News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

The Mandela Effect and "Alternate Memories"

Started by xSilverPhinx, April 15, 2017, 12:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Apparently remembered misinformation and distorted memories shared by many people are evidence of alternate realities, conspiracy theories involving people's memories and bad people at CERN doing things they shouldn't be doing. A simple google search will turn up countless sites and pages on the Mandela Effect, coined by Fiona Broome just two years ago (blog: Mandela Effect). She defends that collective false memories are proof that information can be shared between alternate universes, yet another example of the use and abuse of quantum physics to explain phenomena.  ::) 

The things people come up with. :popcorn:

QuoteSimilar false memories are sometimes shared by multiple people. For example, a somewhat commonly reported false memory is that the name of the Berenstain Bears was once spelled Berenstein. Another reported example are false memories of a movie starring the comedian Sinbad, called Shazaam. In one study, 92% of those familiar with a train-station clock that had been stopped 16 years after a terrorist attack as a symbolic commemoration, falsely remembered that it had been stopped since the attack itself. In 2015 this phenomenon was dubbed the "Mandela Effect" by self-described "paranormal consultant" Fiona Broome, in reference to a false memory she reports, of the death of Nelson Mandela in the 1980s (rather than in 2013), which she claims is shared by "perhaps thousands" of other people. Broome has speculated about alternate realities as an explanation, but most commentators suggest that these are instead examples of false memories shaped by similar factors affecting multiple people, such as social reinforcement of incorrect memories, or false news reports and misleading photographs influencing the formation of memories based on them.

Taken from Collective False Memories (Wikipedia)

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

solidsquid

I think a lot of motivation behind some of these wild ideas is that is has an air of mystery to it.  People love mystery and unanswered questions as it lets their imaginations run wild.  I think that is partially why when a plausible yet mundane explanation is produced it is often widely rejected in favor of a more outlandish one just because it's, for lack of a better word, sexier.

Arturo

@SPx I've known about the Mandela Effect for the better part of a year now. I always thought Looney Tunes was spelled Looney Toons and that Darth Vader said "Luke I am your father". I told some people of the effect once and attributed it to the idea that people have bad memories, which is why anecdotes are not good sources of information. They thought that I was trying to say that the Mandela Effect was true and decided to come up with a test. When I rejected the test by saying people's memories are crap, they got angry. Well it was really one guy but others were present.

Quote from: solidsquid on April 15, 2017, 03:46:19 PM
I think a lot of motivation behind some of these wild ideas is that is has an air of mystery to it.  People love mystery and unanswered questions as it lets their imaginations run wild.  I think that is partially why when a plausible yet mundane explanation is produced it is often widely rejected in favor of a more outlandish one just because it's, for lack of a better word, sexier.
Yeah I think people get a better "reward" from hearing something that more "sexy". Also with current YouTube politics, if you keep up with them, the ads were pulled by corporations due to a conspiracy by the mainstream media to try and take down the new media, YouTube. But Thunderf00t gives something more consistent and grounded so therefore it's more believable to me.

If you care to watch, these are Thunderf00t's videos on the subject of ads being pulled

But this is just one example of people enjoying outlandish ideas more than simple, more reasonable ones.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

I read an article on the Mandela Effect. I knew that people had mistaken Mandela for dying in the 80's, and I heard about the Mandela effect and I thought it just referred to people's ability to misremember things and think the false memories are fact. That would be perfectly fine with me.

Then I as kept reading the article that took a turn down crazy lane. They got into the alternate realities and all but saying outright that all false memories are memories that come from parallel dimensions. Which implies that our memories are close to infallible.

So now when I remember something that turns out to be false, I'll just claim that I'm in the wrong universe.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

No one

I seem to remember being the first one to post in this thread.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on April 17, 2017, 08:34:33 PM
I seem to remember being the first one to post in this thread.

Maybe in another universe.

Dragonia

Wait.....!
Did Darth Vader NOT say, "Luke I am your father"?
It's the only part of Star Wars that I thought I knew!
Now I have nothing..... except a vague longing for the princess' ginormous side buns...
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dave

Quote from: Dragonia on April 25, 2017, 02:08:02 PM
Wait.....!
Now I have nothing..... except a vague longing for the princess' ginormous side buns...

I had a vague longjng for the princes!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on April 25, 2017, 02:17:30 PM
Wait.....!

I had a vague longjng for the princes!

Which princes would that be? I don't recall there being any princes in Star Wars...

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

xSilverPhinx

Wait.....!

:lol:

Apparently not...

I had to check for myself, as I have the same memory of him saying "Luke, I am your father", but have no problem accepting that that memory was created more by people repeatably saying it wrong, a phrase I heard and read way more often than the times I actually watched the clip of movie. The repeated reactivation of the false memory made it stronger than that of what was actually said.

It's a socially reinforced false memory. 

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 25, 2017, 09:16:56 PM
Wait.....!

:lol:

Apparently not...

I had to check for myself, as I have the same memory of him saying "Luke, I am your father", but have no problem accepting that that memory was created more by people repeatably saying it wrong, a phrase I heard and read way more often than the times I actually watched the clip of movie. The repeated reactivation of the false memory made it stronger than that of what was actually said.

It's a socially reinforced false memory.

Like, "Play it again, Sam" instead of, "Play it once, Sam." . . ."Play it."

Or

"...you dirty rat..." instead of "...you yellow bellied rat..."
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74