News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

It's a sign!

Started by Dave, June 03, 2017, 09:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 19, 2018, 05:36:38 PM

Looks like a bad translation! :lol:

You reckon? Perhaps they have a good market!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Heh. :grin:

I wonder what they could have meant. It looks like the there are Asian alphabet letters on the paper sign, but I'm not sure, the image's resolution is low.

In Brazilian Portuguese, 'one with horns' is used to describe a victim of infidelity, so my first thought would be to think they offer therapy sessions...a little out of context but whatever. :lol:

But when thinking in English it seems like they could have masseuses who rub erogenous zones or something. :notsure:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 19, 2018, 11:08:07 PM

I wonder what they could have meant. It looks like the there are Asian alphabet letters on the paper sign, but I'm not sure, the image's resolution is low.

In Brazilian Portuguese, 'one with horns' is used to describe a victim of infidelity, so my first thought would be to think they offer therapy sessions...a little out of context but whatever. :lol:

But when thinking in English it seems like they could have masseuses who rub erogenous zones or something. :notsure:

As my friend from Peru used to say (probably bad spelling on my part), "Il corñuto non castrato!"

Here in the US, massage parlors are expected by everybody to be dens of iniquity.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 19, 2018, 11:08:07 PM

"She put the horns on him" or "She made a goat of him" is, I think, not an unusual way, in catholic countries, of saying "his wife is unfaithful" . Msy look up the reason for this, hesrd it a long time ago but never checked its origin (if known). Interesting considering the diabolical imagery linked with goats.

But I too pondered on just which word they cocked up.

Icarus

Dave, words like "cocked up" may be an ordinary Brit expression but for dirty minded Americans it can mean that one has an erection.

hermes2015

One of my favourite English words is cockpit. I wonder why.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on September 20, 2018, 05:54:05 AM
Dave, words like "cocked up" may be an ordinary Brit expression but for dirty minded Americans it can mean that one has an erection.

Yup. A  milder form of f****d up.

Dark Lightning

That's so funny, because I had a supervisor who hailed originally from England, and he used "cock up" all the time when something went sideways. Nobody batted an eye, much to my amazement.

xSilverPhinx

Dave

xSilverPhinx

Yes but wouldn't that fall under the umbrella term 'jerk'?

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 21, 2018, 04:51:59 PM

Hmm, yes, but ...

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 21, 2018, 04:54:00 PM

Hmm, yes, but ...

I sense there might be a joke or pun in there somewhere, but I just don't see it. :(

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 21, 2018, 04:55:14 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 21, 2018, 04:54:00 PM

Hmm, yes, but ...

I sense there might be a joke or pun in there somewhere, but I just don't see it. :(

Nope, just can't make up my mind that you are right and I am just hitting my intense dislike of those who do not consider others in that way. Like watching a young man throw his drink can on the pavement four feet from a recycling bin.

Icarus

An imaginative and appropriate sign that will probably do no good to deter the scummy slobs who litter.  I like it  anyway.