News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

London Fire

Started by Claireliontamer, June 15, 2017, 05:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Chancellor Philip Hammond is now saying that the type of cladding on the tower block is banned in the UK, as well as in other countries.

QuoteThe cladding used at Grenfell Tower was banned in the UK, chancellor Philip Hammond believes. He told the BBC's Andrew Marr:

My understanding is that the cladding in question, this flammable cladding which is banned in Europe and the US, is also banned here. That's my understanding."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/18/grenfell-tower-fire-may-under-pressure-after-angry-exchanges-in-no-10-live-updates
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Seems that type of cladding can be used on buildings up to 22 metres high - as high as a free standing or vehicle mounted fire ladder can reach. In Germany the limit is 15 metres.

If it is a bznned product for that use now to find out if the regulations had loopholes,who specified the that type, was he or she competent to write the spec,  was it written on instruction from a more senior officer, were the company trying to save money, were the suppliers aware it would be used on a tower block, if they were does that make them complicit in the cause of the disaster...

Will the laws be re-written to ensure such never happens again?

I very much hope they stream this public inquirey on line.

Arturo

Tagline: Built By Trump
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

The government have picked their judge for the inquirey, they gave picked retired judge, Sir Martin Moore-Bick , well versed in ckmmercial kaw and in desking with technical matters - and disliked for upholding a case for a council and against residents. He has experience in shipping fires etc but seems very thin on knowledge of large groups of people. A "patrician establishment" man is how one commentator described him.

It seems he will be apptoaching it on the technical aspects:
QuoteSir Martin Moore-Bick said the probe could be limited to the cause, how it spread, and preventing a future blaze.
He was speaking after travelling to the site of the fire in North Kensington and meeting some of the survivors.
Some Grenfell residents have said they were unhappy at not being involved in Sir Martin's appointment.
The judge said his meeting with survivors was "very useful".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40446579

What of the stories about the concerns of residents on how the work was done and other anecdotal evidence? It will be an inquiry based on a narrow remit.

I have a feeling that this choice is going to cause problems.