News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

A potential rule modification.

Started by Tank, March 18, 2018, 11:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on March 23, 2018, 07:02:45 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on March 22, 2018, 11:58:19 PM
As someone who could've rightly been called an extremist in the not so distant past, I wonder if this rule will be enforced on the basis of the, roughly, prevailing ideological leaning of the forum. This change was proposed based on the statements of a right wing ideologue, and I'm curious as to whether the same criteria would apply to someone from a far left group.

Just to be clear I don't really have a dog in this fight. My days of political activity are past. It's just something you might want to think about.

Serious question. What would a left wing extremist look like?

I suspect look and behave exactly the same as a right wing extremist.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Are there any left wing extremists left (er, you know what I mean)? Not sure that China and N. Korea count anymore, maybe Cuba?

Certainly never seen a left winger ranting on a forum - but then, I don't seek left wing forums.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

As someone who could've rightly been called an extremist in the not so distant past, I wonder if this rule will be enforced on the basis of the, roughly, prevailing ideological leaning of the forum. This change was proposed based on the statements of a right wing ideologue, and I'm curious as to whether the same criteria would apply to someone from a far left group.

Just to be clear I don't really have a dog in this fight. My days of political activity are past. It's just something you might want to think about.

Would "violent extremist ideologies" be a better approach, do you think? Also, note that the wording of the addition gives staff considerable leeway in regards to enforcement. For instance, if somebody comes along ranting about how P. Diddy is the absolute pinnacle of human righteousness and achievement, and will brook no contrary opinions or arguments, the rule doesn't require that the staff jump in with the ban hammer.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

I had to look "P. Diddy" up. Think I might have heard of "Puff Daddy" once.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 23, 2018, 08:28:45 AM
I had to look "P. Diddy" up. Think I might have heard of "Puff Daddy" once.

Me too. ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 23, 2018, 07:13:23 AM
Quote from: Tank on March 23, 2018, 07:02:45 AM

Serious question. What would a left wing extremist look like?

I suspect look and behave exactly the same as a right wing extremist.

I can think of two groups off the top of my head. The first would be the ALF, advocating or at least being sympathetic to violence in helping animals. The second would be the Spartacists, who have been known to hand out pamphlets suporting North Korea's "right" to have and use nuclear weapons. There are others I'm more familiar with on a person level, and although they wouldn't be as vocal or explicit in their choice of words I'd know what they were getting at from experience.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on March 23, 2018, 08:08:10 AM
Are there any left wing extremists left (er, you know what I mean)? Not sure that China and N. Korea count anymore, maybe Cuba?

Certainly never seen a left winger ranting on a forum - but then, I don't seek left wing forums.

There are quite a few still running around making mischief. They tend to fly under the radar but yes, they do exist.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: Recusant on March 23, 2018, 08:12:22 AM

Would "violent extremist ideologies" be a better approach, do you think? Also, note that the wording of the addition gives staff considerable leeway in regards to enforcement. For instance, if somebody comes along ranting about how P. Diddy is the absolute pinnacle of human righteousness and achievement, and will brook no contrary opinions or arguments, the rule doesn't require that the staff jump in with the ban hammer.

Perhaps it would. A rule like this might be best left vague now that I've thought about it some more though. If violence is the criteria I'm not sure our former Nazi representative would've been eligible for the boot though.

Magdalena

Quote from: jumbojak on March 23, 2018, 12:06:42 PM
Quote from: Recusant on March 23, 2018, 08:12:22 AM

Perhaps it would. A rule like this might be best left vague now that I've thought about it some more though. If violence is the criteria I'm not sure our former Nazi representative would've been eligible for the boot though.

Breatharian wasn't banned for being a violent Nazi, he was banned for making a racist comment:
Topic: Favorite '90s Song(s)
Quote from: Breatharian on March 05, 2018, 02:31:13 AM
Well, I have nothing against Asians, just other non-whites...

The rules right now say:
QuoteNO RACISM:  Racism and other forms of hate speech will simply not be tolerated by the administrators of this forum.

Did you want him to stick around to hear the reasons why he has nothing against Asians, just other non-whites? In a topic he started: Favorite '90s Song(s).

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

No, not at all. Either my memory went a little fuzzy or I'm mixing topics up in my head. The discussion here confused me a bit I guess, given what promped it.

Magdalena

Quote from: jumbojak on March 23, 2018, 01:44:40 PM
No, not at all. Either my memory went a little fuzzy or I'm mixing topics up in my head. The discussion here confused me a bit I guess, given what promped it.
Oh, OK.

I used to think like Davin:
Quote from: Davin on March 19, 2018, 02:33:54 PM
Ideally, we should allow people to speak their minds in an open format allowing discussion. The rules we have are adequate for that purpose.

However,

But now I think like Tank:
QuoteFed up with stupid.

I have enough stupidities with Trump. I, personally, don't need or come for more of that, here.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

Right wingers and left wingers are so antiquated. Ambidextrous wingers are where it's at.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.