News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Tom, I join the others with sympathy and caring.

jumbojak

Mama's washing machine is broken. Guess who gets to fix it? Thus far I've run into a stuck hot water valve and a machine that appears to be larger than the door in every important dimension... Got a little wet fighting with the valve. If I remember correctly the washer was brought in before the addition was built and we covered the original outside door. This could get interesting.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on July 19, 2017, 07:22:33 PM
Thank you guys for your support I really appreciate it. Latest Info, my brother died at 8:00 AM.
I'm likely to be offline from this Saturday till Monday, since the cremation will be in the Netherlands.
So sorry to read this. My condolences to you and your family.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Damn Tom, I just saw your post about your brother. Sorry to hear that.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: jumbojak on July 21, 2017, 02:27:30 AM
Mama's washing machine is broken. Guess who gets to fix it? Thus far I've run into a stuck hot water valve and a machine that appears to be larger than the door in every important dimension... Got a little wet fighting with the valve. If I remember correctly the washer was brought in before the addition was built and we covered the original outside door. This could get interesting.

Washing machines, especially older ones can be a pain in the ass to fix sometimes, good luck if it is an old one.

When we moved into our present house the previous owners had built a laundry room around an old porcelain stove in the basement, and I had the same issue with it being wider than the narrow door they put into the room. (You know those old long white gas porcelain stoves, the ones with the red trim, along with those elbow shaped handles..?)

The stove took too much room and I wanted it out, so I removed the door, doorjamb, and cut away at the wall itself in order to get it out. Ended up putting a wider door in.

Plus, had to remove hand rail on the steps, and remove the back door off the hinges (As well as storm) to get it out. Ended up having to remain the stairway walls afterwards.

Took four of us to get the fucking thing out...if I was faced with the same situation today I would leave it, as I was much younger than. Why they brought that down in the first place is beyond me...however. They were polish, so it kinda figures.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Washing machines are the devil's invention.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Essie Mae

Boots the Chemist, a very old, well known UK company with a store on every high street, is accused of keeping the cost of the 'morning after' pill artificially high, (£28 - $36 appx) and unlike other chemists, has refused to reduce the price at the request of government.  Boots said they didn't want it used irresponsibly. They are backtracking now after huge 'women's right to choose' protests and accusations of moralising and treating women like children.  I just wonder if their original stance has anything to with fact that the company was bought by an American concern, (Walgreens) recently?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Tank

Quote from: Essie Mae on July 22, 2017, 10:36:14 PM
Boots the Chemist, a very old, well known UK company with a store on every high street, is accused of keeping the cost of the 'morning after' pill artificially high, (£28 - $36 appx) and unlike other chemists, has refused to reduce the price at the request of government.  Boots said they didn't want it used irresponsibly. They are backtracking now after huge 'women's right to choose' protests and accusations of moralising and treating women like children.  I just wonder if their original stance has anything to with fact that the company was bought by an American concern, (Walgreens) recently?
Exactly the same thought crossed my mind.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

My brother's funeral was very impressive. It was an atheist funeral, approx. 100 people attended. There were 4 speeches (from his daughter, his best friend and my two younger brothers), that gave a very decent impression of who my brother was, what he has done in (and with) his life, how he lived and how he'd treated others. Some funny stories, some crazy stories, some good stories but also some stories that makes you feel very sad and even angry. My brother was no saint, he was a man that lived life to the full but who was also very controversial, who had a heart of gold, but who could not always be trusted. A damned good software developer though. I'll miss him, but I do hope that some of the bad memories will fade away over time.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

^^^
This is nice, Tom62.
Funerals are tough--memories, feelings, stories, etc. A ceremony to say goodbye to those we loved, and we must move on.  :(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tom62

Quote from: Magdalena on July 25, 2017, 07:52:46 PM
^^^
This is nice, Tom62.
Funerals are tough--memories, feelings, stories, etc. A ceremony to say goodbye to those we loved, and we must move on.  :(

That is true. What I like the most is that there was no the stories showed the good and the darker side of my brother. This is so much unlike many religious based funerals, where everyone who died was a wonderful person and no-one will to Hell.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

Yes, we all have warts and those are part of who we are.

When my sister died her kids and I spent that first evening relating all the times she had been unjust, unfair, just nasty etc in our lives - mostly jokingly. The youngest did not fully understand that this helped get all the "bile" out our minds so that only love was left.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tom62 on July 25, 2017, 09:14:08 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on July 25, 2017, 07:52:46 PM
^^^
This is nice, Tom62.

That is true. What I like the most is that there was no the stories showed the good and the darker side of my brother. This is so much unlike many religious based funerals, where everyone who died was a wonderful person and no-one will to Hell.

IMO funerals that aren't realistic do not honour the person's memory. We all have our faults, why sweep some of the things that make us who we are under the carpet?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

I mean nobody can really define who we are. There is the impression people have of us, but people aren't as smart as they think they are, and we aren't as smart as people think we are. We all have our assumptions about people so I know if it were my funeral, the stories told about me would not do well to resemble me. So I don't try to put out that I know people better than I do, but I do know enough to try to lighten the mood when someone dies. It's still awkward, but at least it's not sad lol
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱