News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Out of the closet

Started by Amalthea, December 27, 2011, 07:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amalthea

Hi everyone!
Here to introduce myself, and a couple of reasons why I decided to join. I am 18, and currently finishing up my senior year of high school. Reflecting upon the last four years, I realize that my status of "closet atheist" must change, and so I hope interacting with other atheists will encourage me to become a little more confident. I've always been an extremely quiet and nice girl, somewhat at odds with the brashly outspoken athiests in my community. I live in a very conservative and evangelical section of California, so I've been pretty much starved for secular discussion, or any discussion for that matter. Anyway, I look forward to participating on this forum  :)

Tank

Hello Amaltha

Well you have come to the right place to have any discussion you like, so get stuck in!

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crocoduck

Hello Amalthea, welcome to HAF.
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Dee

Im new here too.  Welcome!   :)

MadBomr101

I liken atheism to Neo having swallowed the red pill in the movie, The Matrix.  Metaphorically, you took the red pill at some point in your life and woke up from the walking ignorance of theism.  The fact that the majority of the people all around you are still asleep makes it difficult to know how to, or even if you should tell others.  We live in a land overrun with Xian zombies and many don't react well to those who are not of the body.

But, first you have to reach the 10 post minimum before we can get into all that so tell us more about yourself.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Amalthea. I hope that you'll find some of what you're looking for here. Also, you will likely get a chance to experience a freer exchange of ideas when you escape from high school and begin your time in college/university. That's something to look forward to!

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Amalthea

Quote from: MadBomr101 on December 27, 2011, 08:30:08 PM
I liken atheism to Neo having swallowed the red pill in the movie, The Matrix.  Metaphorically, you took the red pill at some point in your life and woke up from the walking ignorance of theism.  The fact that the majority of the people all around you are still asleep makes it difficult to know how to, or even if you should tell others.  We live in a land overrun with Xian zombies and many don't react well to those who are not of the body.

But, first you have to reach the 10 post minimum before we can get into all that so tell us more about yourself.

I never actually had to break away from any close religious influence, as my parents are both scientists and atheists. I was a pantheist as a little kid, when the world still seemed so magical and orchestrated. I still try to keep that reverential attitude toward nature, but I do not believe in any supernatural controlling force. The biggest issue I face is with my peers, adults included. These kids are just too lazy to form opinions other than that of their parents, who in turn base all decisions upon snippets of "news" heard on talk shows. Not everyone of course, but surely the majority!

Tank

Quote from: Amalthea on December 27, 2011, 08:55:49 PM
Quote from: MadBomr101 on December 27, 2011, 08:30:08 PM

I never actually had to break away from any close religious influence, as my parents are both scientists and atheists. I was a pantheist as a little kid, when the world still seemed so magical and orchestrated. I still try to keep that reverential attitude toward nature, but I do not believe in any supernatural controlling force. The biggest issue I face is with my peers, adults included. These kids are just too lazy to form opinions other than that of their parents, who in turn base all decisions upon snippets of "news" heard on talk shows. Not everyone of course, but surely the majority!
The problem you suffer from is that you actually bother to think, assess evidence and make up your own mind. This is a very rare quality and ability and will always make you stand out from the crowd.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MadBomr101

Quote from: Tank on December 27, 2011, 09:08:19 PMThe problem you suffer from is that you actually bother to think, assess evidence and make up your own mind. This is a very rare quality and ability and will always make you stand out from the crowd.

Very true.  Of course, the problem she and the rest of us have, is that the crowd is primarily populated by superstitious, magical thinking believers in the all-powerful, cosmic wonder twins, God and Jesus, who are, apparantly, the same person.  Many in that crowd will be quick to condemn and/or marginalize her for not being as gullible and ignorant as they.  I wear my condemnation by those Xians as a badge of honor.   ;D

In time, Amalthea, you'll get the hang of it too.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Traveler

If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

unholy1971

Hi Amalthea,

I'm actually a closet Atheist as well, I think you will find there are a lot of us in society.

Welcome to the forum.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

carley

Hello and welcome. I admire your self-awareness at such a young age. It can be a little intimidating to be the odd man out, especially when people think by having different beliefs, you're soul is damned for eternity. I congratulate you on having the courage to acknowledge your individuality. One of the other members commented that you will get a more open exchange of religious ideas when you go to college and that is true. I'm 35 but I just graduated from college with a psychology degree. My minor was Sociology and I took a class called Sociology of Religion and it was so interesting. It explained a lot of the reasoning behind certain belief systems (why Hindus consider the cow sacred, how sects begin and gain strength, and why certain religions have dietary laws). If your school offers that class, you would probably really like it. Anyway, welcome

Thunder Road

Quote from: Amalthea on December 27, 2011, 07:42:46 PM
Hi everyone!
Here to introduce myself, and a couple of reasons why I decided to join. I am 18, and currently finishing up my senior year of high school. Reflecting upon the last four years, I realize that my status of "closet atheist" must change, and so I hope interacting with other atheists will encourage me to become a little more confident. I've always been an extremely quiet and nice girl, somewhat at odds with the brashly outspoken athiests in my community. I live in a very conservative and evangelical section of California, so I've been pretty much starved for secular discussion, or any discussion for that matter. Anyway, I look forward to participating on this forum  :)

Have you considered rural northwest Indiana for college?   ;D

Well it was worth a shot.  See the "Merry Christmas!" thread for my story.
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." -John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Freshman Meteorology major at Valparaiso University in Indiana and fan of exclusively classic rock.

Amalthea

Quote from: carley on December 28, 2011, 01:34:53 AM
One of the other members commented that you will get a more open exchange of religious ideas when you go to college and that is true. I'm 35 but I just graduated from college with a psychology degree. My minor was Sociology and I took a class called Sociology of Religion and it was so interesting. It explained a lot of the reasoning behind certain belief systems (why Hindus consider the cow sacred, how sects begin and gain strength, and why certain religions have dietary laws). If your school offers that class, you would probably really like it. Anyway, welcome
That does sound like an interesting class. I'm taking an excellent Intro. to Western Philosophy course at my high school right now, and now and then we read chapters out of The Golden Bough by Sir James George Frazer, which also illustrates how religions came about in certain geographic areas. I do really look forward to college, where such classes are filled with students who actually care about the content.