News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

"Why Trump Supporters Think He's Not Corrupt"

Started by Sandra Craft, August 23, 2018, 01:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

I found this very convincing.  It doesn't surprise me at all that Trump supporters and the rest of us are using the same words but meaning different things. 

QuoteOnce you grasp that for Trump and many of his supporters, corruption means less the violation of law than the violation of established hierarchies, their behavior makes more sense.

Why Trump Supporters Think He's Not Corrupt
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

No one

Did you just use the word think when refering to Trump supporters?

Dave

On August 22nd 6 people were been killed and thirteen injured in America due to gun violence. And yet some corrupt people want to stop a fine, democratic and constitutional tradiition because of such things!

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/last-72-hours
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: No one on August 23, 2018, 01:30:55 AM

Sometimes it's unavoidable, language is limited.
Sandy

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 23, 2018, 10:05:27 AM

There's the problem, we mock them.
Got nothen new? Mock the rednecks
Dull as they may be they know it.
There's no fixing it is there?
No, unless,
Elect Conscript Tom Hanks as President.
We hate Tom Hanks, he was the gay in that gay movie.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

joeactor

Quote from: Bad Penny II on August 23, 2018, 04:56:01 PM

No, unless,

I have to disagree.

We've lost the true ability to mock others without apologizing. Well, the left has. Thanks political correctness!

Here's the thing: many stupid people no longer think they're stupid. Mockery can be part of a feedback loop that informs even the dimmest of people that they are dim.

As it is now, they've been empowered by seeing a dim, corrupt, morally bankrupt man be elevated to the office of the president.

Open mockery is needed now more than ever, imho.

(steps down from comedy soapbox)

(gets back on comedy soapbox)

Actually, mockery is useful for other things too... health issues, drug abuse, work ethics, moral failings. I just can't say enough good things about mockery!

(ok, I'm off for now - tip your waiters and waitresses... good night Cleveland!)

Bad Penny II

Quote from: joeactor on August 23, 2018, 06:35:45 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on August 23, 2018, 04:56:01 PM

No, unless,

I have to disagree.

We've lost the true ability to mock others without apologizing. Well, the left has. Thanks political correctness!

Here's the thing: many stupid people no longer think they're stupid. Mockery can be part of a feedback loop that informs even the dimmest of people that they are dim.

As it is now, they've been empowered by seeing a dim, corrupt, morally bankrupt man be elevated to the office of the president.

Open mockery is needed now more than ever, imho.

So you've fucked up their heads with decades of derision
Now Trump
Answer is more derision
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bad Penny II on August 25, 2018, 04:59:49 PM

So you've fucked up their heads with decades of derision
Now Trump
Answer is more derision

Except if we're nice to them the result is still Trump.   And since they're the ones who appreciate non-PC, tell it like it is honesty . . .
Sandy

Recusant

Quote from: Bad Penny II on August 25, 2018, 04:59:49 PMSo you've fucked up their heads with decades of derision
Now Trump
Answer is more derision

:rofl: If anything their heads have been fucked up by decades of listening to right wing talk radio and Fox News.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Another take on the differences between Trump supporters and others:  The irreconcilable differences of this Presidency

And yes, Pavlovitz is a devout Xtian -- he's a preacher, in fact -- but don't let that put you off, he's completely sane.
Sandy

Dave

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 27, 2018, 12:04:01 AM
Another take on the differences between Trump supporters and others:  The irreconcilable differences of this Presidency

And yes, Pavlovitz is a devout Xtian -- he's a preacher, in fact -- but don't let that put you off, he's completely sane.

He is evidently a man who believes in "Christian values".  I can certainly respect him for that, whether someone called Jesus was the author of those values or merely promoted them.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

philosoraptor

As tempting as mocking Dumpster Fire supporters is, I don't think the insults really land anymore. They've had their twisted, bigoted, misogynistic, racist, homophobic POVs elevated into the highest office in the land, so they couldn't give a shit what the rest of us think, they figure we're just insulting them because we're sore losers. Which I suppose they're right, to a point. But I don't think insulting them really accomplishes anything-it certainly doesn't turn their hearts or change their minds, if anything, it just seems to reinforce to them the idea that somehow, they're in the right.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Asmodean

@OP Nah. Not buying it. I think it has to do with political block priorities, rather than the use and understanding of words.

Quote from: joeactor on August 23, 2018, 06:35:45 PM
Political correctness is not a conscious actor. If you are going to pin the blame on a donkey, then pin it on the correct donkey. It depends on how far back you want to go, but right here and now, I'd say that the culprit be the academia, specifically that dealing with sociology, gender studies, social justice and a couple of other more-or-less dead-end, more-or-less useless academic persuasions, churning out professional activists.  ;)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

John V

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 23, 2018, 01:19:47 AM
I found this very convincing.  It doesn't surprise me at all that Trump supporters and the rest of us are using the same words but meaning different things. 

QuoteOnce you grasp that for Trump and many of his supporters, corruption means less the violation of law than the violation of established hierarchies, their behavior makes more sense.

Why Trump Supporters Think He's Not Corrupt

Or maybe for Trump supporters corruption means proven violation of law, while for his critics alleged violations are sufficient.

Ecurb Noselrub

By now it's "Us" vs. "Them", it's a fight out on the field of battle. They may see flaws with their king, but no dissing the king during times of war.  No dissing the quarterback when the game is on the line.  It's one for all and all for one.  They can sort out the issues later - right now they are in full battle mode and want to win.  At this point, the Democrats have the ball and are marching forward.  The Trumpistas sense danger and are fighting back.  It does not good to question the quarterback now - he is getting sacked (tackled behind the line in American football), so his linemen have to protect him.  This won't end until one side has clearly won.