News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Creationist/Flat Earth/Etc Images

Started by Pasta Chick, December 07, 2016, 03:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 07, 2016, 10:30:37 PM
I think the whole idea was they don't know what theyre talking about.
They use tools above their intellectual pay grade to talk about that, which they know nothing about too. That was the meet of my beef (he-he...) in this thread.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Asmodean on December 08, 2016, 06:28:58 AM
They use tools above their intellectual pay grade to talk about that, which they know nothing about too. That was the meet of my beef (he-he...) in this thread.

Stupid people are too stupid too understand how stupid they are.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 08, 2016, 10:18:10 AM

We are not!

Wait, is this a clever people thing?
I hate the clever, they're so trixey.
Don't trust 'em, won't vote for 'em
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Asmodean

Ah! Men.

Actually, I did read a research article some years ago about self-perception and intelligence. The study seemed to indicate that those with below average IQ tend to consider themselves "as smart as the next guy." My personal experience tends to agree.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Asmodean on December 08, 2016, 12:59:12 PM

Ah! Men.

Actually, I did read a research article some years ago about self-perception and intelligence. The study seemed to indicate that those with below average IQ tend to consider themselves "as smart as the next guy." My personal experience tends to agree.

Dunning-Kruger, I believe. I deal with that every day.

Also why I'm suspicious of anyone who never says anything to the effect of "I don't know, let me look for further info"

Asmodean

Yes, something like that, although I seem to remember it being specifically about intelligence, and not experience. Pretty much the same curve though, albeit with non-zero Xinit and Yinit values. One is drawn to assume that that may (probably in part) have something to do with the fact that if you are too dim to reflect on your own intellectual capacity, you just don't.

From there, the very unintelligent think themselves average, the average think themselves a bit dimmer than they actually are, the smart... Usually know how smart they themselves are, but are prone to attributing intelligence to themselves and especially others, which they do not possess.

Thus, if the puma-person was for real, one may assume that he or she thought themselves clever in making that particular point in that particular fashion. An Asmo looking on it from the outside though, can not understand how such levels of ignorance are possible in someone capable of writing and manipulating pictures.

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Quote from: Asmodean on December 08, 2016, 02:33:04 PM
From there, the very unintelligent think themselves average, the average think themselves a bit dimmer than they actually are, the smart... Usually know how smart they themselves are, but are prone to attributing intelligence to themselves and especially others, which they do not possess.

I do not fully agree on the basis that truly smart people are fully aware that they do not know what they do not know. In fact the really smart people have no trouble or hesitation in pronouncing themselves ignorant of most of the worlds collective knowledge. When one thinks of the library of congress, for example, it is easy to be humble despite ones superior IQ.

Asmodean

Quote from: Icarus on December 10, 2016, 04:04:44 AM
I do not fully agree on the basis that truly smart people are fully aware that they do not know what they do not know. In fact the really smart people have no trouble or hesitation in pronouncing themselves ignorant of most of the worlds collective knowledge. When one thinks of the library of congress, for example, it is easy to be humble despite ones superior IQ.
That is certainly true, if not quite what I was talking about, intelligence not being synonymous with knowledge. It does come close though, so it's certainly something to consider. The problem I see is that for the more intelligent, there may be a difference between general self-perception and calculated response when "pressed" into it.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Quote from: Apathy on December 08, 2016, 05:02:44 AM

Look at this shit^^^ this shit makes no god damn sense. The sun light travels in a narrow cone pattern instead of in all directions like it REALLY DOES

Did no-one notice?

Er, how many hemispheres does a flat surface have?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Asmodean

Quote from: Gloucester on December 10, 2016, 06:18:17 PM
Er, how many hemispheres does a flat surface have?
Hemidiscs.  :smilenod:

But them real flat-Earthers, if there are indeed such creatures and The Asmo is not being messed with as He suspects, do they believe it's... What? Shaped like a frisbie? How do they explain...

...Well, everything?  :(

I mean, screw the Sun. Magnetosphere? Being able to fly across Antarctica? Like... Mars? Plate tectonics? Fucking distances to stuff?

oO(Vanishing points?! The Asmo IS being messed with.  :sadnod: )
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

"Sphere" is like, just a word, man. It doesn't have to mean round, it's just, you know, a term.

...I could actually go on a massive and mostly unrelated rant about how people seem to not give a fuck that words have specific meanings and you can't just spew them forth and redefine them later at will. But I feel like that is an entire thread of its own.

As to the rest... FES FAQ

In short, they have no posted explanation for why the sun moves back and forth. The Earth is a radial magnet, though, because reasons, and I'm sure it's pulling it, also because reasons.

Pasta Chick

Asmodean

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 11, 2016, 11:46:48 AM
As to the rest... FES FAQ

In short, they have no posted explanation for why the sun moves back and forth. The Earth is a radial magnet, though, because reasons, and I'm sure it's pulling it, also because reasons.
But... But...  :(
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Arturo

This girl isn't for real but she makes it believable.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Pasta Chick