News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Re: Your Accent Abroad

Started by Sandra Craft, February 03, 2014, 03:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Crow on February 03, 2014, 11:27:04 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 02, 2014, 11:51:00 PM
I try not to talk at all around non-Americans.

Why is that?

Because their accents are usually very pretty and mine is not.  So I'd rather just listen.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

Quote from: DoberI tend to adopt characteristics of the accent of the person I'm speaking to.

Me, too: my speech varies from fairly Herefordshire to immaculately posh, depending on where I am.  In Wales I find myself using a lot of Welsh phrases like 'duw, duw'.

In German I have a strong Schleswig-Holstein accent and sometime use dialect forms. 

Tank

Quote from: Claireliontamer on February 04, 2014, 08:52:33 AM
Quote from: Tank on February 03, 2014, 11:47:09 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 03, 2014, 07:11:05 PM

Speaking of other countries, I recently met up with some Brits that work for our company and were in Denver for a thing.  Do Brits typically kiss each other all of the time?  I got a lot of kisses. 
No we don't. But when abroad we pretend to be more 'European' IE French  ;D

I've never known British people to do that!
Of course not. You're English. It wouldn't work  ;)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Brave Patato

Especially my High German is very influenced by a Swiss - say Allemannic - accent. I could actually talk without it, but that sounds weird to me. So, let's rather sound like some kind of Rambo, who doesn't know proper pronunciation.  :P
In English that accent isn't that strong.
"An atheist doesn't have to be someone who thinks he has a proof that there can't be a god. He only has to be someone who believes that the evidence on the God question is at a similar level to the evidence on the werewolf question."

Tank

We need audio on this thread.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Quote from: BPEspecially my High German is very influenced by a Swiss - say Allemannic - accent. I could actually talk without it, but that sounds weird to me

Swiss people sound bloody weird to me, as a Fischkopf.  ;D

Brave Patato

Quote from: OldGit on October 20, 2015, 09:26:20 AM
Quote from: BPEspecially my High German is very influenced by a Swiss - say Allemannic - accent. I could actually talk without it, but that sounds weird to me

Swiss people sound bloody weird to me, as a Fischkopf.  ;D

That's indeed a common thing... sounding weird when talking High German. I find our dialects quite nice, though. ;)
"An atheist doesn't have to be someone who thinks he has a proof that there can't be a god. He only has to be someone who believes that the evidence on the God question is at a similar level to the evidence on the werewolf question."