News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Medical science and technology

Started by Dave, September 07, 2017, 03:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 26, 2018, 01:37:02 PM
Quote from: Dave on March 26, 2018, 01:35:38 PM
...I was the one without nasty sore red bits after two days.

Then you got the last laugh.  :devil:

Yeah! Students, eh? Skin tight jeans and cropped tops are not suitable on a sunny hill-top with long periods in one position - would have thought even freshers would have had the advice and stuck to it.

Baggy pants and sloppy tops rule, OK? I had one of the Arabic thobs, from Bahrein, but decided not to wear that.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Another sci-fi icon gets closer:
QuoteBionic contact lenses are being developed to provide a virtual display that could have a variety of uses from assisting the visually impaired to the video game industry. The device will have the form of a conventional contact lens with added bionics technology in the form of augmented reality, with functional electronic circuits and infrared lights to create a virtual display. Babak Parviz, a University of Washington assistant professor of electrical engineering is quoted as saying "Looking through a completed lens, you would see what the display is generating superimposed on the world outside
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionic_contact_lens

Another use for contact lenses,(in development by an Alphabet/Google subsidary) monitoring glucose levels, is hitting problems.
QuoteGoogle Contact Lens is a smart contact lens project announced by Google on 16 January 2014.[1] The project aims to assist people with diabetes by constantly measuring the glucose levels in their tears.[2] The project is being carried out by Verily and it is currently being tested using prototypes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Contact_Lens

Wonder what other things tears might be diagnostic for?

Icarus

Silver...are you there?.....Help.   This morning the NPR (National Public Radio) program had two medical researcher women who were discussing something that they called kilomeres. (sp).  They are a part of the human genome that are made like strings.  They vary in length and the shorter they are, the more serious the affect on ones long term health outcome. They used a metaphor about shoestrings with the little plastic tip at the end. 

Wikipedia has no reference to such a word.  One of the ladies is a Nobel prize recipient who teaches at University of California.  I do not think her a quack who is peddling snake oil.        Whatza kilomere?   :bigspecs: :notes:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on March 31, 2018, 09:10:21 PM
Silver...are you there?.....Help.   This morning the NPR (National Public Radio) program had two medical researcher women who were discussing something that they called kilomeres. (sp).  They are a part of the human genome that are made like strings.  They vary in length and the shorter they are, the more serious the affect on ones long term health outcome. They used a metaphor about shoestrings with the little plastic tip at the end. 

Wikipedia has no reference to such a word.  One of the ladies is a Nobel prize recipient who teaches at University of California.  I do not think her a quack who is peddling snake oil.        Whatza kilomere?   :bigspecs: :notes:

:notsure: I've never heard of kilomeres, but based on your description I would say they were talking about telomeres. :smilenod:

Telomere

Dave

Sounds like it should be telomeres, the terminators that define the ends of the genes IIRC. These shorten as we age and leave us prone to cancer.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 31, 2018, 09:20:07 PM

Sounds like it should be telomeres, the terminators that define the ends of the genes IIRC. These shorten as we age and leave us prone to cancer.

You may be thinking of chromosomes which contain genes, not genes themselves, which contain other sequences that stop proteins from 'reading' and making other molecules from them. Normal humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes, and all our genes are contained within them.

This is an image from the wiki page showing telomeres (in white), which cap each chromosome a bit like shoelaces are capped with the plastic thingy. 

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 26, 2018, 02:07:12 PM
^ :hehe:

Found this:

...So, not the sand-colored one over yonder *point* ?  :o
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 01, 2018, 04:20:14 PM
Quote from: Dave on March 31, 2018, 09:20:07 PM

You may be thinking of chromosomes which contain genes, not genes themselves, which contain other sequences that stop proteins from 'reading' and making other molecules from them. Normal humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes, and all our genes are contained within them.

This is an image from the wiki page showing telomeres (in white), which cap each chromosome a bit like shoelaces are capped with the plastic thingy. 

Yeah, I always get me genes and chromosomes  confussed!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on April 01, 2018, 04:26:48 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 26, 2018, 02:07:12 PM
^ :hehe:

Found this:

...So, not the sand-colored one over yonder *point* ?  :o

:snicker: It's just that I took a while to see the human chameleon on the sand.

Icarus

Telomeres it is.  Thanks for that information. 

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 01, 2018, 04:34:43 PM

Blimey, I never even spotted her until your last post, Silver!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on April 02, 2018, 09:11:29 AM

:lol:

Asmodean

Quote from: Dave on April 02, 2018, 09:11:29 AM

Did The Asmo brag about His new artificial eyes which make Him even more All-Seeing than before? Well, He has Him them, and they are beautiful.

oO(The things He now hath seen though, which He shalt never un-see... *shudder* :( )
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

QuoteOrganic printing inks may restore sight to blind people
A simple retinal prosthesis is being developed in collaboration between Tel Aviv University in Israel and LiU. Fabricated using cheap and widely-available organic pigments used in printing inks and cosmetics, it consists of tiny pixels like a digital camera sensor on a nanometric scale. Researchers hope that it can restore sight to blind people.

https://liu.se/en/news-item/organiska-ledande-pigment-kan-ge-blinda-synen-ater