News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Hello, I'm Unsapien

Started by Unsapien, November 18, 2018, 12:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unsapien

My apologies for my tardy reply...

I did not come from a religious family, but after my mother died of ALS when I was 14, I had many people talk to me about how she's gone to another place, she's looking down at you from heaven etc...

and I liked the idea that my mother was still out there somewhere, that she was not really gone. But I wanted to know how people knew that that was true, so I started to read the bible in no small part because I realized that most people (it seemed) on earth believed in god, an afterlife etc, how can so many people be wrong?

I didn't get too far into genesis before I realized it was crap...any way long story short, just because one religion is wrong doesn't mean they all are so I spent years reading and learning about other religions before basically giving up and saying that its all crap.
"If we are to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

Essie Mae

Interesting Unsapien. It's always amazing to me that so many of you on this site came to that realisation when young. I was in my sixties before I saw the light ..... Right now I'm visiting my family in Oz and my D.I.L says she can't wait to introduce me to her Christian mums' group. I can't keep claiming jet lag as an excuse for much longer...... even though i'm typing this wide awake at 1.30am.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Icarus

Essie: hang in there dear lady.   Sometimes you just have to take the bitter with the sweet. 

I admit that I resent the hell out of the widespread presumption that I am obliged to be a practicing Christian or ultimately endure the fires of hell.

Bluenose

Hey Essie, if you're in Melbourne while you're over here, perhaps we can catch up for a coffee some time.

Although I see you said it was 1:30 am, but the time stamp on your post says 4:30 AM (Australian Eastern Summer Time) so I assume that means you're in Perth, not exactly next door...
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

SidewalkCynic

Quote from: Unsapien on November 18, 2018, 10:21:19 PMI've tried getting back onto AF.org from time to time, but the last time I tried it wouldn't accept my password and the reset didn't work. I might try again down the road.

So, what gets you banned?

I get banned for claiming that atheism is a political doctrine that opposes theist doctrine as the basis for public policy. Care to join in the argument against me, or are you truly an independent and critical thinker, and not bound by atheist dogma?
http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=16080.msg384569#msg384569
If there were a god, then it would have revealed itself to me. There has never been anything more important in the history of Mankind than what I am delivering - scientific collation theory for the organization of technology.

Unsapien

Quote from: SidewalkCynic on March 06, 2019, 07:38:37 PM
Quote from: Unsapien on November 18, 2018, 10:21:19 PMI've tried getting back onto AF.org from time to time, but the last time I tried it wouldn't accept my password and the reset didn't work. I might try again down the road.

So, what gets you banned?

I get banned for claiming that atheism is a political doctrine that opposes theist doctrine as the basis for public policy. Care to join in the argument against me, or are you truly an independent and critical thinker, and not bound by atheist dogma?
http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=16080.msg384569#msg384569

I didn't get banned, just had issues logging on, which have since been fixed. I'll read the thread and see what you're talking about.
"If we are to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

Essie Mae

Quote from: Bluenose on March 01, 2019, 02:36:30 AM
Hey Essie, if you're in Melbourne while you're over here, perhaps we can catch up for a coffee some time.

Although I see you said it was 1:30 am, but the time stamp on your post says 4:30 AM (Australian Eastern Summer Time) so I assume that means you're in Perth, not exactly next door...

You are correct Bn. I think the furthest we'll be going is Monkey Miah, still on the west coast. It would have been lovely to have a meet-up. The trouble with Perth is that it's not near anywhere. A great place to bring up children but I think I'd find it difficult to live here.

Bluenose

Quote from: Essie Mae on March 10, 2019, 03:28:17 PM

You are correct Bn. I think the furthest we'll be going is Monkey Miah, still on the west coast. It would have been lovely to have a meet-up. The trouble with Perth is that it's not near anywhere. A great place to bring up children but I think I'd find it difficult to live here.

Yep, an ocean on one side and a sea of sand on the other. :D

Still, if you ever do make it over this way sometime, it'd be great to catch up.  I managed to meet with a few internet friends, including Tank, when I was in the UK about three years ago.  It was great.  I thoroughly recommend it!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Bluenose on March 11, 2019, 04:52:57 AM

It's got Oceans on two sides, please adopt the only conceivable definition.
You don't want to group yourself with those sadly deficient post 1928 fools.
This refusal to universally adopt the true definition has caused many woes.
The movement of moist weather patterns to the south?
Yes that's probably the the most obvious harm, others are more insidious.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Bluenose on March 11, 2019, 04:52:57 AM

Still, if you ever do make it over this way sometime, it'd be great to catch up.  I managed to meet with a few internet friends, including Tank, when I was in the UK about three years ago.  It was great.  I thoroughly recommend it!

Wouldn't that be great?

Dark Lightning

Isn't there a rule here about hosers derailing introduction threads with their nonsense? Seems like a good policy to adopt.

Recusant

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 15, 2019, 02:57:13 AM
Isn't there a rule here about hosers derailing introduction threads with their nonsense? Seems like a good policy to adopt.

There is no specific rule here about that, but it is a general policy of the site to keep intro threads as mostly just that. Thank you for the reminder.  :thumbsup:

Credit to SidewalkCynic, he did repeatedly link to the discussion topic that he'd started, in an attempt to redirect the derail there.

I've split off the derail discussion from this thread and merged it with the appropriate thread beginning here, I believe.

Again, thanks.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey