News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

A small revolution in antenna technology?

Started by Dave, September 19, 2018, 12:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

In the prog I quoted in the 4D printing post there was something about an "Atomic Radio".

Relistening to that piece it is more of an "atomic aerial" ,  a "capsule" of laser excited atoms that react to radio waves in such a way that they modulate the laser light in a detectable way. Sounds like it is working in the microwave, gigaHertz, range but it has a "cover-all" frequency response within that range.

Early days yet, definitely not hi-fi but, remember that the laser was described as, "a solution looking for a problem," when it was first announced.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bluenose

As a long time amateur radio operator with a particular interest in antennae, I am generally sceptical about claims for revolutionary new antenna designs.  Usually they prove to be just another version of an existing design or a scam, like most of the "digital" indoor active antennas that are marketed online.  I'll reserve judgement on this development until it has been better tested and described.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Bluenose on September 19, 2018, 01:57:48 PM
As a long time amateur radio operator with a particular interest in antennae, I am generally sceptical about claims for revolutionary new antenna designs.  Usually they prove to be just another version of an existing design or a scam, like most of the "digital" indoor active antennas that are marketed online.  I'll reserve judgement on this development until it has been better tested and described.

I can see overlaps in this with things like NMR, atoms do jiggle about under e-m influence (of lots of things would not work orherwise) and laser light is, after all, e-m radiation. Then think about a mixer circuit, inject a higher or lower frequency to interact with the frequency you want to "detect" and measure the difference.

Not so much an antenna as a wide open, wide range, sensitive mixer. With no resonance how you extract a desired signal out of all that e-m mush flying around is another matter - but code identity systems might work there. Be interesting to see shat range it works over, but very local radio systems are very big business.

Intend to watch this with interest.

No one

What do you think will be the public's overall reception?

Dave

Quote from: No one on September 19, 2018, 04:26:27 PM
What do you think will be the public's overall reception?

Judging on the quality of the music they played pretty rough!