulls out the words from behind the verdict. They are burning, moving, and dancing inside of His hands clenched; He is moving closer to me, He is coming for me. My soul pacing in waiting and in wanting, He places His hand upon my heart.

"It is not too late for you to carry this." Again, I nod, how can I do anything else? I am in love.

Looking down, I now see that many names have been written upon me. "Beloved, You are a sign that death didn't win."

Strength that is supernatural and victory that belongs to the Warrior fills me on the inside. He is intimate and intricate, pushing at the walls of what I can contain, stretching me, that I may be able to possess more that is Him. My eyes pushed to suddenly open up to an unseen realm, I see a line of children on the side of a street; they are from every nation. Kneeling down beside each of them, I hear the language of my heart race like a marathon runner. 

"Little one, you are powerful. You have a story. Tell me your story and I will tell you why your story makes you a weapon."

This is just a tiny, tiny excerpt and the ENTIRE blog is filled with this kind of thing. So, and I feel a little badly about this, I went running for the hills and completely cut off contact with her.

I feel badly because I have visions of fundamentalist Christians who would never consider letting their child near an openly atheist baby-sitter due to what "that kind of person" might teach them, and I don't want to be that kind of parent. I certainly don't want to raise him to be sheltered from any "kind" of person (except pedophiles or the criminally violent, obviously), but it was all just a bit too much for me.

Any other parents (or non-parents) have similar experiences?

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

McQ

Even though you don't want to be "that kind of parent", you have more than good reason to be wary and maybe not continue with this person. You could be as open and accepting as possible, but the instant she finds out about your beliefs, I can virtually guarantee she will not be as open.

You will likely become a project for salvation, and so will your child. Your rules will not matter because you are not capable of raising a "moral" child while being an unbeliever. It may start off all hugs and kisses and her acting non-judgmental, but that would change in time. More of her beliefs would slip into conversations and she will invite you to church, which will accompany her inviting you to some social gathering with people your age who can witness to you. Every one of her friends will have you on their prayer lists and they will eventually put more and more pressure on your family. In the meantime, she will do her darndest to influence your child.

Experience with this over the years has led me to believe that is the rough outcome.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

You shouldn't feel bad about not wanting your kid to be watched by what sounds like a member of Jesus Camp's church.

The Magic Pudding

That's violent delusional crap, I'd as likely trust a young child with an Hyena as with such a person.

Will

Atheists aren't commanded by scripture to terrify children with eternal torture, so I don't think it's quite the same thing. We're just at our default religious setting: "nuttin".

I'm kinda on the other side of this. I'm a private teacher and several of my students are pretty religious. Because the topics I teach don't involve religion, it never really comes up and I always act in the best interest of the students. All you can hope for, I suppose is someone who doesn't let his or her personal issues of beliefs come between them and doing a good job.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

DeterminedJuliet

On the upside, we now have a very nice, normal baby-sitter.

Thanks for the reassurance, it just really was the first time I've even been SO weirded out by a person's beliefs that I've had to be all "omg stay away from mah baby!" To be honest, even when I was Christian I'm pretty sure this lady would have made me very uncomfortable.

We don't get a whole lot of religious crazies in Canada.  :-[
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Troll god

I personally think that a religious babysitter can be dangerous. What if the voices in the mind of these kind of people tell them to hurt or even worse to kill the baby? :o
IN INFERIS MELIUS EST REGNARE, QUAM IN COELIS SERVIRE!

SisterAgatha

Even as a religious nun, (and am therefore biased) I don't think this woman sends up a red flag.

She mentions abortion as a bad thing, but one of many bad things that afflict children.

She mentinos abortion,neglect ,homelessness et al as causes harming children. I am inclined to agree with her.

I think all you would deal with is simply a pro life Christian woman as opposed to some crazy Jim Jones type.

I would hire her if I were you. I,Sister Agatha can give her a good reference!

drfreemlizard

Wow. I am a practicing Christian and this still gives me the willies. It sounds like someone watched a movie about abortion while on an acid trip and decided to write a blog about it before the drugs wore off. I would definitely look elsewhere for a babysitter, even among us other 'delusionals' :)

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Prycejosh1987

I am being biased but religious baby sitters are a good thing. Because they teach old fashion values to kids. Values are religiously designed, whereas an atheist wouldnt care less, as long as they get paid. But a Christian babysitter would teach love, life and goodness and a good mentality to the child. Children should be taught a proven theory which says we were created. Its also proven that everything needs to develop to help it grow and become greater. This proves there is  a God. Because without a deity there is no personal development.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Prycejosh1987 on August 21, 2023, 09:34:49 PMI am being biased but religious baby sitters are a good thing. Because they teach old fashion values to kids. Values are religiously designed, whereas an atheist wouldnt care less, as long as they get paid. But a Christian babysitter would teach love, life and goodness and a good mentality to the child. Children should be taught a proven theory which says we were created. Its also proven that everything needs to develop to help it grow and become greater. This proves there is  a God. Because without a deity there is no personal development.

:blahblah:  I had to use this one. Where is the :wank: emoji?

Recusant

Quote from: Prycejosh1987 on August 21, 2023, 09:34:49 PMI am being biased but religious baby sitters are a good thing. Because they teach old fashion values to kids. Values are religiously designed, whereas an atheist wouldnt care less, as long as they get paid. But a Christian babysitter would teach love, life and goodness and a good mentality to the child. Children should be taught a proven theory which says we were created. Its also proven that everything needs to develop to help it grow and become greater. This proves there is  a God. Because without a deity there is no personal development.

Old fashioned values like the divine right of kings, god-sanctioned slavery, genocide, and bigotry to name a few.  No thank you.

There are good people who are Christian, and rotten people who are Christian. The idea that the mere label is some sort of recommendation is absurd.

There is no "proven theory which says we were created."  If there were you would have included a reference to this imaginary proof.

Upon this imaginary proof you base a specious "proof" of your god. I will remind you of the language of the site rules:

QuotePreaching means stating your beliefs without providing evidence.  If directly asked what you believe you may answer but it would then become against the rules if you were to then refuse to back up your views objectively when honestly challenged.

Provide evidence (verifiable, objective evidence), not mere assertions about "proof."  Members of this site are open to discussion, but if you insist on preaching you'll be getting another vacation (at minimum). You have already been warned about this in clear language.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Prycejosh1987 on August 21, 2023, 09:34:49 PMI am being biased but religious baby sitters are a good thing. Because they teach old fashion values to kids.
You know, I used to have an old-fashioned car up until recently. And now, I have a current generation one, and it's better in every respect save its fuel consumption.

"Good because old" is not actually a thing, although situationally, it can be. This is not one such situation. I also find it somewhat distasteful that you'd delegate a babysitter to the role of a teacher rather than a health and safety officer. Why not do some parenting of your own, or get a tutor in stead?

QuoteValues are religiously designed,
Socially. Even the religious values are socially designed.

Quotewhereas an atheist wouldnt care less, as long as they get paid.
On the flipside, if your Christian babysitter doesn't care about getting paid... Insert a catholic priest joke right about >>here.<<

QuoteBut a Christian babysitter would teach love, life and goodness and a good mentality to the child.
Riiiiight... (S)he wouldn't spend the days drawn to that irresistible pull of a smart phone screen while half-heartedly keeping the kids from electrocuting themselves with a toaster.

QuoteChildren should be taught a proven theory which says we were created. Its also proven that everything needs to develop to help it grow and become greater. This proves there is  a God. Because without a deity there is no personal development.
:blahblah: I call bullshit on everything in the above quote. Receipts, or it's nothing but digital wind.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.