News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Five Solas for 3A

Started by Pharaoh Cat, December 16, 2011, 10:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pharaoh Cat

Christians have a formula, which, in Latin, is: Sola scriptura, sola fide, sola gratia, solo Christo, soli Deo gloria.  In English we have, "Solely by scripture, solely by faith, solely by grace, solely in Christ, solely to the glory of God."

Yes, I know Christians use "alone" rather than "solely," but I like "solely" better, and translating "sola" as "solely" seems reasonable.

It occurs to me that a 3A (Atheist Agnostic Apatheist) equivalent is possible – which I won't render in Latin, as I haven't the skill.  If you want to help me out here, please do!  In English, then: "Solely by the senses, solely by reason, solely by the body, solely by nature, solely as creatures aspire."

The Christian formula is intended to map out the way to a better future, and the 3A formula is too.  What futures are available is a matter of contention, of course.

The 3A contention would be that our best available future is most easily and dependably obtainable by trusting nothing but what our senses can verify, deciding nothing but what reason recommends, aiming at nothing but what the body can experience, aided by nothing but what nature provides, honoring no aspirations but those that are born in creaturely hearts.  Yet still the goal is a better future!  Even as it is for Christians.  As Christians find solace in their five solas, so can we, the 3A, find solace in ours.   

Can anyone help me with the Latin? ;)

"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

OldGit

sola pasta, solum monstrum pastagenitum.

Crocoduck

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on December 16, 2011, 10:29:36 AM
solely by nature

I have yet to rule out the supernatural, I've just not seen convincing evidence for it yet.
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

OldGit

OK, let's have a proper go:

solely by the senses  solis sensibus

solely by reason sola ratione

solely by the body  solo corpore

solely by nature  sola natura

solely as creatures aspire  - sorry, I don't know what this means. ?sole ut aspiramus?

Pharaoh Cat

Quote from: Crocoduck on December 16, 2011, 11:45:37 AM
I have yet to rule out the supernatural, I've just not seen convincing evidence for it yet.

Do you say prayers, perform magic spells, or employ talismans like, say, an amulet with an occult symbol on it?  If not, then you aren't looking for supernatural aid, which is what the "by nature" is trying to convey in capsule form.

Pharaoh Cat

Quote from: OldGit on December 16, 2011, 12:14:22 PM
OK, let's have a proper go:

Thanks!  :)

I have another, independent query under way (same question) at this cool Latin/English forum: http://latindiscussion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

I've learned over time that often the best approach is to ask several people to each come up with their best answer, as Latin/English translation is as much art as science.

Quote from: OldGit on December 16, 2011, 12:14:22 PM
solely as creatures aspire  - sorry, I don't know what this means. ?sole ut aspiramus?

Maybe this will help:
Creatures, not Creator.  Living things.  Earthly denizens, any species.  What these aspire toward is worthy of honor, unlike what imaginary celestials aspire toward, which isn't worthy of honor.

Pharaoh Cat

So far one person at the Latin/English forum has suggested this:

Solis sensibus, sola ratione, solo corpore, sola natura, solae creaturae consectantur.

Looks a lot like Old Git's, except for the fifth part - and the person who offered it expressed some hesitance about the fifth part.

OldGit

In all the quoted forms of solus the ending must be pronounced with a long vowel.

Pharaoh Cat

Discussion on the Latin/English forum focused my mind.  Regarding the fifth part of the sentence, the best phrasing in English for what I intend would be, "solely as creatures will," as if we were to say, "Not as the Creator wills, but solely as creatures will."

That Creator/creature dichotomy is the main point, and so I think "solae creaturae" is exactly right. I just need the right verb, and "will" seems right, as in, "Not as you will, but as I will."

In this context, humans are creatures, as are all living things.

Solae creaturae (fill in the blank with the Latin for "will")

I've put the above (almost verbatim) to the Latin/English forum - and if Old Git or anyone else wants to take a stab at it here, please do!

MinnesotaMike

Can someone explain this to me? I don't see how you can act "solely" by several different things. Is there a deeper meaning to it or does it just not make sense on a literal level?
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Pharaoh Cat

Quote from: MinnesotaMike on December 17, 2011, 06:23:18 AM
Can someone explain this to me? I don't see how you can act "solely" by several different things. Is there a deeper meaning to it or does it just not make sense on a literal level?

In both the Christian instance and my proposed 3A parallel, the sentence is really five sentences encapsulated.  Each sola is independent of the other four, yet the five are mutually relevant and mutually reinforcing.

OldGit

QuoteSolae creaturae (fill in the blank with the Latin for "will")

Sola creaturae voluntate  (make solus agree with 'will'.  That's "creature's".  If you mean "creatures'" (plur), then make it creaturarum.

Like Mike, I'm not saying I think these are the best five things you could choose - I'm only translating them!  :D

Pharaoh Cat

Quote from: OldGit on December 17, 2011, 10:21:07 AM
QuoteSolae creaturae (fill in the blank with the Latin for "will")

Sola creaturae voluntate  (make solus agree with 'will'.  That's "creature's".  If you mean "creatures'" (plur), then make it creaturarum.

Like Mike, I'm not saying I think these are the best five things you could choose - I'm only translating them!  :D

Sola creaturarum voluntate

solely as creatures (plural of creature) will

Cool!  Thanks! :)

Googling was already leading me to "volo" as the right verb and I was speculating that "volunt" might be the right form - and apparently I was close, but no cigar. ;)

And so we have:

Solis sensibus, sola ratione, solo corpore, sola natura, sola creaturarum voluntate.

Sounds like an incantation!  I like it! ;)

OldGit

Laus et benedictiones Domino nostro Monstro Volante Pastagenito.  Ramen.