News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Gadgets

Started by Dave, February 24, 2018, 08:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

QuoteA gadget is a small tool such as a machine that has a particular function, but is often thought of as a novelty. Gadgets are sometimes referred to as gizmos. Wikipedia

On a light philosophical level I thought about the local library's "Gadget Day" and smartphones, tablets and laptops. Are these not so ubiquitous they are no longer "gadgets" but "essential" items in the life of many?

The various devices you can now shout at to accomplish simple tasks are still definitely "gadgets", perhaps they, and "smart glasses," will become ubiquitous and lose that novelty quality to become as everyday, as unremarkable, as a knife and fork (which were once novel and leading edge technology.)

What, in terms of technological objects, of any kind, is "essential" in your life and what do you desire to be part of it - either known to be possible or bordering on fantasy?

I will admit I hanker after the idea of super smart "glasses" with constant access to the Internet and the "cloud" and decent AI capabilities. But fully filtered from adverts!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Something else just occurred to me - the problems inherent with some kinds of devices. We have Alexa, Echo, Cortana and Siri. Perhaps it is indicative of something that, on searching for the Apple app, most of the links were in the class of, "How to disable voice control [on Apple devices]" !

But, there have already been tales of Alexis reacting to adverts on TV where the voice control is demonstrated. Picking an existing name is also a bit silly, but how long before parents start naming their kid "Cortana"? So calling for someone might trigger any devices within hearing!

Perhaps the ability to invent and register a unique name is needed, with a set distance between any two with the same or a very similar name? Two "Tockle"s or "Spenny"s in one room might get confusing! I predict a fashion for combined names, where Dave and Sharon might call theirs "Dasha", or "Shada" of course. Or both if they each have their own . . .

[Edited when I found the name of Aples vouce responder?]

Tank

The scary thing about these voice operated devices is that they must be listening and processing all the sounds they 'hear'. If not how do they recognise their particular trigger word?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on February 24, 2018, 09:37:11 AM
The scary thing about these voice operated devices is that they must be listening and processing all the sounds they 'hear'. If not how do they recognise their particular trigger word?

Yeah, that's why TV ads etc set them off. But, also yes, the fear of "Who else might be listening" has also been well voiced.

QuoteIs Amazon's Alexa SPYING on you? Rise in 'always listening' smart assistants raises major privacy fears.
- Daily Wail

QuoteOutcry over snooping 'Paddington Bear' that could be used to spy on ex-partners.
- Torygraph

QuoteGoodbye privacy, hello 'Alexa': Amazon Echo, the home robot who hears it all
- Grauniad

Etc.

Thus the need for personal, wearable and fully controllable devices rather than area-wide jobs - though they might still have their place.