News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Dragon speech recognition software.

Started by Tank, March 10, 2018, 03:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I am testing the new Dragon software that I have just installed on this computer it means I can type without using the keyboard which means my posts will get massive.

Some of you are gonna get really fed up with my long posts. :grin:

It's not as easy as you might think and you have to train the software to recognise your voice. For some reason the software found it easier to recognise my wife's accident than mine. I said accent you stupid bucking software. I said bucking. Really bucking! This for a game of soldiers flocking typical it can't recognise one of my favourite words!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

I just trained the software to recognise the word Fucking and it worked :grin:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Interestingly it capitalises the word Fucking because that's what I typed into it when I was training it.

Tank

Given that this is the first time I have tried to use the software I'm actually quite impressed. It does require that you talk in a particularly robotic fashion but it is a lot quicker than typing. It cost £80 and that was impressive because I didn't type LXXX it just went Roman numeral on me!

Tank

Mary had a Little Lamb its fleece was white as snow and met freeware that Mary went the lamb was sure to go.

Mary had a Little Lamb its fleece was white as snow and everywhere that Mary went the lamb was sure to go.

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. Again it got those both right first time very impressive.

1) it also allows you to do numbers and special characters.

Dave

Tried that when it first came out many decamoon's ago. Foundvthst, for snything serioys, you have to really think how to express ideas, then tslk quite slowly.

My then boss, a techno-geek of the first water, was all keen to get it, until he realised, that, in our open plan office, everyone would be able to hear what he "wrote". That idea then hit the deck like a lead balloon, he was a very insecure and secretive man.

Another, bit of a fluffer and waffler, gave it up because he kept correcting himself out loud, as if he were talking to a person, "No, sorry I meant 'grit' - oh shit, no, er . . ."

I am guessing the techniques and processing speed have helped improve it, but compared to how much in-cloud processing Alexa et al need to get it near right . . . One day we will have pocket supercomputers with exabites of onboard memory running of body heat - perhaps!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

I bought some speech recognition software many years ago and it was utter crap, this is way better than that. My wife suffers from carpal tunnel problems and had to get this software will work, so she also wanted on her PC at home hence the installation today.

When you first install the software you have to do a short training session. That worked very well for my wife but not so much from me. So after I completed my initial installation I carried out an accuracy task which meant reading text from the screen, after that improved dramatically and it's now pretty much perfect with my normal speech patterns. Even when I speak as quickly as I can it seems to catch most things just like it did then.

Given your keyboard problems Dave it could well be a great investment for you :D

Tank

Testing where the text goes if there is no cursor on the screen. It appears that the text is pasted to the clipboard.

Dave

Perhaps Mrs T has just had more "enunciation practice". She has my sympathies re the CTS, have had both my hands done about 30 years ago but it is still creeping back at night.

Have thought about using speechrecog but I often spend big gaps thinking of how to put things in words then editing (as much for the use of English as the spelling and typos!) (No, more!!).

You need to see my friend Jane's emails typed with the, er, aid of predictive text!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Dave on March 10, 2018, 05:25:11 PM
Perhaps Mrs T has just had more "enunciation practice". She has my sympathies re the CTS, have had both my hands done about 30 years ago but it is still creeping back at night.

Have thought about using speechrecog but I often spend big gaps thinking of how to put things in words then editing (as much for the use of English as the spelling and typos!) (No, more!!).

You need to see my friend Jane's emails typed with the, er, aid of predictive text!

If you stop while you are dictating the software simply waits for you to start speaking again so taking gaps is not an issue but I would suspect making extraneous sounds while you are thinking would cause it problems. Apparently there are predictive text options but I have not switched those on, it appears to be working fine without.

Tank

At this rate I'll get to 30,000 posts in no time!

Tank

Tank

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on March 10, 2018, 03:00:13 PM
For some reason the software found it easier to recognise my wife's accident than mine. I said accent you stupid bucking software. I said bucking. Really bucking! This for a game of soldiers flocking typical it can't recognise one of my favourite words!

:rofl:

*swipes tear from eye*
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

Glad that you've gotten the voice to text to work for you Tank. I still don't trust it after Siri decided that I was definitely texting my mom for sex...
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.