News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

A potential rule modification.

Started by Tank, March 18, 2018, 11:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Magdalena on March 23, 2018, 07:28:41 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 23, 2018, 04:22:42 PM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on March 23, 2018, 04:14:36 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 23, 2018, 03:45:04 PM
Or no wingers.

What about Debra Winger?
I think Debra Winger should always be allowed.
What about food extremist like, vegans?  :eyebrow:

Less people eating meat → cheaper meat = Vegans good
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on March 23, 2018, 07:25:09 PM
Can we at least try to stay on topic please?

Cat herder [sneer emoticon hsssss)

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on March 24, 2018, 02:03:44 PM
Or no wingers.

What about Debra Winger?

You sure about that first part, Penny? The second part is judgment.

If the market for meat vollapses, because lots of people have stopped eating it, Farmer Giles has to reduce his beef herd of 200 to, ssy, 20. But he still needs to pay bills and taxes - which will not reduce by a factor of ten. So, no option but to charge more for what has now become a niche product!

Of course, if the change occurs slowly over a long period, like a generation, beef farmers will decline slowly, but betcha beef gets no cheaper! Same for all other meats.

I have to admit that I enjoy the taste of most Quorn products but had to get used to the texture. Just eaten some beef jerky, not found a veggie product to equal that texture.

However, the potential for nutrients per hectare certainly favour veggy stuff - and more so with GMOs - so long as they don't use aggro chemicals by the ton and poison the waterways.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on March 24, 2018, 02:20:31 PM
Or no wingers.

What about Debra Winger?

If the market for meat vollapses, because lots of people have stopped eating it, Farmer Giles has to reduce his beef herd of 200 to, ssy, 20. But he still needs to pay bills and taxes - which will not reduce by a factor of ten. So, no option but to charge more for what has now become a niche product!

Of course, if the change occurs slowly over a long period, like a generation, beef farmers will decline slowly, but betcha beef gets no cheaper! Same for all other meats.

I have to admit that I enjoy the taste of most Quorn products but had to get used to the texture. Just eaten some beef jerky, not found a veggie product to equal that texture.

However, the potential for nutrients per hectare certainly favour veggy stuff - and more so with GMOs - so long as they don't use aggro chemicals by the ton and poison the waterways.

Why assume the market vollapses?
And I thought farmer Giles was a pig farmer anyway, isn't he of Ham?

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on March 24, 2018, 03:02:15 PM
Quote from: Dave on March 24, 2018, 02:20:31 PM
Or no wingers.

What about Debra Winger?

Why assume the market vollapses?
And I thought farmer Giles was a pig farmer anyway, isn't he of Ham?

Nfewer people buying a product usualy causes a fall in price and thus market value. Ubtil it reaches a new level (maybe higher) as a luxury or niche product.

Anyway, had a 100% veggie tea: carrot, cuccumber, red pepper, sweet chillies, olives, tomatoes, celery with crusty olive bread spread with olive oil derived immitation butter.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on March 18, 2018, 11:31:35 AM
The recent events with Bretheren (he declared himself a Nazi) have led to discussions among the staff. The discussion led to the consideration of adding a new rule. In essence the rule would allow the staff to circumvent the existing 'three striles and you're out' for new members that support or are members of known racist, sexist or hate groups. The staff could effectivly ban on first offence.

What are your thoughts?

You have my vote...Fuck White Nationalists!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tom62

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on March 27, 2018, 06:01:57 PM
The recent events with Bretheren (he declared himself a Nazi) have led to discussions among the staff. The discussion led to the consideration of adding a new rule. In essence the rule would allow the staff to circumvent the existing 'three striles and you're out' for new members that support or are members of known racist, sexist or hate groups. The staff could effectivly ban on first offence.

What are your thoughts?

Fuck all extremists. I don't give a shit about their colour.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

hermes2015

Quote from: Tom62 on March 28, 2018, 05:29:24 AM

What are your thoughts?

One hundred percent agreement from me.
:thumbsup:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Rift Zone

The way in which this was approached alone leaves the impression such power won't be abused.   So, I'd probably be on board with it even if my feelings about the situation wasn't along the lines of:  fuck all that; lose the lesser quality beings the moment they reveal themselves!    I simply won't have anything to do with hate groups/haters, including hang'n out in the same cyberspace.
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Bad Penny II

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 28, 2018, 05:33:49 AM

What are your thoughts?

The A problem is extremists don't think they're extremists.
I think climate change is pretty scary and some definite if not drastic action is warranted.  I'm an extremist to some, though I think I'm prudent. It's messy, this human being business.

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on March 28, 2018, 10:08:51 AM

What are your thoughts?

I think climate change is pretty scary and some definite if not drastic action is warranted.  I'm an extremist to some, though I think I'm prudent. It's messy, this human being business.

That is a fair point, in the sense that one persons terrorist is another persons freedom fighter. The reason for this rule addition was that we had never come up against a self confessed Nazi before. If he had just stated that inclination and not made a racist comment that member would probably still be here. But he did choose to make a racist comment. Now technically at the moment that should have been a first warning under the 'three strikes and you're out' mechanism. I took it upon myself to ban him at that point without giving the required two more warnings. But I don't like ignoring the rules of the forum (although it wouldn't be the first time I have done it). So if we get members of recognised extremist groups like the Nazi party or KKK I would like the staff to have the option to use the ban hammer on first offence if required. Does that make sense?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on March 28, 2018, 11:16:34 AM
So if we get members of recognised extremist groups like the Nazi party or KKK I would like the staff to have the option to use the ban hammer on first offence if required. Does that make sense?

Of course it does.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on March 28, 2018, 11:16:34 AM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on March 28, 2018, 10:08:51 AM

What are your thoughts?

That is a fair point, in the sense that one persons terrorist is another persons freedom fighter. The reason for this rule addition was that we had never come up against a self confessed Nazi before. If he had just stated that inclination and not made a racist comment that member would probably still be here. But he did choose to make a racist comment. Now technically at the moment that should have been a first warning under the 'three strikes and you're out' mechanism. I took it upon myself to ban him at that point without giving the required two more warnings. But I don't like ignoring the rules of the forum (although it wouldn't be the first time I have done it). So if we get members of recognised extremist groups like the Nazi party or KKK I would like the staff to have the option to use the ban hammer on first offence if required. Does that make sense?

Absolutely it does, and I'm behind you 110 percent on this one Tank 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on March 22, 2018, 10:40:20 PM
Here's a proposed addition to the rules of the site, intended to address this issue. It isn't necessarily a final draft. Suggestions or discussion by the members may produce improvements to the wording.

New members who espouse support for extremist ideologies or known hate groups may not receive the full benefit of the Rule Enforcement Process, and may be summarily banned at the discretion of the staff of the site.

So would any body like to comment on the proposed wording of the additional rule?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on March 28, 2018, 01:03:11 PM
Quote from: Recusant on March 22, 2018, 10:40:20 PM
Here's a proposed addition to the rules of the site, intended to address this issue. It isn't necessarily a final draft. Suggestions or discussion by the members may produce improvements to the wording.

New members who espouse support for extremist ideologies or known hate groups may not receive the full benefit of the Rule Enforcement Process, and may be summarily banned at the discretion of the staff of the site.

So would any body like to comment on the proposed wording of the additional rule?

New members who espouse support for extremist ideologies or known hate groups,
May be:
Summarily banned because they support extremist ideologies or known hate groups or
Sold for use in medical and or behavioural experiments to finance this forum or
Otherwise disposed of at whim of members