Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Last call, last call, last call!!!

It's 8:50 in the UK. Deadline is 17:00 UK. If you're going to do it you need to do it  :grin:
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Feliz cumpleaños, Davin!
« Last Post by Magdalena on April 22, 2017, 10:41:05 PM »
Es loroco, Father Bruno:fingertap:
You know, pupusas revueltas y de queso con loroco.

Oh, Fernaldia pandurata.

Loroco.
Creationism/Intelligent Design / Re: Creationist/Flat Earth/Etc Images
« Last Post by Icarus on April 22, 2017, 10:27:51 PM »
^ cool image xSP. Unfortunately beyond the ken of some of our more cerebral indiciduals.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
« Last Post by Icarus on April 22, 2017, 10:18:26 PM »
I am sympathetic for you Velma. I have been there in a somewhat similar way.

I married the widow Lorraine, who had a three year old son.  I became Fred's father, in fact, and in spirit. In time I did the legal Adoption option. That was more than 50 years ago.

Fred never liked me despite my having bought him five, yes five, cars while he was in high school. He wrecked every one of them, deliberately, because none of them were the Corvette that he wanted. and I could not afford to buy, nor did I think that model ideal for a high school kid. 

We built soap box racers together, we did model building together, we did other things together, I bailed him out of jail for under age drinking, but nothing was ever good enough. When his mom died suddenly because she had a rheumatic heart valve problem from when she was a teen ager, Fred blamed me for her demise. We never made our peace after that and he resented the hell out of my having eventually  taken up a relationship with present wife, Elaine, after four years of good behavior on my part.

Fred died after three marriages and numerous affairs, yet I was the bad ass for having the temerity to entertain women other than his deceased mother. I did go to his funeral, not as a rememberance of Fred but because he and his sister were close. Fred, in his dying days opted to live in the same town as his sister. The sister, my natural daughter, did all the funeral arrangements in a location eight hours away from me.

My attitude at the funeral was not very tearful.  Velma, if you can make even the slightest use of that tale, then please do so. You are not obligated to cry for someone who has not been there for you.
Media / Re: HAF Book Club: May Book Poll
« Last Post by Velma on April 22, 2017, 09:32:34 PM »
Looked the list over again before I try to make my own choices and realized I want to read them all, right away.
You and I need to get together and party - and by party I mean raid local bookstores and then find somewhere quiet to read.  ;D
« Last Post by Father Bruno on April 22, 2017, 09:05:08 PM »

Oh, Fernaldia pandurata.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
« Last Post by Velma on April 22, 2017, 08:56:23 PM »
There is a bit of a sense of relief. My father had a way of glomming onto whichever of his children was doing the best financially. There was always a fear that he would show up on my doorstep if he ever found out my husband and I are financially comfortable - not rich by any means, but we generally have more money than month and can afford indulgences like dinner and a movie a couple of times a month. It is hard to explain. He never made outright demands, but he had a way of letting you know that he thought you owed him something.

My sister, who never cut ties with him, is taking it very hard. My brother, who was even more estranged than I was, is having that same mixture of feelings that I am.
Media / Re: HAF Book Club: May Book Poll
« Last Post by BooksCatsEtc on April 22, 2017, 08:48:55 PM »
Looked the list over again before I try to make my own choices and realized I want to read them all, right away.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Talking to myself . . .
« Last Post by Dragonia on April 22, 2017, 08:32:52 PM »
Not weird so much, just .....  sentimental!  And another dimension to your nostalgia is the fact that it sounds like a lot of what you hang on to and display are actual pieces of history, both personal and Americana. That's kind of neat! I say surround yourself with what you love! Screw what others think about it.
I myself am not very sentimental, and I can kind of trace why that personality trait developed in me. I get rid of stuff like you wouldn't believe. But there are definitely times that I wish so much that I had kept something. 
« Last Post by Magdalena on April 22, 2017, 08:27:51 PM »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10