News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

International science rsllies

Started by Dave, April 22, 2017, 10:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Only just besrd about this on the radio!

http://fortune.com/2017/04/22/march-for-science-photos/

QuoteOn April 22, 1970, nearly 20 million Americans (including members of both houses of Congress) came out to march in various cities to protest the spread of pollution, wildlife extinction, anti-earth behavior by corporations, and more. The event eventually helped start an environmental movement that led to the creation of the Environmental Protection Agency and the passage of a wide range of legislation and regulations designed to protect the environment. This Saturday, scientists and researchers added a new page to that legacy with the March For Science.

There were rallies in London, Australia and many other places.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

That's great! I just watched Bill Nye's new show on Netflix. The first episode was about global warming and this was no kid's show. The paranoia I got from watching that was unparalleled.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

There was one in the city where I live, though I don't know how many people turned up. Science just doesn't seem to be a priority...meanwhile, the gap between us and first world countries widens instead of closes.  :eyeroll:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 25, 2017, 11:02:18 PM
There was one in the city where I live, though I don't know how many people turned up. Science just doesn't seem to be a priority...meanwhile, the gap between us and first world countries widens instead of closes.  :eyeroll:

I remember when Brazil was being lauded for its growth and development, it was the "B" in "BRIC(K)" .  Now, with the crime cartels using military strategies and weapons (including "laser guided weapons" according to one report) in bank raids sounds like an even more violent and dangerous country than ever.

xSilverPhinx

It's laughable. In the 1940s political rhetoric came up with a dictum which is "Brazil, the country of the future." It seems it will always be the country of a future that never comes. How the heck is there going to be any sort of respectable future for this country when the country doesn't invest in areas such as education to create a highly skilled and qualified workforce and science (both basic and applied) and technology? When it comes to investments during the recession in these areas Brazil has become a joke.

I don't know if I want to stay here. 

Dave

QuoteHow the heck is there going to be any sort of respectable future for this country when the country doesn't invest in areas such as education to create a highly skilled and qualified workforce and science (both basic and applied) and technology?

Strange, I had similar thoughts about post Thatcher Britain - there are still elements of this here, XSP. Looks like America might be headed the same way...

xSilverPhinx

Firebird

I was at the one in Boston. Wish I could take credit for the sign I was holding, but it was my surprisingly snarky wife:

"Trump: Fund the science that keeps your tower erect! "
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Dave

Quote from: Firebird on April 27, 2017, 11:12:51 PM
I was at the one in Boston. Wish I could take credit for the sign I was holding, but it was my surprisingly snarky wife:

Respect to your wife!

Every single man made thing relies on some form of science. That includes finding and trimming the best piece of tree for a club, by trial and error, hundreds of millions of years ago.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Firebird on April 27, 2017, 11:12:51 PM

:lol: I love that!