News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Everything is now going to be alright...things are good in the world!

Started by Biggus Dickus, December 15, 2017, 04:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

The date has been set: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to wed on May 19, 2018
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

Watch for the government putting out bad news using this as a smoke screen.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Yet another day to celebrate the fact that I have no TV and a time for which to select a few podcasts instead of listening to the radio!

:geezer!:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

I actually like Harry - hope they are happy.  I'm sort of partial to the boys, given the fact that they lost their mother and have both rebounded to serve their country well. Now Charles & Camilla can go jump in the pond.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 15, 2017, 05:28:25 PM
I actually like Harry - hope they are happy.  I'm sort of partial to the boys, given the fact that they lost their mother and have both rebounded to serve their country well. Now Charles & Camilla can go jump in the pond.

I think if Charles had any brains he would abdicate so that the next in line could inherit the throne.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Despite the fact that I have minus 1000% interest in the Royal Splicing I also think Harry is not a bad bloke and she sounds like she has s good number of active brain cells. I guess Grandma is paying it but will she be paying for the extra police etc that ewll be needed I wonder?

Yeah, I am 1 x 10-6% in favour of the Proper Charlie putting the big shiny hat on and waving his orb about.

AngelOfDeath

I don't understand why "english royalty" wouldn't prefer to find an english woman to marry.  I'm not a fan of any of them

Dave

Quote from: AngelOfDeath on December 15, 2017, 06:13:53 PM
I don't understand why "english royalty" wouldn't prefer to find an english woman to marry.  I'm not a fan of any of them

He is just exercising his right to marry who he wants to, just like any other person. Rather that than some genetically chosen woman.

Heh, perhaps it is a pity he is not a homosexual and going for an SSM!

AngelOfDeath

back in the good ol' days they used to at least marry other royalty.  Seems so silly anymore.

Tank

They tried that. She died.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: AngelOfDeath on December 15, 2017, 06:29:29 PM

back in the good ol' days they used to at least marry other royalty.  Seems so silly anymore.

What would be the point of that now? Back then they married into the few other powerful families to secure alliances. Now that many have lost political power it seems pointless. Not to mention even more inbreeding is biologically "dangerous".
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

AngelOfDeath

Quote from: Tank on December 15, 2017, 07:24:55 PM
They tried that. She died.

Who died?  I can't keep track.

AngelOfDeath

There would be no point now.  I think the only point of them now is to fill tabloids.  Maybe one of the native Brits here can explain the value of the modern royalty.  As a 'yank' I just don't get it.

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on December 16, 2017, 04:21:49 AM
Though it's disputed by an element of the anti-royal faction, the royal family of Great Britain is reported to be a net contributor to the economy of the UK.

"British royal family is worth more than £60bn, finds new report: Research finds the royal family contributes nearly £1.8bn to the UK economy each year" | The Independent

Since the royals act like a company these days, running profit making businesses etc, they now pay taxes - and rightly so. They do also attract tourists and are worth keeping for that alone. The other side is that Gloucestershiren police get no extra national funding for the security of their estates in the county. Thus I could be said to be supporting their lifestyle with my council tax!

Even if they can be defined as a nationsl asset I still don't want Charlie anywhere near the big seat. Unfortunately I swore an oath to support the monarch on joining the RAF and it still counts. As a patriot I dupport my country, and neither the monarch nor the government are my country in concrete terms - in fact the latter can sometines be defined as a national enemy in my estimation!