News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Billy Graham

Started by Icarus, February 22, 2018, 11:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Billy Graham has gone to live in the house of the lord.  He is a much revered evangelist who was an effectual and popular Jesus show business guy.  He was 99 at his TOD.  He had a profound influence for many people over a long and prosperous career.  He was not one of the overt prosperity preachers but he did manage to make plenty of money during his regime.  He will be sorely missed by many of his admirers. I am not one of those admirers but I do recognize that he was an influential and perhaps even an honestly sincere Christian person..  RIP Billy.

Recusant

There have been worse. He was a product of his times (his bigotry against Jews and condemnation of gay people, for instance) as well as somebody who had an effect on them. He was a huckster, but I agree that he was perhaps sincere in his beliefs.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

He made mistakes, but overall was better than the vast majority of what we have out there today. I went to one of his crusades in 1965 in the Astrodome when I was 13.  He had a powerful speaking voice and presence, but once you heard one of his sermons you heard them all.  He was certainly preferable to his son.

Tank

That cunt mind raped a relative of mine, destroying his life and that of his family. Good ridence to bad rubbish. The lies that man spouted throughout his life don't bear thinking about. Without doubt one of the single most delusional and dangerous human beings who ever lived.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bluenose

I almost wish there were an afterlife and judgement day so that pieces of shit like Billy Graham and his ilk can get their just desserts.  Any supreme being worth its salt would be very unimpressed by his BS, I am sure.  Alas, he is off the hook.  Pity, really.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett