News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Voluntourism

Started by Dave, September 04, 2017, 04:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

QuoteWhat is voluntourism?
A combination of volunteering and tourism, voluntourism is a popular form of international travel that allows you to contribute to sustainable development while exploring a new country and culture. Voluntourism is a similar experience to volunteer travel or a volunteer vacation and many people find that doing meaningful volunteer work while also participating in tourism is a great way to get the best of both worlds.

Voluntourism: More than just combining volunteering and sightseeing
So says the blurb on the web page of Projects Abroad.

Could be a good thing, were not that human nature finds ways of corrupting things to make fortunes out of it. Often involving human misery. It seems that in many countries families are being coerced into giving up their children to "orphanages" to attract funding and other forms of support, and "voluntourists",  but it is effectively a criminal industry bordering on slavery. The blight is spread on social media of course.

QuoteJK Rowling condemns 'voluntourism' and highlights dangers of volunteering in orphanages overseas
'I will never retweet appeals that treat poor children as opportunities to enhance Westerners' CVs,' says Rowling
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jk-rowling-twitter-voluntourism-volunteering-in-orphanages-risks-a7204801.html

Be sure that any charities working overseas that you support are kosher, not criminal. Especially make sure orphanages are genuine.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

No one

Humans are just plain shitty malevolent cuntwads! Fuck them!

jumbojak

Quote from: No one on September 04, 2017, 05:00:41 PM

So are most species of Jay. Blue Jays are the worst.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Sandra Craft

Quote from: jumbojak on September 04, 2017, 05:44:01 PM
Quote from: No one on September 04, 2017, 05:00:41 PM

So are most species of Jay. Blue Jays are the worst.

I saw a blue jay attack and drive off a falcon several times its size once.  The falcon wasn't even bothering it, the jay just didn't like its face.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

I have Blue Jays at my back yard bird feeder every day.  I have not seen any overly aggressive behavior from them. In fact a momma cardinal who is smaller than the jays, has driven a jay from the feeder on several occasions.  There is also a little bird, possibly a sparrow , that I can not identify with certainty.  That little dude is fearless. He/she will come to the feeder when there are one or two jays busily gobbling up the sunflower seeds. That little bird is either gutsy as hell or  too dumb to be afraid.  The jays do not accost him at all.  The Jays and the Mourning doves seem to have made a peaceful accord. Sometimes there will be a dove on one side of the feeder and a jay on the other. 

The doves are the most gluttonous breed of  my birds. They are responsible for more seed consumption than all the rest combined.

Icarus

Back to the original post.  My daughter and her church group do a volunteer trip to an obscure village in Cuba every year. The villagers are already steeped in religion so evangelism is not the major thrust.  The poor villagers are almost destitute but they are hospitable beyond belief.

The church group does bring supplies, mostly food staples and things like soap and toilet tissue to the village. The things that they can bring are strictly restricted to government approved items. The villagers grow some food crops but are allowed only enough of the harvest to fulfill their own meager needs. Any excess is taken by the government.  Imagine...if your chickens produce more eggs than the government allowed number, then you are obliged to turn the extras over to to big brother. Failure to do so is a dangerous breach of the law.

I am not keen on churches but this one, a Southern Baptist church,  for cryin' out loud, , is trying their best to be of service to fellow citizens of the world without the frantic proselytizing that one would expect from a small town Georgia  church membership.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on September 05, 2017, 12:38:14 AM
Back to the original post.  My daughter and her church group do a volunteer trip to an obscure village in Cuba every year. The villagers are already steeped in religion so evangelism is not the major thrust.  The poor villagers are almost destitute but they are hospitable beyond belief.

The church group does bring supplies, mostly food staples and things like soap and toilet tissue to the village. The things that they can bring are strictly restricted to government approved items. The villagers grow some food crops but are allowed only enough of the harvest to fulfill their own meager needs. Any excess is taken by the government.  Imagine...if your chickens produce more eggs than the government allowed number, then you are obliged to turn the extras over to to big brother. Failure to do so is a dangerous breach of the law.

I am not keen on churches but this one, a Southern Baptist church,  for cryin' out loud, , is trying their best to be of service to fellow citizens of the world without the frantic proselytizing that one would expect from a small town Georgia  church membership.

Lots of genuine volunteers and even more genuine causes - almost certainly. But it is obviously a sector really open to abuse in some of the less well governed countries. From the ancient practice of deliberately mutilating children, so that they can beg with obvious need, to organused crime getting in on the act both kids and gullible wannabe do-gooders are open to exploitation.

It is another fsce of the same inhumanity that promotes paedophile sex tourism and the rafficking, in the sex industry of young girls, and probably boys, into effective slavery in foreign countries.

Don't derail this guys, ignore it but don't mock it.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

No one

No attempt to derail or mock, just pointing out just how much humans suck! Even in the worst of times the filthy parasites come out to leech and pilfer any rays of hope that remain.