News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Jumping Spiders!

Started by Tank, March 03, 2018, 07:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Come on guys! I would rather have a few spiders in my house that cockroaches or mosquitoes.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 05, 2018, 04:11:22 AM
Come on guys! I would rather have a few spiders in my house that cockroaches or mosquitoes.

Me too. A million times more.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bluenose

I was camping on the Murray River a couple of years ago.  We had erected a largish marquee and while most of the others went fishing I stayed in camp and during that time, I watched a jumping spider stalk a fly on the main tent pole.  He eventually jumped on and caught the fly.  Good on him, the flies were bloody annoying!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Bluenose on March 06, 2018, 10:12:19 AM
I was camping on the Murray River a couple of years ago.  We had erected a largish marquee and while most of the others went fishing I stayed in camp and during that time, I watched a jumping spider stalk a fly on the main tent pole.  He eventually jumped on and caught the fly.  Good on him, the flies were bloody annoying!

Stalking flies needs skill! I got a name on my RAF tour in Cyprus as being "The Fly Chopper". In the mess flies were a real pest. There was often a spot of food on the tsble and a fly going for it. Once they were occupied with feeding I would slowly move a table knife over them from behind. My rationale was that it is very hard to estimate the distance and speed of a "line", the edge of a blade in this case, coming towards you. It also does not create much air disturbance in front of it.

So, with the heel of the handle on the table as a pivot, behind the fly, slow movement down and a slam for the last half inch got about a 50% score.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Exactly, the building's spiders are my pest control crew.  If I see something scuttling along (which is a recurring problem since I live above a restaurant) I take a close look at it.  If it's a roach that's slipped thru the spiders nets, it's squished.  If it's a spider, it gets a salute and a "carry on".  And in allowing the spiders free run of my home, I haven't even heard a mosquito in decades, much less been bitten by one.

But in all honesty, I've always loved spiders and wouldn't bother them even if they didn't eat insects I don't like.  And I definitely think they're cute -- esp. the Afromarengo  coricea.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

hermes2015

Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 06, 2018, 10:26:19 PM

Exactly, the building's spiders are my pest control crew.  If I see something scuttling along (which is a recurring problem since I live above a restaurant) I take a close look at it.  If it's a roach that's slipped thru the spiders nets, it's squished.  If it's a spider, it gets a salute and a "carry on".  And in allowing the spiders free run of my home, I haven't even heard a mosquito in decades, much less been bitten by one.

But in all honesty, I've always loved spiders and wouldn't bother them even if they didn't eat insects I don't like.  And I definitely think they're cute -- esp. the Afromarengo  coricea.

My partner fears spiders, so whenever he sees one in the house, I am expected to kill it. I refuse to kill spiders - it just feels wrong to me. I always catch them in a glass, which I quickly cover with a sheet of paper, and then release them outside to do their good work in the garden.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on March 07, 2018, 08:03:41 AM

Quite clever, bit more humane than a foot or rolled up newspaper!

hermes2015

I must get one of those. It appeals to the crypto-Jainist in me.
― Charles Eames

Dragonia

"Perfect for the arachnophobic pacifist"

Ha ha ha! I would probably use this handy little tool. It would be better than trying to squish this mama carrying her babies.

Been there, done that, made a thousand little orphan spiders go panic-mode in my hallway.
That was one of the creepy-crawly highlights of my life.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dave

Quote from: Dragonia on March 07, 2018, 01:08:24 PM
"Perfect for the arachnophobic pacifist"

Ha ha ha! I would probably use this handy little tool. It would be better than trying to squish this mama carrying her babies.

Been there, done that, made a thousand little orphan spiders go panic-mode in my hallway.
That was one of the creepy-crawly highlights of my life.

I tried to brush off what I thought was a fluffball in the corner of the windiw. It exploded into what looked like a hundred tiny spiders going every which way at high speed!

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 07, 2018, 04:55:07 PM

Must get a mega-sized one for Bluenose.

To catch him? Oh! Sorry, so he can catch Ozzie mega-poisonous arachnids.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Sheeesh Silver, Brazil has some bad assed critters.