News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

spring is coming

Started by billy rubin, January 22, 2020, 05:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

winter is one-third over.

it's cold, orion is still way high up in the pre-dawn at 41 degrees north. but there are only 90 days before the peepers. i'm lucky enough to have two or three major choruses within earshot. here's what they'll sound like:

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

Link not accessible in UK.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

We had spring last week. Winter came back and we'll probably be roasting by Valentine's Day.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

I'm melting here waiting for winter...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Light to 5pm 'ish here in the UK.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

5 or 6 C around here

very different from the -21 C i remember in january not so long ago

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 24, 2020, 10:09:55 PM

The months ticked over and the ones associated with Spring came but they did no renewal.
Maybe they will this year or maybe not.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on January 26, 2020, 12:44:36 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 24, 2020, 10:09:55 PM

The months ticked over and the ones associated with Spring came but they did no renewal.
Maybe they will this year or maybe not.

Over here Spring was basically indistinguishable from Summer. If a season could have an identity crisis, that would be it. ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

theyre out.

spring has hit. the peepers came out at dusk two nights back, juzt before first quarter.

Pseudacris crucifer, or Hyla crucifer if youre old.

theyre the firzt amphibians to come out in the eaztern united statez. i never heard them for most of my life, az i was elsewhere. but here in appalachia they mark the calendar for me just before the vernal equi nox.

most yearz they holler down the hill from me in smaller groups along the exge of the creek that cuts the low road to town. but in a good year theyll build a chorus together that thunders between the short bluffs on either side, so loud that you have to shout to be heard by someone standing close enough to touch. amazing. individually theyre small enough to sit on a dime, or a sixpence if you remember that far back.

therez still ice on the ztream edgez and in tbe puddles, but theat doesnt sliw them down.

ill get a recording as soon as theres a bunch together

billy rubin

this was in broad daylight-- just a few peepers, maybe five or six, and some sort of cricket frog. this is an old oil well that has a containment berm around it filled with water and some cattails. i was waiting to leave an injection well after unloading and heard these off about 50 yards from the apron.

i walked up to them, and then when i got close they spotted me and shut up. at least, all th epeepers did. the cricket frog was oblivious

midday calling is really uniusual

No one

Live where it's never winter, problem solved.

billy rubin

the other sign of spring is that my lovely wife buys chickens

Buddy

Oh my gosh those chicks are so cute! What kind are they?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

billy rubin

something called welsummer, she says

never heard of them

all the was available this early, straight run unsexed

Harmonie

Why would anyone point out something so dreadful in January? =/

Screw Spring. It already got up to 94 the other day. It's not even April. Spring is a lie.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony