News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on May 25, 2017, 09:23:45 AM
Poor old Fernanda!

:sad sigh:

'Tis life.

While my primary motivation is not to make money, it would be better if the student grant was more than what is basically a symbolic value.  I go to the lab practically everyday and am given a little over the equivalent of 120 US dollars or 90 British pounds a month to do so. That leaves little time and energy for other projects and endeavors that pay better. [/rant] 

I like your new avatar, OG.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

It's warm, it's a bit sticky, I have the window open to get a breeze.

But the Brainless Bozo with the Big Beer Belly who lives across the road has a visitor with all his car doors open playing rap at full bore!!!

:geezer!:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Gloucester on May 20, 2017, 05:55:46 PM

It is NOT  "English weather". Most of our weather systems come from the West. Which countries are West of England? Bluddy Ireland and America!

It's second hand Irish-American weather!!!

So if I fart in your general direction it could drift over and cause a shit storm over there?  Expect more farting.  Consider it to be Americans sharing intelligence with you.  Hell, we share it with everyone else.

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 25, 2017, 08:03:05 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on May 20, 2017, 05:55:46 PM

It is NOT  "English weather". Most of our weather systems come from the West. Which countries are West of England? Bluddy Ireland and America!

It's second hand Irish-American weather!!!

So if I fart in your general direction it could drift over and cause a shit storm over there?  Expect more farting.  Consider it to be Americans sharing intelligence with you.  Hell, we share it with everyone else.

Well, you must have heard of the chaos theory thing about the butterfly flapping its wings half a world away . . .

Hey, that means my farts might hit the French! I like that!

Where's that big tin of beans . . .

NoHandlebarsAttached

My fucking school is trying to keep me from going back because "WAAAH, YOU ALREADY HAVE A TWO YEAR DEGREE, WHY WOULD YOU NEED A FOUR YEAR!"
Fucking assholes. Maybe it's because I don't want to wind up working as an advisor my whole life. This town pisses me off.

Arturo

Quote from: NoHandlebarsAttached on May 28, 2017, 05:19:33 AM
My fucking school is trying to keep me from going back because "WAAAH, YOU ALREADY HAVE A TWO YEAR DEGREE, WHY WOULD YOU NEED A FOUR YEAR!"
Fucking assholes. Maybe it's because I don't want to wind up working as an advisor my whole life. This town pisses me off.

Find them. And end them.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

NoHandlebarsAttached

Quote from: Arturo on May 28, 2017, 06:23:00 AM
Quote from: NoHandlebarsAttached on May 28, 2017, 05:19:33 AM

Find them. And end them.
Eeeeh... That sounds like word. I'm a tad too smashed for work.

Arturo

I sent an email to dte to put the electricity in my name yesterday mornjng and apparently I typed the email wrong and Google didn't tell me until today!  :grrr:
     Arturo The1  リ壱

No one

xSilverPhinx

I'm way behind schedule. With each passing deadline I die a little inside.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

That sucks. I remember when I was behind on school assignments... but I'm sure mine were easier took less work.

I'm grumpy because I'm working on an application and near the end, one group of people wants something stupid and our group wants to do it the right way.

The application is designed to send out an email when a product comes through that has not been configured. That way, one of the people that gets that email can go in to a screen and configure it.

But because these guys don't want to fill out a lot of values (and it is a lot of values), they wanted me to program in default values that will be used when a value isn't filled out.

Well that just destroys the whole point of making sure products are configured. And down the line, when we get a new product where the default value doesn't work and they forget to configure it... well they'll ask why.

Thankfully, my BA and I agree so we're doing it a different way. A compromise that involves inserting just more than 14k records into the db.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

I got my keys for my new apartment today and the electronic pass to get in the building. I went back later to put some stuff in my apartment and the pass didn't work. It was after hours at the office and I didn't feel like calling maintenance to let me in because it's the office's fault for giving me a bad pass. So I called and left a message.

I'm not actually angry about this. It's a minor inconvenience. I just don't have a name for a thread that would suit this right now.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

jumbojak

Quote from: Davin on June 06, 2017, 04:12:54 PM
That sucks. I remember when I was behind on school assignments... but I'm sure mine were easier took less work.

I'm grumpy because I'm working on an application and near the end, one group of people wants something stupid and our group wants to do it the right way.

The application is designed to send out an email when a product comes through that has not been configured. That way, one of the people that gets that email can go in to a screen and configure it.

But because these guys don't want to fill out a lot of values (and it is a lot of values), they wanted me to program in default values that will be used when a value isn't filled out.

Well that just destroys the whole point of making sure products are configured. And down the line, when we get a new product where the default value doesn't work and they forget to configure it... well they'll ask why.

Thankfully, my BA and I agree so we're doing it a different way. A compromise that involves inserting just more than 14k records into the db.

This happens to me at work whenever something breaks. They come to me to fix it and when I tell them what's required - usually something we don't have on hand - they then ask me to just "make it work."

Sometimes I do exactly that but if it's something I'll have to deal with on a regular basis I bring what I need from home to do it right. Our new director seems to be of a similar mind to me so I've been getting more of what I need to do the things that are asked of me. It's grudgingly given though.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Arturo

Again, I'm not exactly angry about this, but this is the best thread that fits.

Every year, someone has to try and be a bad ass in my neighborhood that isn't from here. This time a guy yelled at me to move so he could speed down my street while I'm crossing. I tell him "FUCK YOU" and he speeds up and stops in front of my house. Only after I've crossed of course because fuck him, this is MY street and i'm going to cross slow. He tries to provoke a fight with me by saying "what's up?" from his car. I tell him to fuck off and his friend tells him to drive. He drives.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

I should not be so pedantic, I make enough mistakes (even excluding typos) myself, but I still feel annoyed when authors get technical things wrong. Lots of scope for it in the kind of stuff I read!

Latest is using "ligature" rather than "ligament". Self-published, even via Amazon etc, never seem to get proof read and often contain the wrong words or sloppy grammar. Since I find it impossible to just read without "proofreading" and editing as I go this is like hitting a wall. Some look like there were ductsted to a not very good speech-to-text engine.

There are other less-than-accurate technical things in the book but one has to allow a little lee-way. I suppose...