News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Cassini Equinox Mission

Started by Recusant, April 24, 2009, 03:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

The rings of Saturn, showing the 'spokes' fairly clearly.

You can go here to view a lot of pretty cool stuff sent back by Cassini.  It's still out there working!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

joeactor

karadan

The remnants of the Infra-space contrails caused by the sub light engines of a Briperion heavy interdictor whilst performing a crash stop maneuver close to Saturns rings in 1982. :)
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Recusant

Cassini's mission is nearing its end, having produced a treasure trove of beautiful images and intriguing science. One of the latest discoveries is hydrogen in the plumes being expelled from Enceladus (one of the moons of Saturn).

Quote[NASA] has found the most compelling evidence yet that the ocean underneath the icy crust of Enceladus, Saturn's sixth-largest moon, could contain life. In the past, the Cassini spacecraft has observed jets of water containing organic chemicals streaming from Enceladus. This latest finding adds a key ingredient for life to the mix: hydrogen. The presence of hydrogen in the jets makes NASA scientists suspect there are geothermal geysers on Enceladus's ocean floor. Like the geothermal vents deep within Earth's oceans, these could be home to microbes that use the chemical energy of hydrogen and carbon dioxide to produce methane and energy for life. (Also today, NASA announced it has collected more (not-yet-conclusive) evidence that there are also water vapor plumes emanating from Europa, Jupiter's icy moon. )

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Talk about thread necromancy!!!
There's me wondering who this new member karadan is with so many posts!

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Karadan is surely a Brit. He talks funny and uses Brit words such as "whilst".  Not only do mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid day sun, the Englishmen appear to be compelled to add extra letters to simple words such as ...while. They also insist that the word for describing the particular hue of an object is colour. Observe the completely un necessary and wasteful use of the letter U in the British word for color. 

Aside from that homely observation, let us all raise our glasses to Cassini. ( any excuse to raise our glasses will suffice. Scotch whiskey anyone?)

Dave

QuoteKaradan is surely a Brit.

Well, karadan claims to be located in the UK.  Could be an immigrant without British nationality, Icarus, and some forrigners are taught less than up to date English. Indian English used to be very formal - but the Internet is probably changing that.

Whilst we are on the subject . . . what's wrong with correct English? There are more archaisms in American (some of which sre being re-imported after about 400 years, like "skillet".)

;)

Anyway, some fabuloso pictures there!

Later: "karadan" is a Turkish word meaning "overland".
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

I am just funnin' about the language bit Gloucester.

Magdalena

Eyes on Cassini

Cassini crosses the gap between the innermost ring and Saturn on April 26th, 2017.

That was yesterday.  :tellmemore:

More here:
http://eyes.jpl.nasa.gov/eyes-on-cassini.html

Now you can ride onboard the spacecraft throughout the entire mission (20 years) using "Eyes on Cassini" on your Mac or PC.

In this interactive visualization, you can ride along with the Cassini spacecraft at any time during the entire mission, a period of 20 years! For example, watch the arrival at Saturn on July 1st, 2004, or see Cassini launch the Huygens probe and follow it to Titan, the largest moon of Saturn.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

I downloaded it, and have done a bit of exploring. It looks like there is a lot of intriguing stuff there. Thank you, Magdalena:)
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on April 27, 2017, 07:12:07 PM
I downloaded it, and have done a bit of exploring. It looks like there is a lot of intriguing stuff there. Thank you, Magdalena:)
I downloaded it as well.  :)
But for some reason, my computer is slow right now, so I'm gonna have to wait to do some exploring.  :(
Thank you for starting this thread.  :beer:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

Quote from: Magdalena on April 27, 2017, 04:17:40 PM
Eyes on Cassini

That was yesterday.  :tellmemore:

More here:
http://eyes.jpl.nasa.gov/eyes-on-cassini.html

Now you can ride onboard the spacecraft throughout the entire mission (20 years) using "Eyes on Cassini" on your Mac or PC.

In this interactive visualization, you can ride along with the Cassini spacecraft at any time during the entire mission, a period of 20 years! For example, watch the arrival at Saturn on July 1st, 2004, or see Cassini launch the Huygens probe and follow it to Titan, the largest moon of Saturn.

Cool! Thanks, Mags!

Downloading now...

JPL has tours - I should really take one some day.

Recusant

— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

Fascinating stuff Recusant.   A link from the video takes us here for more fascinating stuff....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L471ct7YDo