News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harmonie

I made a B on a piano exam that I was so unprepared for (not really because I didn't practice, sadly) and was seriously about to have a panic attack going into it.

The professor was trying to give me a talk on how to improve and the whole time my mind was on "I GOT A B!". I was really scared I would fail the test.

I walked out a believer in Jesus Christ singing Handel's Hallelujah Chorus. Just kidding... But the Hallelujah Chorus certainly did go through my mind!

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Tank

Quote from: Harmonie on February 13, 2018, 07:19:51 PM
I made a B on a piano exam that I was so unprepared for (not really because I didn't practice, sadly) and was seriously about to have a panic attack going into it.

The professor was trying to give me a talk on how to improve and the whole time my mind was on "I GOT A B!". I was really scared I would fail the test.

I walked out a believer in Jesus Christ singing Handel's Hallelujah Chorus. Just kidding... But the Hallelujah Chorus certainly did go through my mind!
Excellent :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Good one, Harmonie!

:dance:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Essie Mae

Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Icarus

Harmonie, In the past you were a reed instrument person if I recall correctly.  But pianos have almost no reeds at all. What's up with that?

In any case, congrats for getting a good grade for playing that string and hammer thing.

You know what would be a sensational post?  If you could play the Oboe, baritone, tenor. alto sax, or clarinet in a video for your friends here at HAF....... Just think! ...... You'd have an international audience of people who already like you.  Best audience ever......

Buddy

Congrats Harmonie! I know you feel like you could have done better, but I'm sure that whatever you played sounded lovely.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

That's always a good feeling. Back in college I had a big test in differential equations that I didn't bother to study for. Not only that, but I woke up seriously late and after driving an hour to the school - it was a wild night - I walked up to the building just as everyone was walking out having finished the test. They all had a good laugh. I walked into the room just as the department secretary was packing up but she let me take the test anyway.

Ten minutes later I was on my way to my next lab and ran into that math professor who told me in a stern sort of voice that we needed to have a chat about my missing the test. He was shocked when I told him that I had finished it in the ten minutes between him leaving the room and the secretary closing everything up. The laughing hyenas were even more shocked when I did better than any of them.

Ah, the glory days. Most people who know me today wouldn't believe that I went to college, much less excelled in a seemingly obtuse and arcane subject.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Harmonie

Thanks, everyone! The rest of the semester is only going to get harder, I hear. =(

Quote from: Icarus on February 13, 2018, 11:56:58 PM
Harmonie, In the past you were a reed instrument person if I recall correctly.  But pianos have almost no reeds at all. What's up with that?

Oh, no... I would never abandon my precious woodwinds for the piano! Personally, I actually prefer the timbre of the harpsichord and organ over the piano. Heck, I even prefer the timbre of early pianos (like 18th century pianofortes) to modern ones. I'm an odd one.

Understand I am only playing this instrument because I'm a music student and we all have to take four semesters of it.

QuoteYou know what would be a sensational post?  If you could play the Oboe, baritone, tenor. alto sax, or clarinet in a video for your friends here at HAF....... Just think! ...... You'd have an international audience of people who already like you.  Best audience ever......

Pft... I can only claim to play the oboe and bassoon. The only recordings of me that I currently have are for someone very special, and those are a work in progress. Hopefully I could make something to post here, but I'd have to lug my recording equipment to the campus in a practice room and I get really shy about that. Pathetic, I know. I only like recording when I'm at home alone, and there are so few opportunities for that anymore.

Quote from: Buddy on February 14, 2018, 01:28:33 AMCongrats Harmonie! I know you feel like you could have done better, but I'm sure that whatever you played sounded lovely.

Trust me, it didn't. I was a nervous wreck and made a lot of mistakes. And the piano was out of tune on top of that.

Quote from: jumbojak on February 14, 2018, 02:04:41 AM
That's always a good feeling. Back in college I had a big test in differential equations that I didn't bother to study for. Not only that, but I woke up seriously late and after driving an hour to the school - it was a wild night - I walked up to the building just as everyone was walking out having finished the test. They all had a good laugh. I walked into the room just as the department secretary was packing up but she let me take the test anyway.

Ten minutes later I was on my way to my next lab and ran into that math professor who told me in a stern sort of voice that we needed to have a chat about my missing the test. He was shocked when I told him that I had finished it in the ten minutes between him leaving the room and the secretary closing everything up. The laughing hyenas were even more shocked when I did better than any of them.

Ah, the glory days. Most people who know me today wouldn't believe that I went to college, much less excelled in a seemingly obtuse and arcane subject.

Wow. You got super lucky there! I remember at my previous university, I made a huge mistake and came into one of my finals late because I got the time wrong. I was mortified. Thankfully the professor was understanding and I came out of that class easily with an A. It was one of my favorite classes that I have ever took (a class called Plants and People, where we got to tie in the science of botany with the use of plants/plant products for society), and I was so embarrassed that I did that to the professor.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xSilverPhinx

I can take a power nap without feeling overly guilty for doing so.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Proud Dad moment :)

My son in the McLaren pit during testing. He's Alonso's performance engineer this season!

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bluenose

Quote from: Tank on February 23, 2018, 09:28:13 AM
Proud Dad moment :)

My son in the McLaren pit during testing. He's Alonso's performance engineer this season!

Fabuloso!  Very exciting!   8)
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Buddy

Congratulations to Tank Jr! That's an impressive accomplishment  ;D