News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Yeah, pretty spendy. I'll put bigger handles on the draw knife, instead.

Icarus

Yes mail gloves are spendy but not as much so as losing a finger or other essential body part.  Those are common in the textile industry where many plies of fabric are cut with a special tool that has a vertically reciprocating and super sharp blade.   In the distant past I owned several of the fabric cutter knives and a few pairs of stainless steel chain mail gloves. Yes spendy, but less costly than workers compensation lawsuits.

Shit happens as we are all aware. When I was a young man I worked with a construction crew for a while.  One of the carpenters was using a portable rotary saw from which he had removed the inconvenient pivoting blade guard.  In a moment of serious thought....or maybe not so serious thought, he had just cut a timber and, resting his arm, absent mindedly, lowered the saw to a position at his crotch.  The blade was still turning.  He would regret that innocent mistake for a long time. 

Dark Lightning

In my case, I generally only use hand squeezing force when I'm carving, not long muscles like my arms. This generally ensures that I have enough control. In the case with the draw knife, I should just round the corners of the blade, since they are never used when making a cut. As far as the rest of my carving, I don't generally use the glove, simply because I make sure that my appendages are behind the direction that the blade is moving. This was a special case, and I actually know better than to use the draw knife so. Just a dumb shit maneuver on my part.  :-[

I was knocking apart some concrete foundation forms with a 2 pound sledge and smashed my thumb, many (31) years ago. :o I was hopping around the yard ionizing the air, and my eldest son asked, "Daddy, why are you saying those words?". Yes, I know how to use a hammer, too. But sometimes we get in a hurry.  ;D

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Ionize the air: What a marvelously useful metaphor.  :boaterhat:

Essie Mae

Quote from: Icarus on February 13, 2019, 11:49:25 PM
Essie, the best of grannies do agonize over such things.  Try not to lose any sleep about things that you can not control. That is not to suggest that you should be  less interested in the welfare and development of your cherished grand daughter.

You're right of course. Reason to be v cheerful as we fly off to see them for 9 weeks in about 9 days. We'll just spend our time enjoying and spoiling them, 😎
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dark Lightning

@Tank and Icarus. Aye, it was a sulfurous blast indeed. That son is now serving in the US Air Force, and has taken those lessons learned at that early age to them. He doesn't cuss out subordinates (I've regaled him of many a time that I've had to take verbal abuse from someone who outranked me, simply because they outranked me), he just uses the language, but sparingly, because of stress cards.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 18, 2019, 01:02:53 AM
@Tank and Icarus. Aye, it was a sulfurous blast indeed. That son is now serving in the US Air Force, and has taken those lessons learned at that early age to them. He doesn't cuss out subordinates (I've regaled him of many a time that I've had to take verbal abuse from someone who outranked me, simply because they outranked me), he just uses the language, but sparingly, because of stress cards.

Good to hear he turned out right.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Icarus

A crusty old  mustang Lt. Commander once advised me to keep my mouth shut when a dipshit officer gives me some grief.  He advised me to use the Buddha method which amounts to silence but with a resounding  mental response.  The words he advised me think but not to utter was: Yes sir: fuck you sir.   Hey that worked well for me in the cases where I needed to heed his advise.

jumbojak

I had a really good workout tonight. Next week I may be showing up early one day with my camera for some motion capture experiments.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on March 01, 2019, 01:34:43 AM
I had a really good workout tonight. Next week I may be showing up early one day with my camera for some motion capture experiments.

That's a brilliant idea. Some multiple exposures will be interesting as well.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Turns out that my insurance is going to pay the lion's share of the repairs on my wife's car. Still going to have to school her on keeping food out of the car. The wiring can't possibly be that attractive to the rats on its own, imo.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 01, 2019, 11:03:55 PM
Turns out that my insurance is going to pay the lion's share of the repairs on my wife's car. Still going to have to school her on keeping food out of the car. The wiring can't possibly be that attractive to the rats on its own, imo.

Good news.

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant