News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What Podcast For The Fashionable Atheist In This Year Of Our Lord 2023?

Started by The Magic Pudding., April 11, 2023, 11:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding.

For going to sleep purposes I Like The Naked Scientist, the proper one, not the little segments.
The Naked Scientist is kinda current science news though, so the back catalogue doesn't really appeal.

Even better is In Our Time
It is going to take me some years to get through In Our T' at my present rate of consumption. 
I may fall asleep ten minutes in, so next time start tenish minutes in.
No woke zealotry here to keep you awake, grinding your age diminished teeth.
The perfect aid to repose for old white bastards?
Just so.

I've enjoyed The Infinite Monkey Cage In the daytime but they are much too jovial to be conducive to sleep.

Asmodean

More a video source than podcasts, but I enjoys a lot of this here - even for sleeping purposes;

https://www.youtube.com/@progress-technology

I think I may have plugged this here video before;

Also, I must admit partiality to well-made Dungeons and Dragons campaigns. My current source is Dungeon Dudes. For simplicity, here be a YT link, though other platforms are available. (Currently listening to Dungeons of Drakkenheim, which... Fun and entertaining for we fantasy nerds)

https://www.youtube.com/@DungeonDudes

Not specifically-Atheist, "any" of that, but inoffensive to "our" religious(-less) sensibilities.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Thanks for the recommendation of "In Our Time."  I think I'll be enjoying those.  As for my own recommendations, I'm afraid I mostly listen to things with less universal appeal.

For rude silliness leavened with trivial information, I listen to Jim Jeffries "I Don't Know About That."

One that is really well-researched and articulate is "Know Your Enemy", but its focus is American (mostly) conservative thought and politics.

I've mentioned "Le Show" from Harry Shearer before.

"Fever Dreams" is again occupied with American conservativism, focusing on the more fringe elements.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Have not tried any atheist podcasts but with this thread in mind, I may give some a try see if any of them are worthwhile. Shearer has a recurring feature ("News of the Godly") which is basically a catalogue of the unsavory capers and self-righteous buffoonery of religious figures. I suppose in the end the discrepancy between the "good" words of the religious and their harmful/destructive policies and behavior is a fairly significant element of atheist polemic.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

If Hitchens were still around and were doing a podcast, I suppose I would listen. He had a wonderful way with words, even when declaiming views that I disagreed with. I wonder if he would have tended towards his brother's views in his later years. Perish the thought.  :evilgrin:
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

I've been enjoying "In Our Time." Took a while to tune my ear back to the BBC English intonation (I used to go to sleep listening to BBC 4 but it's been a few years). Especially as delivered in perfect "reedy professor" by Melvyn Bragg. I initially subscribed to "History" and "Science" as well but now realise all that does is duplicate any episodes that qualify. Thanks again for the recommendation, Sir Albert.  ;D
— H. L. Mencken

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Recusant on May 28, 2023, 03:24:08 AMThanks again for the recommendation, Sir Albert.  ;D

Glad you're enjoying it.

I thought hieroglyphics were symbols that somehow conveyed meaning.
It seems they represent the sounds of language, like our alphabet.
I don't know why I didn't know that.

The Rosetta Stone
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000s2qd

Icarus

I am hooked on the Up and Atom series for science and math bugs. The Aussie woman who delivers the concepts is charming. She  manages to make difficult concepts nearly understandable.

Asmodean

Ooh! I knows that one. Is good. :smilenod:

Here, I'll embed a vid for those interested;
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding..

If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Anne D.

Enjoying Behind the Bastards. The host can be terribly annoying, but the shows are well researched, and occasionally pretty funny. Just listened to the six-parter on Henry Kissinger and learned a lot. More niche: I also really enjoy Another Not Guilty, in which the host interviews American public defenders who've had a recent not guilty verdict. The trial stories are great.

Recusant

Been going through some of the Citations Needed episodes. Apparently there is another with a nearly identical name, but with "Citation" singular in its title--completely different. Citations Needed is nominally media criticism though it often is left oriented social and political commentary with a focus on media.
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Trying out Tides of History. Just the free episodes of course. I've listened to worse history podcasts.  :sidesmile:
— H. L. Mencken