News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

A few miscellaneous thoughts about the imminent demise of Big Bang Theory:

Started by Rift Zone, March 19, 2018, 09:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on March 22, 2018, 03:48:26 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 22, 2018, 02:51:39 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 22, 2018, 01:36:41 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 22, 2018, 02:02:12 AM
Quote from: Recusant on March 22, 2018, 12:33:28 AM
Hyperbole tends to elicit mockery. However, mockery really isn't a civil response to hyperbole. If neither can contain their impulses (Rift Zone's hyperbole--"terrorizing," really? / Davin's mockery) and instead choose to ratchet this up, the staff will have no choice but to step in.

ETA: Your sniping back hasn't been particularly civil, either.

As Recusant posted in response to Rift Zone above (worth re-posting as a reminder), both Rift Zone and Davin have contributed unnecessarily uncivil responses to this thread. If this continues then the staff will be required to take a more active approach (hopefully not before Davin has had the chance to read this and the quoted post).
What responses of mine were uncivil? I've only ever addressed what was said.

You did, but at least a couple of your responses have been to mock your adversary, such as here and here and are not conducive to a civil discussion. It does not excuse Rift Zone's replies to you, however.
I don't see how that is uncivil, Rift Zone is literally denying science, so calling a person who is denying science a science denier is merely descriptive.

Feeling sorry for a person and asking them if they think they are a victim of violence in response to an image post referencing violence is uncivil? That doesn't make sense.

I do mock what is said, but I do not mock the person.

Davin, sarcasm and mockery is what it comes across as, and while you aren't throwing ad hominems around like Rift Zone is, it does add to the toxicity that is this thread. You are a reasonable guy, I'd just like to ask you to think of the following for a second: do you think it's reasonable to reason with someone who will not be reasoned with? Frankly, this discussion is going no where.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Rift Zone

Quote from: Magdalena on March 22, 2018, 04:11:59 PM
We're not that bad. Just get to know us, and we'll get to know you...particularly our "writing styles."
Oh, I know...   I wouln't be here at all if I didn't think that.   There's hecklers in every crowd. 

Davin it's clear to every intellectual present you're doing nothing more than throwing a tantrum.   will you please stop already. 
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 22, 2018, 04:22:13 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on March 22, 2018, 04:11:59 PM
We're not that bad. Just get to know us, and we'll get to know you...particularly our "writing styles."
Oh, I know...   I wouln't be here at all if I didn't think that.   There's hecklers in every crowd. 

Davin it's clear to every intellectual present you're doing nothing more than throwing a tantrum.   will you please stop already.

But we don't really know you.
What pets do you have?
Or what pets have you had?
If you've never had a pet, why? why?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 22, 2018, 04:04:45 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 22, 2018, 03:50:00 PM

I see that you missed it, so here it is again:
You mean the point you raised that was dismissed back in post #68.    You appear to have missed it.    Or you're arguing things that have been knowing discounted already.   I don't know why you even bother.   You have done nothing to demonstrate scientific aptitude.   every point you raise oozes of juvenile grasp and application of scientific knowledge and approach.

Ok Rift Zone, that's enough.

*** Moderator Red***

Since this discussion has escalated, a cool-down period of 24 hours during which Rift Zone and Davin should refrain from posting anything addressing the other STARTS NOW. If you two continue to address each other during the mandatory cool-down period then further action will be taken.

Magdalena

:picard facepalm:

:sad sigh:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Rift Zone

In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Dave

You don't speak for me, RZ. If that means I do not qualify as an intellectual in your eyes . . . Well, I think that I can live with that.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: Dave on March 22, 2018, 04:48:36 PM
You don't speak for me, RZ. If that means I do not qualify as an intellectual in your eyes . . . Well, I think that I can live with that.
:this:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Rift Zone

Quote from: Bad Penny II on March 22, 2018, 04:27:09 PM
But we don't really know you.
What pets do you have?
Or what pets have you had?
If you've never had a pet, why? why?
I don't personally have any pets now, but the household has a dog and a cat.   I tend to be a bit nomadic so my one dog went to auntie sue in less than a year.   Had the coolest cat in the world though, all black: Twilight.   She could come when I whistled for her, and i could take her on walks, off leash, she'd just follow me, far beyond her home and known territory because we was that close.   Her urn is in my presence, I see her now.  I also love those little aquatic dwarf african frogs, and often have a tank of them all set up with real wood and live plants.   Geckos too!  Love those little guys.   I'm just a nature lover.  In fact, I decorate my spaces like "base camp"  I have plants all over the place and I put some of my gear on the walls.   

Rift Zone

My apologies Dave.   I'm well aware you're a very bright person.   Please forgive me for assuming too much.

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 22, 2018, 04:14:08 PM
Hyperbole tends to elicit mockery. However, mockery really isn't a civil response to hyperbole. If neither can contain their impulses (Rift Zone's hyperbole--"terrorizing," really? / Davin's mockery) and instead choose to ratchet this up, the staff will have no choice but to step in.

As Recusant posted in response to Rift Zone above (worth re-posting as a reminder), both Rift Zone and Davin have contributed unnecessarily uncivil responses to this thread. If this continues then the staff will be required to take a more active approach (hopefully not before Davin has had the chance to read this and the quoted post).

You did, but at least a couple of your responses have been to mock your adversary, such as here and here and are not conducive to a civil discussion. It does not excuse Rift Zone's replies to you, however.
I don't see how that is uncivil, Rift Zone is literally denying science, so calling a person who is denying science a science denier is merely descriptive.

Feeling sorry for a person and asking them if they think they are a victim of violence in response to an image post referencing violence is uncivil? That doesn't make sense.

Davin, sarcasm and mockery is what it comes across as, and while you aren't throwing ad hominems around like Rift Zone is, it does add to the toxicity that is this thread. You are a reasonable guy, I'd just like to ask you to think of the following for a second: do you think it's reasonable to reason with someone who will not be reasoned with? Frankly, this discussion is going no where.
Yes, and in the meantime since we started discussing this, I refrained from making similar jokes.

Jokes to me, are a reasonably way to make a boring conversation more entertaining. I refrain from making the other person the butt of the joke and I only joke about what was said and/or presented.

Does there need to be a new forum rule, since I am currently following all of them and am still being reprimanded?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Rift Zone

Quote from: Magdalena on March 22, 2018, 04:51:43 PM
:this:
Yea, you too.    Okay, I stand corrected.    I rescind that statement. 

Magdalena

This place just needs some incense...And a lava lamp or something. A cognac, a cigar, or both.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on March 22, 2018, 05:01:10 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 22, 2018, 04:14:08 PM

Yes, and in the meantime since we started discussing this, I refrained from making similar jokes.

Yes, I noticed. Thank you for refraining from making similar jokes.

QuoteJokes to me, are a reasonably way to make a boring conversation more entertaining. I refrain from making the other person the butt of the joke and I only joke about what was said and/or presented.

You may not have made the other person the butt of the joke but when people are invested in their beliefs it may feel to them like you are attacking them personally and so react accordingly. Maybe it's their problem and not yours.

QuoteDoes there need to be a new forum rule, since I am currently following all of them and am still being reprimanded?

An unwritten rule of civil interaction is that you do not mock something that a person is taking personally or reply in a sarcastic manner, even if they aren't ad hominem attacks, unless you deliberately want to antagonise them. That doesn't excuse Rift Zone's replies, however. If he fails to comply with the conduct guidelines after this cool-off period, then he will start to receive official warnings.

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 22, 2018, 08:47:16 PM
You may not have made the other person the butt of the joke but when people are invested in their beliefs it may feel to them like you are attacking them personally and so react accordingly. Maybe it's their problem and not yours.

QuoteDoes there need to be a new forum rule, since I am currently following all of them and am still being reprimanded?

An unwritten rule of civil interaction is that you do not mock something that a person is taking personally or reply in a sarcastic manner, even if they aren't ad hominem attacks, unless you deliberately want to antagonise them. That doesn't excuse Rift Zone's replies, however. If he fails to comply with the conduct guidelines after this cool-off period, then he will start to receive official warnings.
For the record, I don't care about that person's behavior. I think they should be evaluated separately. Whether goaded or not, I am still responsible for my behavior. I will try to make the jokes less harmful to fragile people.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.