Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Should we talk about the weather?
« Last post by Harmonie on Today at 04:01:22 AM »
It nearly got up 80 today. *sigh*

Sighing is all I can do at this point anymore.

Michigan is nice, and I love the four seasons, especially fall and winter, but I get crazy when the two get mixed up together. You wake up and it's 50 degrees outside, and later that night you are shoveling a foot of snow. ::)

I live just 30 minutes outside Ann Arbor, where the U of M campus is. Very nice city. My sister lives there, and we spend a lot of time there, especially during the summer months as it is a great place to walk and bike. Lots of good restaurants, bars, coffee shops and bookstores.

It's a bit crazy when there is a football game going on though...but fun.

You would be driven quite thoroughly crazy in Oklahoma. I have seen it get up into the 80s during the day and snow that night. I have also seen the Western part of the state go from 90 degrees to ice storm conditions in under 48 hours.

Anyway, all of my jealousy. U of M holds a special place for me for reasons that would be very off-topic here.
Religion / Experiences with Evangelical Christians?
« Last post by SisterAgatha on Today at 03:48:31 AM »
What is your experience with Evangelical Christians?

Are any in your family? are any your friends? What are they like?

I am not so sure about them.

Apart from their faith they seem a bit harsh, judgmental and intellectually uncurious about any faith/tradition apart from their own.

Plus, they seem to think Catholocism is some crazy pagan cult and not true Christianity. Crazy right?

Please let me know
Current Events / Re: Video of NK soldier defecting
« Last post by BooksCatsEtc on Today at 12:39:48 AM »
I hope there's no chance (like some political nonsense) that he could be sent back.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
« Last post by BooksCatsEtc on Today at 12:37:39 AM »
Hmmmph!  I agree that far too many the US drivers are nutters.  The Brit drivers are even more confused because they insist that they must drive on the wrong side of the road.

It's one of the things that makes me not miss having a car.  Does anybody check their mirrors before changing lanes these days?
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
« Last post by Icarus on Today at 12:11:30 AM »
Hmmmph!  I agree that far too many the US drivers are nutters.  The Brit drivers are even more confused because they insist that they must drive on the wrong side of the road.
Religion / Re: Solution to Northern Ireland?
« Last post by Recusant on November 24, 2017, 10:46:33 PM »
Can you imagine the respect the US would be held in if it spent as much on humanitarian aid as it does on making war?

Even a quarter as much would be a huge increase. Foreign aid (of all types) amounts to less than 1% of the US budget, while military spending accounts for around 15%.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Should we talk about the weather?
« Last post by Guardian85 on November 24, 2017, 05:59:25 PM »
So we just had our first winter storm of the season.
Had no power for most of yesterday, but luckily it has blown over.
Video under shows the difference between how a storm is reported in the south of Norway  compared to in the north:
Note the "storm" conditions in the south, compared to the "bit of weather" up north.
« Last post by Tank on November 24, 2017, 04:06:37 PM »
Gibraltar would be the same.

« Last post by Tank on November 24, 2017, 03:45:10 PM »
Well it's not really information. It's just a logical thought process. Another example would be the Falkland Islands. The British government have said that they with remain 'British' until the population say otherwise. So if Argentina want the Falklands all they have to do is peacefully bribe the islanders until a majority change their allegiance. So they start buying Falklands lamb and mutton. They start air flights. They build infrastructure on the Island through sponsorship. An enemy never changes their mind, so stop being an enemy and be a friend.

Can you imagine the respect the US would be held in if it spent as much on humanitarian aid as it does on making war?
Current Events / Video of NK soldier defecting
« Last post by Ecurb Noselrub on November 24, 2017, 03:24:16 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2017/11/22/north-korean-soldier-escape-video-walkthrough-todd.cnn

He was shot several times, lost more than half his blood, but survived and is now in SK.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10