News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

"You have nothing to believe in? How sad..."

Started by Sweetdeath, July 04, 2012, 10:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Non Quixote on July 18, 2012, 06:37:53 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 04, 2012, 10:47:21 PM
He sad he felt bad for me because i had "nothing to believe in."
He said he didn't understand people without religion, and don't want a connection to "God."
Yeah, I'm going out on a limb here and say that he didn't really feel bad for you, he just saw an opportunity to do the Superior Dance while attempting to make you feel bad for not being a believer.  There's really no other reason to say something like that.

That sort of response from a Christian generally finds me bringing out my verbal championship dart set.  Very few things make me angrier than someone being condescending to me.  Especially if they're riding the intellectual short bus.

I applaud your self control and your ability to rise above his taunt.

Haha, thank you very much. I like how high up they think they are on the intelligence and noble bar.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Hector Valdez

"You pitiful, disgusting schmuck. I feel sorry for you, you baby pissant, and whoever told you of the propriety of your awful, awful words, because not only will you rot in hell for your unfounded superiority complex, but I will see you there. Furthermore, we are going to be close, close friends in the divine opera. I will be the evil puppet master, while you will be my tiny, helpless, marionnette."

On a side note, did you know that the function of x such that f(x) = {x | x = -+a/-+b} where both a and b are prime constants or prime additive inverse constants, produces a really fucked up graph?

OldGit

Hmm.  I can fuck up a graph without f(x) = {x | x = -+a/-+b}.

Asmodean

Quote from: RenegeReversi on July 23, 2012, 04:37:33 PM
On a side note, did you know that the function of x such that f(x) = {x | x = -+a/-+b} where both a and b are prime constants or prime additive inverse constants, produces a really fucked up graph?
Define "fucked up"  ???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on July 25, 2012, 06:27:16 AM
Define "fucked up"  ???

I hope it's a pie graph. Mm, pie.. :D

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 26, 2012, 04:00:08 PM
Define "fucked up"  ???

Did you know that the pie chart was invented by Florence Nightingale?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on July 26, 2012, 04:01:07 PM
Define "fucked up"  ???

I did not O_O!
That's pretty damn cool.  :)

Ecurb Noselrub

Wiki disputes that, but I haven't checked the references:

The earliest known pie chart is generally credited to William Playfair's Statistical Breviary of 1801, in which two such graphs are used.[1][2] This invention was not widely used at first;[1] the French engineer Charles Joseph Minard was one of the first to use it in 1858, in particular in maps where he needs to add information in a third dimension.[21] It has been said that Florence Nightingale invented it, though in fact she just popularised it and she was later assumed to have created it due to the obscurity of Playfair's creation.[22]

One of William Playfair's pie charts in his Statistical Breviary, depicting the proportions of the Turkish Empire located in Asia, Europe and Africa before 1789.

Minard's map using pie charts to represent the cattle sent from all around France for consumption in Paris (1858).

xSilverPhinx

Define "fucked up"  ???

BBC did a series on diagrams a while back, including Nightingale's chart. There were on others such as Leonardo DaVinci, Carl Sagan and the diagram of the discovery of DNA paper. Well worth the watch. :)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

If I had invented it, it wouldn't be called the Pie Chart, but the Pizza Chart for sure. ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 27, 2012, 12:30:01 AM

Wiki disputes that, but I haven't checked the references:

The earliest known pie chart is generally credited to William Playfair's Statistical Breviary of 1801, in which two such graphs are used.[1][2] This invention was not widely used at first;[1] the French engineer Charles Joseph Minard was one of the first to use it in 1858, in particular in maps where he needs to add information in a third dimension.[21] It has been said that Florence Nightingale invented it, though in fact she just popularised it and she was later assumed to have created it due to the obscurity of Playfair's creation.[22]

One of William Playfair's pie charts in his Statistical Breviary, depicting the proportions of the Turkish Empire located in Asia, Europe and Africa before 1789.

Minard's map using pie charts to represent the cattle sent from all around France for consumption in Paris (1858).

Well, wiki can be edited by anyone...,so...

OldGit

I've also heard that Florence Nightingale invented the pie-chart, so if it's not true, it's well-known.

Tank

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Nightingale#Statistics_and_sanitary_reform

QuoteStatistics and sanitary reform

Florence Nightingale exhibited a gift for mathematics from an early age and excelled in the subject under the tutorship of her father. Later, Nightingale became a pioneer in the visual presentation of information and statistical graphics.[28] She used methods such as the pie chart, which had first been developed by William Playfair in 1801. While taken for granted now, it was at the time a relatively novel method of presenting data.[29]

Indeed, Nightingale is described as "a true pioneer in the graphical representation of statistics", and is credited with developing a form of the pie chart now known as the polar area diagram,[30] or occasionally the Nightingale rose diagram, equivalent to a modern circular histogram, in order to illustrate seasonal sources of patient mortality in the military field hospital she managed. Nightingale called a compilation of such diagrams a "coxcomb", but later that term would frequently be used for the individual diagrams. She made extensive use of coxcombs to present reports on the nature and magnitude of the conditions of medical care in the Crimean War to Members of Parliament and civil servants who would have been unlikely to read or understand traditional statistical reports.
"Diagram of the causes of mortality in the army in the East" by Florence Nightingale.

In her later life Nightingale made a comprehensive statistical study of sanitation in Indian rural life and was the leading figure in the introduction of improved medical care and public health service in India. In 1858 and 1859 she successfully lobbied for the establishment of a Royal Commission into the Indian situation. Two years later she provided a report to the commission, which completed its own study in 1863. "After 10 years of sanitary reform, in 1873, Nightingale reported that mortality among the soldiers in India had declined from 69 to 18 per 1,000".[30]

In 1859 Nightingale was elected the first female member of the Royal Statistical Society and she later became an honorary member of the American Statistical Association.

It would appear that FN didn't invent the pie chart but a popular variation thereof.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

'Farting Flo', as they called her, was also a founder member of the British Women's synchronised farting association.  Her squad took a gold at the Much Wenlock games in 1893.

En_Route

Quote from: OldGit on July 27, 2012, 10:44:42 AM
'Farting Flo', as they called her, was also a founder member of the British Women's synchronised farting association.  Her squad took a gold at the Much Wenlock games in 1893.

Weren't there allegations she had used her medical expertise to  enhance her performance by the illegal use of Sennapods? Created a bit of a stink if I recall correctly.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).