News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Atheist faces jail after Facebook remark

Started by Tank, January 21, 2012, 01:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Atheist faces jail after Facebook remark

QuoteAN Indonesian civil servant who declared himself an atheist on Facebook was arrested and is now facing jail for blasphemy after being attacked by an angry mob, police said today.

Alexander An, 30, who wrote "God doesn't exist" on his Facebook page, was beaten by a mob of dozens on Wednesday in his hometown in Pulau Punjung, West Sumatra province.

"He is suspected of having blasphemed against Islam," local police chief Chairul Aziz told AFP.

"The man told police investigators that if God really exists and has absolute power, why didn't he prevent bad things from happening in this world."

An said on his Facebook page that he was brought up as a Muslim, like the vast majority in Indonesia, where blasphemy is a punishable crime carrying a maximum five-year prison term.

Dozens of locals stormed into his office after a heated debate with them on Facebook over religion, police said.

An was also an administrator of a Facebook group promoting atheism with 1243 followers. His postings no longer appeared online following his arrest.

This is the sort of thing that gets religion a bad name. Using terror to force complience.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on January 21, 2012, 01:44:22 PM
This is the sort of thing that gets religion a bad name. Using terror to force complience.

That's why religions are so weak. There isn't a better word to describe this IMO.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Guardian85

it is a weak idea, that cannot stand up to scrutiny.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

The Magic Pudding

I hope Indonesia is getting better.
It's been a few years since they've blown a bunch of us to bits in a Bali bar.
They've managed the transition to democracy better than some.

Sweetdeath

From that weird quiz,we all take, i found out most of Indonesia is muslim. Suprised they would resort no violence? No.

The crusades and Inquisition were disgusting beyond words, but islam continues to kill people in the name of their god in such large numbers present day.

*sighs* it is sad to hear about someone getting arrested for a law passed down in the middle ages, where people feared science and the truth about religion. I hope he's okay...
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sweetdeath

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Too Few Lions

That story sucks. I'm so glad I don't live in a Muslim country, I'd probably end up being murdered by some fanatical lunatic (or possibly even the State!) for my views on religion.

Sweetdeath

Has anyone else noticed that muslim countries seem to live on a constant loop of the dark ages? Never actually evolving.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 22, 2012, 01:58:30 PM
Has anyone else noticed that muslim countries seem to live on a constant loop of the dark ages? Never actually evolving.
That's the power of a theological meme for you.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on January 22, 2012, 02:38:29 PM
That's the power of a theological meme for you.

Why in the hell would they want society to evolve? ;D It would kill them off (religions) or at least the current version of religion...

Best keep people as docile and stupid as sheep.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crocoduck

As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

pytheas

in malaisia is it you get arrested if you practise yoga on the beach. religious grounds. They know what they are doing

as for the story, what can we say? colors-of-puke contest I guess...

the take home message, private information has a reason to be private

"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Crow

I don't know about that, the United Arab Emirates seems to be progressing well especially in contrast to its surrounding countries, its legal system is very similar to that of the US but sharia so it does have some messed up laws, however it is far more tolerant than other Islamic countries.
Retired member.

Wessik

Yeah, muslim countries are doing fine. They've just been in the dark ages for a while, but they'll eventually pull out of it. (Although, "fine" may be a bit too luxuriant a word there... <_<)
I have my own blog! redkarp.blogspot.com!