News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Newbie - abuse me and amuse me.

Started by Always Amused, September 22, 2011, 11:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Always Amused

Short life history: Raised with strong worth ethic, high expectations, good student, avid reader, liked sports. Never did anything half-way: all or nothing mentality. Sought "THE Truth" about life. Agnostic by age 14. Experimented with a lot of hallucinogens in high school (1970-72.) Far out, man. Lot's of trouble and confusion in adolescence, obviously. Evangelized by fundamentalist Christians. Graduated from a fundamentalist university. Ordained, entered ministry, administrated Christian school, pastored church.

Disenchantment with fundamentalism grew as I aged. Eventually left ministry, sought moderation, blah blah.

Studied philosophy, religion, spirituality, and science from a non-committed standpoint. The agnostic method, as stated by Thomas Henry Huxley, is a principle which I have found helps me stay balanced:

"...as in matters of intellect, do not pretend conclusions are certain that are not demonstrated or demonstrable."      Thomas Henry Huxley

I know what I know and what I don't know. Probability and civility are the other two principles which have helped me the most.

In forum discussions, I will quickly address the difference between knowledge and belief and abandon discussions which inexorably blur the two.
"...as in matters of intellect, do not pretend conclusions are certain that are not demonstrated or demonstrable."      Thomas Henry Huxley

DeterminedJuliet

Welcome!

It sounds like you are eager to contribute to our little gang
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

viriditas

Nice to meet you, you sound like fun.
Not Dead Yet!

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

Ah no, not another monkey.
(That was the abuse part)

Amuse is tricky, I don't know you very well but I'll try.

kbush

Tank

Hello Always Amused

I hope you get through the 10 post probation as I'm sure with a background like your's you'll add a lot to the serious discussions.

Welcome to HAF

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Too Few Lions

Welcome to the forum fellow simian, one day we will inheret the Earth!

Always Amused

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on September 23, 2011, 12:30:23 AM
Welcome!
It sounds like you are eager to contribute to our little gang

Gonna try.
"...as in matters of intellect, do not pretend conclusions are certain that are not demonstrated or demonstrable."      Thomas Henry Huxley

Always Amused

Quote from: viriditas on September 23, 2011, 12:35:38 AM
Nice to meet you, you sound like fun.
I get laughed at a lot. Does that count?

Always Amused

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 23, 2011, 04:10:02 AM
Ah no, not another monkey.
(That was the abuse part)

Uh, that was not a monkey. Or a gorilla. But my mother thinks I 'm cute.

Amuse is tricky, I don't know you very well but I'll try.

I remember that picture from W's 60th birthday party. What a partier!

Always Amused

Quote from: Too Few Lions on September 23, 2011, 10:10:28 AM
Welcome to the forum fellow simian, one day we will inheret the Earth!

Obviously, you have read the works of The Lawgiver and the gospel according to Dr. Zaius.

Always Amused

Tank,
Working on the 10 post probation. Do my silly, inane attempts at humor count?

Always Amused

Viriditas, xSilverPhinx, kbush, and all,
Thanks for the welcomes!

Tank

Quote from: Always Amused on September 23, 2011, 04:11:45 PM
Tank,
Working on the 10 post probation. Do my silly, inane attempts at humor count?
Oh yes, they're perfectly ok. I thought you were going to reply to everybody individually there, which would have been perfect!  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.