News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Happy Atheist Chat Room

Started by Whitney, June 21, 2008, 11:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PipeBox

Quote from: "Whitney"http://client11.addonchat.com/sc.php?id=320343

Try this out....if we like it I will embed it into the website this weekend.   Free integrated options for phpbb3 are still in development so I want to wait on installing those.  This approach is a no risk to the forum way to see if members will use chat or not.

To log in just type your user name and enter...please use the same user name as you use on this site so we will know who we are talking to.  Guests can use this chat.

Btw, the professional edition of this chat client is only 80 a year and can be integrated into phpbb3.  If it is something we want to do I might ask for a small donation at a later date...for now, I'm just letting you know it is an option.

I know I'd use it more if I knew people were on it.  Every time I've gone in, empty.  For hours on end, too.  An integrated one, or a shoutbox, would definitely get more attention, but how much more on a board like this, I don't know.  Still, I think it's a lot easier to just have chatroom discussions sometimes than filling up the boards with whatever pops into my head.  Speaking of that, I've another post to make.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

curiosityandthecat

I was thinking that, Pipebox. There's times that I'd be on it and see nobody for hours on end (I get really bored at work sometimes). Plus, if you're idle for a while, I think it logs you off without telling you. :/
-Curio

joeactor

A scheduled "chat-time" would help, yes/no?

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "joeactor"A scheduled "chat-time" would help, yes/no?
Not a bad idea, but probably difficult to do considering the members here are... well, everywhere.   :P
-Curio

Whitney

How about 3pm central standard time on Sundays?  Would that work for those in the states without running into lunch or dinner?

PipeBox

Sounds good to me, Whitney.

But now the word has to get out, as I know I only check this subforum once a month, and the same probably goes for others.   :unsure:
Again, it would be great to have more people in the chatroom more often, as I fear this Sunday will be the first HAF chatroom meeting, rather than an active chatroom.  There's a big difference in type of conversing that goes on, in my experience.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

Whitney

Eventually I'm going to install a chat that will show how many people are online and in chat.  The modification just isn't validated yet and I don't want to mess up the forum with a beta release.  At the rate they are going, it will be release sometime next year.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "PipeBox"Sounds good to me, Whitney.

But now the word has to get out, as I know I only check this subforum once a month, and the same probably goes for others.   :D
-Curio

Whitney

Yes, I could twitter it just like I do when I open the Pal Talk Happy Atheist chat room that isn't connected to HAF.

Everyone...follow me on Twitter...Curio said you have to!

http://twitter.com/HappyAtheist

curiosityandthecat

It's too bad there's not a Twitter field in the user profile.  :unsure:
-Curio

Whitney

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"It's too bad there's not a Twitter field in the user profile.  :unsure:
I'll see if I can figure that out.  I can easily make a place to enter it but it wouldn't display as a link.  I found a mod that adds skype..maybe I can modify the steps to get it to work for twitter....  I don't really have time to work on it right now though.

McQ

Twitter, eh?

Wonder if I should start Tweeting?

You guys use it?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "McQ"Twitter, eh?

You guys use it?
I use it constantly. It's kind of like my news source. :)
-Curio

Whitney

Quote from: "McQ"Twitter, eh?

You guys use it?

I thought twitter was just another fad (which it is) and didn't use it till I realized the marketing potential.  Of course you can also use it for it's intended purpose, social things.  My husband tweets his friends to let them know he's getting on xbox live.

curiosityandthecat

Well, between CDCemergency (real-time updates from the Center for Disease Control -- great for Swine Flu updates and whatnot), CNNbrk (CNN's breaking news updates), PZ Meyers, Richard Dawkins, the guys at Gamefwd.org (a video game website I write for), Men's Health Magazine (to whom I direct questions about diet, fitness, etc -- they're pretty good about replying and catering information to your needs), Neil Gaiman (the author), Wired magazine (because they're the best magazine being published right now), Ohio University (and its different colleges, departments, etc), Remember The Milk (the productivity/to-do list site) and the Atheist Quote of the Day, I barely visit any websites aside from HAF and my Google Reader (though I'm sure I could get most of my RSS feeds via Twitter, too).

Aside from that, there's a lot of cool people to follow. I follow a few people in the video game industry, a few chefs (like Tyler Flourence and Anthony Bourdain), and a few rather entertaining atheists. ;)

Oh, and you find cool stuff... like when the CDC finally isolates and stains the Swine flu!

-Curio