Started by xSilverPhinx, November 09, 2016, 05:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: Gloucester on January 27, 2017, 04:37:59 PM
Quote from: Davin on January 27, 2017, 03:02:48 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on January 27, 2017, 02:42:02 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 27, 2017, 01:24:09 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on January 27, 2017, 09:23:13 AM
...though some seem to enjoy tilting at your windmills.

Tank made a good point somewhere else that if not for the creationist, then for some indecisive lurker who might be reading. I don't see it as a vain attempt as I don't engage Dredge for Dredge, I couldn't care less if he gets it or not.
A goodly point - wonder how many lurkers are lurking?
I like reading people tearing Dredge's bullshit apart. Even though it looks like Dredge is just trolling.
Perhaps I am just jaded by seeing so many Dredge type theist clones, Pahu, Randy Ruggles,TheBorg etc etc have the same facts and rational arguments bounce off their armour. Trolls flourish best when given attention.
It's a double edged sword. Trolls do usually like attention, and they like to make people put in more effort than they do, but then what happens when they go around spouting their bullshit and no one says anything?

Trolling is a sad and pathetic thing, and trolls are pathetic people who also tend to be assholes. One might feel sorry for them if their intentions were more honest. We've heard that trolls thrive on attention, but lies thrive on being left unchallenged.

So address the lies without much regard to the troll, call the troll a troll, and have a useful conversation in spite of the troll. I think that's a better solution.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

Quote from: Davin on January 27, 2017, 04:53:45 PM. . . We've heard that trolls thrive on attention, but lies thrive on being left unchallenged.

So address the lies without much regard to the troll, call the troll a troll, and have a useful conversation in spite of the troll. I think that's a better solution.

Well said, Davin:thumbsup: 
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Arturo

Now the following is just speculation on my part but it may explain why Trump got elected. First let me cite my source: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html

QuoteGDP - composition, by end use:
household consumption: 68.6%
QuoteGDP - composition, by sector of origin:
agriculture: 1.1%
industry: 19.4%
services: 79.5%

Now if our GDP is mostly Sevices, and most of the GDP is consumed by Households, it may explain why President Orange's rhetoric worked so well. Because he is always talking about making deals, and Americans are always buying things so they were primed into "deal-making mode" if that makes sense. So the two just went well together.

But like I said, it's 100% speculation on my part.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱