Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Are the any true atheists

Started by Happy with no god, August 18, 2011, 02:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medusa

Quote from: Tank on August 22, 2011, 09:55:18 AM
Quote from: Medusa on August 22, 2011, 09:53:14 AM
I happen to find a big chunk of Atheists and Theist extremely alike. I've had the luck to be on many a forum and be friends with a many a different belief system. Both sides sound similarly alike.
Which just goes to show that there is a lot more that binds humanity together than drives it apart when one gets down to the personal level  :)

Amen brotha! In fact this very thing is why my fiance and I get along so well. Though completely different religions, we thrive on finding commonality amongst our friends and world around us.

As a Satanist, there is seriously no other religion that gets the shit from all spectrums of religions. Even the secular people dis us.

*sits all alone in her Satanic cave.

nobody knowsssss the trouble I've seeeeennnnnn  :P
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Asmodean

*Long story skipped*

...And so there was Asmodean, spinning wildly out of control in his VW and a huge rock coming at him, disregarding right of way and a bunch of other rules.

What did Asmodean think right then..? "Oh, this is bloody EMBARRASSING!"

(I did hit the rock eventually, but thanks to some masterful maneuvering, the damage was pretty much negligable - both to me, car and the rock)

Truth be told, I can't imagine a situation where I would feel the urge to pray or otherwise communicate with somebody else's imaginary friend. Well, there is one possibility. 200 Euro an hour will probably get me to say a few prayers.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

^oh my gosh. Are you and your car alright?
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 22, 2011, 04:33:43 PM
^oh my gosh. Are you and your car alright?
Car got new front suspension, a new rim and overhauled steering plus a speck of bodywork as a result of that thing eventually. Me... Walked away with not a scratch. And that after saying zero prayers. Chew on that, fundies!
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DaemonWulf

I love the pompous self-righteousness of people to assume that someone's "not really" what they say they are because they disagree with it. As though atheists go around telling people that to get a rise out of them or for shock value, and perhaps if they ignore it, it will just go away. My wife and I recently went to Salem, Mass. on vacation and upon telling a friend that, she promptly replied "oh, I don't believe in witches". I just as promptly informed her that I hadn't asked. She quickly defended "well, I mean people can believe what they want, I just do believe in witches". I tried, to no avail, to explain that she could believe what she liked, and could believe that the witches beliefs were wrong, but saying "I don't believe in witches is akin to saying "I don't believe in snakes". That's all well and good, but don't be surprised when you get bitten on the ass-cheek. I'm a pretty solid 6 on the theism scale, only in that I can't disprove any more than the pope can prove, but after 13 or 14 accidents on the road and a fall out a second story window, I don't recall any praying. I used to pray to a god and goddess when I considered myself pagan, and used to prayer to a god before that when I had a brief stint as a JW, and got about the same results as I would if I shouted "I'm a Little Teapot" at the stars.
So I wonder this, as life billows smoke inside my head; this little game where nothing is sure... why would you play by the rules? - Dave Matthews

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Happy with no god on August 18, 2011, 02:34:14 PM
I was in a meeting this morning at work when a colleague of mine just happened to mention that he was atheist (not sure why this came out) but I was surprised by the response of my boss, who replied "I don't think you are really" this was then backed up by a comment from his number two "you don't find any atheists on a crashing plane". Both my manager and his number two are both active Christians.

I've never been in a crashing plane, but I have been in a crashing car and I can tell you my thoughts were not "oh god help me!" but "how can I get out of this?".  I'm also fairly certain that when I do come to the moment of death, if I have time to think anything at all, it's less likely to be "god forgive me for doubting you" than "ah shit, it's over".

There's a theory that religions, most of which promise an afterlife, were created specifically to deal with human fear of death and I can see how someone who is absolutely terrified of non-existence would find it hard to believe that this fear, while commonplace, is not universal.  Hence all the variations to "no atheists in foxholes" -- they can't believe that anyone could simply accept non-existence when the possibility of a god who provides supernatural immortality is on offer.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Siz

Yeah, I agree, Cats.

It is the fear of not existing. 'Of course I'm worth more than a freakish outbreak of senscience with a finite existence? Surely noone can believe that outlandish assertion'.

It is an overinflated self-importance clinging to the life-raft of faith. Desire over rationale.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Scissorlegs on September 13, 2011, 01:12:49 AM
Yeah, I agree, Cats.

It is the fear of not existing. 'Of course I'm worth more than a freakish outbreak of senscience with a finite existence? Surely noone can believe that outlandish assertion'.

It is an overinflated self-importance clinging to the life-raft of faith. Desire over rationale.

Yep.  "I can't possibly really, truly die forever -- I'm too me not to exist!"
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Siz

Quote from: Medusa on August 22, 2011, 09:59:21 AM

Amen brotha! In fact this very thing is why my fiance and I get along so well. Though completely different religions, we thrive on finding commonality amongst our friends and world around us.

As a Satanist, there is seriously no other religion that gets the shit from all spectrums of religions. Even the secular people dis us.

I'm interested to know what your fiances religion is, and how far do HIS desires weave themselves into your own LaVeyan thinking? (I'm guessing you are LaVeyan rather than Theistic). Is it possible for a dedicated LaVeyan to be monogamous, sympathetic to human weakness or empathic? Or is this yet another social compromise that obviates the LeVayan system to pointlessness? I would argue that any 'weak' (part-time) LaVeyan Satanists are no different in outlook or action than most conscientious atheists.

Concerning your propensity for being the self proclaimed ass-wipe of humanity, this is certainly born of ignorance as to the real nature of your system (for the record I have no problem with it other than it's futility). You must agree that you do nothing to assuage this issue.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!