News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

How often and where do you use actual cash?

Started by Dave, December 24, 2017, 09:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Listening to a radio programme about teaching kids about how to handle money sensibly. So far fibancual aducation is only required at 7th grade up, 12+. Some academies at kindergarten level, who do not have to rigidly follow the National Curiculum, start "playing shop" then. One researcher said that they are now teaching kids who might rarely, if ever, use actual coins or paper money. They needed to start teaching them responsible use of technology.

Made me think. Probably 95% or more of my purchases are made using a debit card, I only use cash when I buy one or two items in a "pound shop", or a can of drink, or something from a machine - items costing £2 or less. I have to ask for £1 coins as a cash-back in the supermarket. Have not got round to using my mobile to pay for stuff yet - waiting to see drink machines etc that use the technology!

Alibaba has a trial running in a town in China, it seems, using only technology to buy things. I would guess lots of people are watching it closely. The cynical me says it is more data that the authorties can gather on their citizens - instant info on who buys what, when, where.

I only carry £20 cash in my wallet, in fivers if I can get them, and those notes can stay there for months. But there is always £5 minimum in coins in my pocket. So far . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Hardly ever any more.  I usually carry a few bucks around just in case but, as with you, they can stay there the longest time.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Money bills? Cash? What even are those? :P

I use credit cards. 

I think the psychological effect of using credit is the worst thing there is, you spend money you don't have and that you plan to pay later. If you are unable to pay, you push the debt even further into the future with added interest.

Even so, I'm currently stuck using my credit cards in order to buy basic commodities. :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 25, 2017, 01:41:58 AM
Even so, I'm currently stuck using my credit cards in order to buy basic commodities. :(

A common problem when you're young.  It'll end later on and then it will be all debit cards and no debt unless you buy a car or house.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Yeah, I chopped up my credit cards about 30 years ago. Was tough ar first but glad that I did!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

In the last year I've moved to (debit) card mostly.
The self service checkout part of the supermarket has card only terminals, there's a time premium if you want to pay cash.  You don't even have to remember your four numbers if you're <$100.
I pay for petrol with dollars, I don't want them touching my card.
The fruit shop, I give them dollars too.
And Aldi, they charge you for using a card.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 25, 2017, 02:37:17 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 25, 2017, 01:41:58 AM

A common problem when you're young.  It'll end later on and then it will be all debit cards and no debt unless you buy a car or house.

Perhaps. Thing is, I'm not that young anymore (going to turn 32 next month) and there doesn't seem to be an end to it in sight. :sad sigh:

Anyway, I hope the time will come soon when I can pay my debts and not be a month behind in payments, then use my debit card so that there are no illusions of having more money than I actually have. I still wouldn't use cash because the odds of getting robbed by opportunists are high. With a debit card they would have to take me or my finger with them to an ATM to withdraw money.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Pasta Chick

Just flyball team stuff, because it's just money being collected by the group of us for future purposes. Even that I pay way ahead because ATMs only dispense 20 dollar bills so getting change is a pain.