News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

evolution

Started by quizlixx, August 12, 2008, 12:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quizlixx

i told a friend of mine i'm an atheist and to my surprise, he wasn't angry or confused, he simpl said. "so do you believe in evolution?". i didn't know how to respond, i thought evolution was pretty much a fact not something to be "believed" in. :hmm:
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Whitney

Is your friend a creationist?  If so, that would explain why s/he asked that question.

myleviathan

Evolution is a theory based on many facts. Evolution itelf isn't a 'fact'. Creationists are always attributing faith to science. It's a semantic weapon (and defense mechanism) that
1) Attempts to bring scienctific principles down to their level: a level of superstition and non-facts based belief
2) Makes Christians feel justified in believing an ancient drama that has no rational basis by claiming evolutionists 'believe' the same way they do

What they fail to overlook when they claim we 'believe' in evolution is that our 'belief' is based on observation and heavily tested facts. So if somebody asks you if you believe in evolution, say no. Say that based on facts - evolution is the most rational conclusion.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Squid

Quote from: "quizlixx"i told a friend of mine i'm an atheist and to my surprise, he wasn't angry or confused, he simpl said. "so do you believe in evolution?". i didn't know how to respond, i thought evolution was pretty much a fact not something to be "believed" in. :hmm:

My usual reply is something along the line of, "I don't have to, the evidence speaks for itself."

Asmodean

Quote from: "myleviathan"Evolution itelf isn't a 'fact'.
It is. Evolution is a scientific fact and a scientific theory.

Wiki
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.