News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Velma on June 20, 2018, 06:41:25 PM
Last night at work, my supervisor asked me to send out an email explaining how to use the new NDC* change spreadsheet that is replacing the endless number of NDC change emails. It really is difficult to strike a balance between explaining things so that everyone understands it and not dumbing it down to the point that people are insulted. The only thing that changed is the form in which we get the information, but for some reason several of my coworkers are freaking out over it.

*NDC = National Drug Code, a unique, identifying number for each drug intended for human consumption. The same drug made by different manufacturers will have a completely different NDC number. If we have to change brands for some reason, we have to let the system know that, thus the need for human intervention in the form of our NDC change process.

That is just the sort of communucations problem I used to love! How to get things across in a way that is explicit without seeming to spoon-feed them using a cement pump!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Velma

Quote from: Dave on June 20, 2018, 06:46:42 PM
Last night at work, my supervisor asked me to send out an email explaining how to use the new NDC* change spreadsheet that is replacing the endless number of NDC change emails. It really is difficult to strike a balance between explaining things so that everyone understands it and not dumbing it down to the point that people are insulted. The only thing that changed is the form in which we get the information, but for some reason several of my coworkers are freaking out over it.

*NDC = National Drug Code, a unique, identifying number for each drug intended for human consumption. The same drug made by different manufacturers will have a completely different NDC number. If we have to change brands for some reason, we have to let the system know that, thus the need for human intervention in the form of our NDC change process.

That is just the sort of communucations problem I used to love! How to get things across in a way that is explicit without seeming to spoon-feed them using a cement pump!
It is quite a bit different from writing an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) where you work from the viewpoint of someone who has never done the task before. In that case, it is understood that it is supposed to be simplistic. But if you are writing what amounts to a job aid for people who already know the job, but are puzzled by a slight change, it gets a bit trickier, especially if you have some notoriously thin-skinned people in your department.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Dave

Quote from: Velma on June 20, 2018, 07:01:49 PM
Quote from: Dave on June 20, 2018, 06:46:42 PM

It is quite a bit different from writing an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) where you work from the viewpoint of someone who has never done the task before. In that case, it is understood that it is supposed to be simplistic. But if you are writing what amounts to a job aid for people who already know the job, but are puzzled by a slight change, it gets a bit trickier, especially if you have some notoriously thin-skinned people in your department.

Yeah, thin skins usually mean nits get picked where they do not even exist. I understand your problem yet, of course, have no direct knowledge of it but I have met similar things - especially ones where, "But we have always done it this way, why the change . . ." applies. In my case it often did not help that I was an outsider - often the best person to find a solution if one approaches sympathetically and not with a battering ram.

Took me a fifteen minutes in a coffee break to work out how to reduce four A4 sheets of text explaining the relationships between the various scales of 1st edition (1870 -1890) Ordinance Survey maps for Gloucestershire to a single A3 sheet using graphical mapping instead of words. Took a whole two hours to produce the whole graphic, including the stock order numbers. Also applied, in principle, to all other sets just by changing the sheet numbers.

It also reduced the instruction unit from half an hour to about five minutes. Explicit, a graphic tells a thousand words.

Really enjoyed that!

Deidre32

Hi all :) Remember me? I forgot my password and wasn't able to log in, but then I remembered. lol

What's on my mind...hmm....the upcoming work week. :/
Every silver lining, has a cloud.

jumbojak

I think I do remember you. I think.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: Deidre32 on June 25, 2018, 02:32:16 AM
Hi all :) Remember me? I forgot my password and wasn't able to log in, but then I remembered. lol

Hi, Deidre, you must have been before I joined. Or my memory is worse thsn I thought!

What's this "work" thing? Seems to ring a distant bell but . . .

Dave

I have wanted to go to the National Arboretum for some time to play with my new camera.

However, from memory I know that you can go quite a long time there without seeing another person, except at blossom time and fall. Been there a couple of times since my heart attack but, now that I start feeling uncomfortable after walking a quite short distance (200 yards is good with a 20 minute sit-down rest before attrmpting the next 100 yard stage etc.), I find myself unwilling to go to such places alone. They do hire electric buggies out but you are very restricted where you can go - and the rougher bits are always the best.

I have no friends whom I can invite for the trip who do not suffer mobility or other problems themselves. Neither Jane nor Carol can walk as far as me and Carol would just want to plonk herself down in one place with her stool, easel, canvas and paints for a few hours! She would need a buggy to transport all the kit!

Tank

Hi :)

Since you were last here the forum imploded and forgot a lot of stuff. It forgot all your original posts, so while I do remember you I don't remember a lot about you. So here is a clean sheet of paper if you wouldn't mind filling it in please :)

Welcome Back
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Welcome back, Deirdre!  Yes, I remember you, but it's been a while.

As for the buggies at the arboretum, Dave, I find them very good and I tend to ignore the rule forbidding off-road use.  Best to take one out in the morning, since they don't recharge them at lunchtime.

Dave

Quote from: OldGit on June 25, 2018, 09:53:10 AM
Welcome back, Deirdre!  Yes, I remember you, but it's been a while.

As for the buggies at the arboretum, Dave, I find them very good and I tend to ignore the rule forbidding off-road use.  Best to take one out in the morning, since they don't recharge them at lunchtime.

Do they let buggie drivers out on their own, without an able carer do you know?

Deidre32

Quote from: Tank on June 25, 2018, 08:36:49 AM

Since you were last here the forum imploded and forgot a lot of stuff. It forgot all your original posts, so while I do remember you I don't remember a lot about you. So here is a clean sheet of paper if you wouldn't mind filling it in please :)

Welcome Back
Chris

Lol thank you all for the nice welcome back! ^_^

Well, for starters...I got married last year. :) And life has been good overall. How are you all doing? 

Tank

Quote from: Deidre32 on June 25, 2018, 01:53:24 PM

Welcome Back
Chris

Well, for starters...I got married last year. :) And life has been good overall. How are you all doing?

Well I now have three grandsons. All my kids are now married. I have started gardening a little other than cutting grass. 
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Deidre32

Quote from: Tank on June 25, 2018, 02:56:32 PM

Welcome Back
Chris

Well I now have three grandsons. All my kids are now married. I have started gardening a little other than cutting grass.

Congrats! That's great. :)

Flower gardening or veggies?

Tank

Quote from: Deidre32 on June 25, 2018, 02:59:24 PM

Welcome Back
Chris

Shrubs like buddleia to attract butterflies and other insects, a 'meadow' lawn and bird feeders. Not your typical garden.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on June 25, 2018, 03:02:57 PM
Quote from: Deidre32 on June 25, 2018, 02:59:24 PM

Welcome Back
Chris

Shrubs like buddleia to attract butterflies and other insects, a 'meadow' lawn and bird feeders. Not your typical garden.

Going to have a "rough corner" with small branches, twigs and leaves for hibernating hedgehogs? We built an amphibian hotel in Jane's garden, several foot lengths of old plastic guttering, upside down, bedded iwith leafmould and covered with twigs and leafmould, behind the greenhouse. Field mice like these for nesting as well.

Bee hotels are good as well, of course.

Had I a garden it would be almost full of such - so long as there was enough room for a comfy chair and a table for the vino of course.