If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively op

Started by Gnostic Christian Bishop, October 06, 2017, 11:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnostic Christian Bishop

If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose it?

Christians and Muslims seem to think so as evidenced by Inquisitions and Jihads.

I am a Gnostic Christian and we have always seen it as part of our belief system to oppose immoral and evil belief systems. We are not pacifists but historically have done our ideological fighting with good arguments instead of violence.

We have also called on all good people to actively oppose religions and ideologies that they feel are immoral and not deserving of their respect. That is a take-off on the adage that for evil to grow, all good people need do is nothing. Gnostic Christians believe in spreading good ideologies.

Both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and good moral arguments and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them a better and more moral ways. Some of Christianity has adopted these better ways of late but Islam is lagging and fighting against ideological reform.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did call them out for their evils in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

In whatever belief system you follow, be it humanist, secular, atheistic or religious, does your ideology require you to fight other ideologies or religions you find immoral or harmful to society?

Please specify what ideology you follow in your reply.

Regards
DL

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Hmm, only managed to find this on Atheist Republic so far. Getting a bit slack, Gnostic, or still early in this cycle of pasting all over the place?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Recusant

This "DL" goes by a different name on other sites. I suspected it was him when he created the account, because there really isn't any such thing as a "Gnostic Christian" and he's the only person I've encountered who describes themself as such. Despite my familiarity with his views, I decided that I couldn't in good faith with the ethos of this site just reject his account out of hand.

So, Gnostic Christian Bishop, perhaps you could give us some history of the development and principles of this Gnostic Christianity that you profess. For instance, name some historical figures that we would be able to read about who professed Gnostic Christianity in the past. Thank you in advance.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

If "gnostic" is the mirror of "agnostic" does that not make DL "one who knows the nature of god"? Thus if this is a new schism in the monotheistic, Abrahamic, family of faiths one supposes the founder can call him or herself by a high rank. Especially if the founder is also the only member.

So, DL, as Recusant has effectively asked, what is the creed you go by?

Later: Hmm, seems that there sre "gnostic churches", one in America, that home of strange beliefs (though it originated in Englsnd), one associated with the infamous Alistair Crowley and another that has beliefs about a relic held by the Knights Templar. So, dodgy pedigrees so far!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnostic_church
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Gnostic Christian Bishop

Quote from: Recusant on October 06, 2017, 11:34:58 PM
This "DL" goes by a different name on other sites. I suspected it was him when he created the account, because there really isn't any such thing as a "Gnostic Christian" and he's the only person I've encountered who describes themself as such. Despite my familiarity with his views, I decided that I couldn't in good faith with the ethos of this site just reject his account out of hand.

So, Gnostic Christian Bishop, perhaps you could give us some history of the development and principles of this Gnostic Christianity that you profess. For instance, name some historical figures that we would be able to read about who professed Gnostic Christianity in the past. Thank you in advance.

There are many but your own research is likely better than what I would give you to ignore.

Give a reply to the issues of the O.P. and I might reconsider.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop

Quote from: Dave on October 06, 2017, 11:50:11 PM
If "gnostic" is the mirror of "agnostic" does that not make DL "one who knows the nature of god"? Thus if this is a new schism in the monotheistic, Abrahamic, family of faiths one supposes the founder can call him or herself by a high rank. Especially if the founder is also the only member.

So, DL, as Recusant has effectively asked, what is the creed you go by?

Later: Hmm, seems that there sre "gnostic churches", one in America, that home of strange beliefs (though it originated in Englsnd), one associated with the infamous Alistair Crowley and another that has beliefs about a relic held by the Knights Templar. So, dodgy pedigrees so far!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnostic_church

The creed of free thought without anything supernatural.

As to the nature of God. His nature is man's nature as it looks like we invented all the God.

This follows natural law.

Regards
DL

Magdalena

Quote from: Dave on October 06, 2017, 11:26:28 PM
Hmm, only managed to find this on Atheist Republic so far. Getting a bit slack, Gnostic, or still early in this cycle of pasting all over the place?
I'm curious, so I went over there.
If anyone here can't wait to know what this is about, there's pages and pages of it:  :yawn:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I'm sorry if posting this takes away the thrill of finding out in a slow, painful way.  :-\

They talk about invisible friends, Cthulhu, Borg (Star Trek Next Generation), Jesus, cheep drugs, (I think they mean cheap), Crown Royal, Single Malt, etc, etc, etc. This is just the first page.

I don't really understand what it's about.  :headscratch:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Quote from: Gnostic Christian Bishop on October 07, 2017, 12:04:56 AM
Quote from: Recusant on October 06, 2017, 11:34:58 PM

There are many but your own research is likely better than what I would give you to ignore.

I asked you, Gnostic Christian Bishop, because as I clearly stated in the post to which you are replying, to the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as "Gnostic Christianity." This is your chance to set me straight. If you are incapable of giving an honest reply or are unwilling to do so, you will confirm my understanding.

Quote from: Gnostic Christian Bishop on October 06, 2017, 11:03:34 PM
I am a Gnostic Christian and we have always seen it as part of our belief system to oppose immoral and evil belief systems. We are not pacifists but historically have done our ideological fighting with good arguments instead of violence.

Please present examples from reputable sources showing Gnostic Christians in history fighting against immoral and evil belief systems with good arguments instead of violence.

Quote from: Gnostic Christian Bishop on October 06, 2017, 11:03:34 PMWe have also called on all good people to actively oppose religions and ideologies that they feel are immoral and not deserving of their respect. That is a take-off on the adage that for evil to grow, all good people need do is nothing. Gnostic Christians believe in spreading good ideologies.

Very well, and what are the good ideologies, in the view of these Gnostic Christians? Where might I be able to read more about the views of Gnostic Christianity?

Quote from: Gnostic Christian Bishop on October 06, 2017, 11:03:34 PMJesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did call them out for their evils in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

Great, please show me past examples of Gnostic Christians calling out Christianity and Islam for their evils.

Quote from: Gnostic Christian Bishop on October 06, 2017, 11:03:34 PMIn whatever belief system you follow, be it humanist, secular, atheistic or religious, does your ideology require you to fight other ideologies or religions you find immoral or harmful to society?

Given the above it appears that you consider argument to be equivalent to fighting. I argue against what I consider to be harmful elements in society, but not because of an ideology as such. Rather I do so as a means of discovery and because of my personal opposition to those harmful elements. Nor do I consider argument to be equivalent to fighting. In my view, ideally it is a way of learning and on rare occasions it can be a means to persuasion.

Quote from: Gnostic Christian Bishop on October 06, 2017, 11:03:34 PMPlease specify what ideology you follow in your reply.

For the sake of this discussion I will describe my ideology as Epicurean.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Gnostic Christian Bishop (DL) posts as The Greatest I Am on the Sam Harris forum. 

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 07, 2017, 04:42:31 AM
Gnostic Christian Bishop (DL) posts as The Greatest I Am on the Sam Harris forum.
The Campbells New England Clam Chowder Chunky Style Conversation, is funny.  ;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Whitney on January 11, 2009, 05:00:54 AM

NO PREACHING:  While everyone is welcome to discuss their views in a civil manner, this forum is not a podium for those that only wish to preach. This rule applies to atheists and theists alike. Preaching means stating your beliefs without providing evidence.  If directly asked what you believe you may answer but it would then become against the rules if you were to then refuse to back up your views objectively when honestly challenged.  This means that if you want to use your religious text to prove your deity, for instance, you will also need to be prepared to prove that your religious text is an objective source of evidence.

So for the third time. How's the whether where you are?

No one

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey