News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Ask a Brit III

Started by Sandra Craft, November 24, 2018, 04:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 04, 2018, 03:42:27 AM
I find watching cooking shows relaxing, even if I will probably never cook any of the dishes. People like Rick Stein, Nigella Lawson, and the Hairy Bikers have a calming effect om me. Gordon Ramsey and Jamie Oliver are at times too frenetic for my "taste".

I don't like Gordon Ramsey. It's like the guy can't take the heat yet stays in the kitchen. ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 04, 2018, 07:34:22 PM
I find watching cooking shows relaxing, even if I will probably never cook any of the dishes. People like Rick Stein, Nigella Lawson, and the Hairy Bikers have a calming effect om me. Gordon Ramsey and Jamie Oliver are at times too frenetic for my "taste".

I don't like Gordon Ramsey. It's like the guy can't take the heat yet stays in the kitchen. ::)

I miss the Two Fat Ladies.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

I often watch cooking shows. Alton Brown is my favorite because he sometimes explains what is happening with some of the chemical reactions involved in the mixing and application of heat to the ingredients..so maybe I am a science nerd.  Alton Brown also rides a BMW motorcycle.  Way back in the olden days I was a franchised dealer for BMW bikes.

Sandy, I am unfamiliar with the Two Fat Ladies.    Are they the ones that the game ain't over until one of them sings?

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 04, 2018, 07:34:22 PM

I don't know the show, but I know the name from the things that the rest of the family talks about. Some kind of incendiary reactor to poor performance in a kitchen. I attribute that all to the "artificial angst" that is Hollywood, though I must say that Hollywood isn't even close to having a patent on it. There are plenty of other locations for the making of movies and television programming, where the denizens also participate in manufacturing that angst.

Recusant

I also regret that the Two Fat Ladies are no longer with us. They had excellent recipes and a great attitude toward cooking and life.  :blue smiley:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on December 05, 2018, 07:52:55 AM
I also regret that the Two Fat Ladies are no longer with us. They had excellent recipes and a great attitude toward cooking and life.  :blue smiley:

Agreed.  And Icarus, just for you, here is the first episode of their show:

Sandy

Icarus

Thank you Sandy.  I confess that I am not nearly as worldly as some of my virtual friends at HAF. Therefore I could not have been as aware of the two fat ladies.  They are a charming and adventurous pair that also have some apparent skills in the kitchen.....and riding around on a motorcycle equipped with a "side hack".

hermes2015

I always loved them. I have one of their books on my shelf.

Does anyone here remember Fanny Cradock and her husband?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on December 06, 2018, 12:23:59 AM
Thank you Sandy.  I confess that I am not nearly as worldly as some of my virtual friends at HAF. Therefore I could not have been as aware of the two fat ladies.  They are a charming and adventurous pair that also have some apparent skills in the kitchen.....and riding around on a motorcycle equipped with a "side hack".

Known as a "Side car" in the UK.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on December 05, 2018, 07:00:36 PM
Quote from: Recusant on December 05, 2018, 07:52:55 AM

Agreed.  And Icarus, just for you, here is the first episode of their show:

Never heard of them before. Bookmarked. Do they give tips on how not to be a disaster in the kitchen? :P

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 07, 2018, 12:20:23 AM

Never heard of them before. Bookmarked. Do they give tips on how not to be a disaster in the kitchen? :P

I don't remember anything specifically, but I do think the recipes they used were fairly straightforward and well explained.  Sometimes that's all we can hope for.
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on December 07, 2018, 01:59:57 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 07, 2018, 12:20:23 AM

I don't remember anything specifically, but I do think the recipes they used were fairly straightforward and well explained.  Sometimes that's all we can hope for.

Yeah...well if I can try and succeed, anybody can. I am definitely the lowest common denominator!