News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

hate the format

Started by tacoma_kyle, May 20, 2008, 07:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacoma_kyle

Ahh....

Can this be changed to somethin similar to the prior or with RSS feed? I just hate the new forum style. :)
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

McQ

I can't say I hate the format, but it's not growing on me very well. I keep looking to the left side of the screen to see who posted. Damn avatars are still over on the right. LOL!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Quote from: "tacoma_kyle"Ahh....

Can this be changed to somethin similar to the prior or with RSS feed? I just hate the new forum style. :)

Can you expand on what you liked about the old version?  

If it's just the right side thing, that can be fixed....i don't think very many people like things being on the left.  I'll work on that over the weekend since I should have time.  I might see if I can make it so people can choose which side it is on...I don't see why that wouldn't be possible since the location is just a template issue.

I think RSS would also be possible...but i need to look more into how to set it up; it was already in the long term plan.

Will

TK, give it a few days. I didn't like it at first either, but I now find it superior in every day. It's quite wonderful.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

tacoma_kyle

The biggest things that bugs me is threads stay lit if I dont view them. I dunno, maybe it confuses me or somethin.

But like the old forum and RSS they show all new posts (or threads with new posts).
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

myleviathan

I personally like the new format better. I think it's a lot simpler, and it's easy to find new posts, the user control panel, and other important features.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Whitney

Quote from: "tacoma_kyle"The biggest things that bugs me is threads stay lit if I dont view them. I dunno, maybe it confuses me or somethin.

But like the old forum and RSS they show all new posts (or threads with new posts).

When you are logged on there is a link at the top of the screen (near where it says user control panel) where you can go to view new posts.  Once you are done reading what you want you can go to the index (home page) and click on "Mark forums read" to make all those you don't want to read not be highlighted.

I'm pretty sure that's how it was before...more or less.  The highlighting is just a way to tell you it hasn't been read...so it will stay highlighted until you do something to tell it you don't want to read the thread.

I'll make a post when I get RSS working...i need to do that and create a new site map anyway.  And I just found out a new version was released so I need to do a small upgrade (if everything checks out okay).

The forum is still in it's work in progress stages...I plan on creating some new templates so users have options rather than having to use the default.  Since this is a new format not many people have made templates for it...so I'm kinda waiting for there to be something decent I can use as a base instead of having to start from scratch.

Asmodean

Just out of curiosity, would it not be possible to fix the poster info on the left for those who want it through themes? Because that would give people the option to choose...  :cool:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Whitney

Quote from: "Asmodean"Just out of curiosity, would it not be possible to fix the poster info on the left for those who want it through themes? Because that would give people the option to choose...  :cool:

Yes, it's on the to do list (I have the instructions to do it bookmarked).  Maybe next week there will be a left side theme available.

curiosityandthecat

Any news on the RSS? I'd love to have an RSS feeds for the New Posts page.  :devil:
-Curio

Whitney

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Any news on the RSS? I'd love to have an RSS feeds for the New Posts page.  :devil:

Sorry, I apparently have the instructions bookmarked somewhere but looked over it when I was deciding what mods to install last weekend.  I'll check on it again.  Unfortunately I'm not the most tech savy person in the world so some of this stuff ends up taking longer than it should.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Any news on the RSS? I'd love to have an RSS feeds for the New Posts page.  :blush:
-Curio

Whitney

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"No worries. It just occurred to me that the title of this thread isn't the most encouraging.  :)

Is there something about this format that makes it hard for you to access the site or is it aesthetic?  I can install the old style if it's for aesthetic reasons...they have it available now.  Personally, I like the rounded look better.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"No worries. It just occurred to me that the title of this thread isn't the most encouraging.  :)

Is there something about this format that makes it hard for you to access the site or is it aesthetic?  I can install the old style if it's for aesthetic reasons...they have it available now.  Personally, I like the rounded look better.

Nono, it was actually tacoma_kyle who started the thread. I just searched for RSS and didn't pay much attention to the title of it before reviving it. As for the format, I'm easy.  :D
-Curio

Whitney

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Nono, it was actually tacoma_kyle who started the thread.
Well..you can tell how good I am at paying attention :)