News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Official* HAF Video Game Thread

Started by curiosityandthecat, March 17, 2009, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on May 01, 2018, 04:02:10 PM
Try DOS Box see if that works. It emulates DOS from a long time ago so it might work with games released in 1996. If that doesn't work, I'll try to find the game and see if I can get it running.

I found out that I actually had the game I was looking for on an emulator for the playstation 1 heh. I am familiar with dos box actually back when Windows Vista was still around. However I used it to play games that I already had like "Shadow President"

But recently I've actually been playing Super Smash Flash. A free fan game based on the "Super Smash Brother's" Nintendo series. It's physics seem to be based on Melee but have elements from future games like the smash trophies that unleash a character to beat your opponents. The game also auto-updates itself which is really cool for a free game but they do take certain things out to work on their compatibility like for instance the smash ball was taken out and is to be rereleased in the next update sometime this year. Also disappointingly there aren't very many unlockables. Mostly stages. So the character set that you get is essentially the only one besides the addition of the sand bag which you get by beating someone who has beat a developer or some other way I forgot. But I got it from playing my friend who had beat a developer anyways. And there is a fabulous online play that works very well. So I am okay with that for now.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

joeactor

BTW, just had a game I worked on come out (well, chapter 4).

I play Bertrum Piedmont in "Bendy and the Ink Machine"

The style is very retro cartoon. And creepy...

Here's a trailer (let me know if anybody plays the game)

Magdalena

Quote from: joeactor on May 17, 2018, 12:48:52 AM

Ha! My seven year old son wants to play this game! He begs me everyday to let him play it. Like you said, "creepy." I don't think it's appropriate for a first grader.  :notsure:

For many days he went around singing this song:  :-\
It's catchy.
:picard facepalm:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Looks like a great game, I really like the aesthetics.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

Quote from: joeactor on May 17, 2018, 12:48:52 AM

I follow this guy on YouTube who has done voice work for them and he played the game in a few videos. Very good game by the looks of it. Congrats.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

joeactor

Thanks Arturo, Davin and Mags!

Mags - yeah... I probably wouldn't let my kid play it. A bit too creepy. But then, I grew up on creepier stuff.
Maybe that explains a lot...

Magdalena

Quote from: joeactor on May 17, 2018, 07:27:18 PM
Thanks Arturo, Davin and Mags!

Mags - yeah... I probably wouldn't let my kid play it. A bit too creepy. But then, I grew up on creepier stuff.
Maybe that explains a lot...
:snicker:

I took my son to the school Halloween party and another first grader was dressed up as Alice Angel, so yeah, the game is very popular among little kids.  :-\

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

It wasn't as bad as this kid I met for the first time who was singing "Oppan Gangnam Style"
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Anyone here play Mahjong? I love this game!

(Though I'm not good at it.)

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

joeactor

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 12, 2018, 02:08:24 AM
Anyone here play Mahjong? I love this game!

(Though I'm not good at it.)

I used to play the matching game.

I also have a real set, and my wife showed me how to play. It's a good strategy game...

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: joeactor on July 12, 2018, 08:06:49 PM
I used to play the matching game.

I also have a real set, and my wife showed me how to play. It's a good strategy game...

Yeah, though this particular version isn't really, because when there are no more options the game just rearranges the pieces.

Icarus

Gamers are everywhere.  Here is an interesting article about game playing in a remote area of Ecuador.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/10/17542816/ecuadorean-fishing-village-santa-marianita-video-games

xSilverPhinx

I've been thinking...for the sake of my mental health  I need to diversify how I spend my time these days, and excluding the casual Mahjong or Bejewelled it's been years since I sat down to play a game. I've been thinking about getting a handheld console so that I could play during commutes and in between classes.

I did a little searching online and came to the conclusion that possibly the best handheld console for me would be the Nintendo 3DS (now 'New' and 'XL'). Looked into the PS Vita as well, and while it has a huge variety of PS games according to a couple of reviews I read they aren't actually adding many more. Maybe it was discontinued? I don't know.

Anyway, does anyone have any personal experience with handheld consoles? While reading tech reviews is great and all, I like hearing personal opinions as well.  ;D

joeactor

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 30, 2018, 03:52:46 PM
I've been thinking...for the sake of my mental health  I need to diversify how I spend my time these days, and excluding the casual Mahjong or Bejewelled it's been years since I sat down to play a game. I've been thinking about getting a handheld console so that I could play during commutes and in between classes.

I did a little searching online and came to the conclusion that possibly the best handheld console for me would be the Nintendo 3DS (now 'New' and 'XL'). Looked into the PS Vita as well, and while it has a huge variety of PS games according to a couple of reviews I read they aren't actually adding many more. Maybe it was discontinued? I don't know.

Anyway, does anyone have any personal experience with handheld consoles? While reading tech reviews is great and all, I like hearing personal opinions as well.  ;D

I had a 3DS for a while. Very nice system. The 3d is adjustable, and works like looking in through a window.
The games I tried were also good. Some new, some retro (and 2d ones). Very playable. I especially liked the VR ones (where you can see the objects in the room with you).
You should go to a store (they still have those, right?) to try one out for yourself.
Since I'm not much of a gamer, I actually sold mine along with some other stuff on Ebay last year.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: joeactor on October 01, 2018, 01:54:52 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 30, 2018, 03:52:46 PM

I had a 3DS for a while. Very nice system. The 3d is adjustable, and works like looking in through a window.
The games I tried were also good. Some new, some retro (and 2d ones). Very playable. I especially liked the VR ones (where you can see the objects in the room with you).
You should go to a store (they still have those, right?) to try one out for yourself.
Since I'm not much of a gamer, I actually sold mine along with some other stuff on Ebay last year.

Thanks, Joe!  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately they aren't in physical stores anymore, so I can't try one out myself before deciding. I would have to order one from an online store and trust that it's what I think it is. :grin: