News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

I don't think the levelling trait is a thing, it'd be nice though, maybe.

Started by Bad Penny II, February 27, 2019, 11:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

https://radio.abc.net.au/programitem/pe9D2jWZMD?play=true

Alas there is no transcript to quote.
It's put that humans don't have alphas as other primates do, we rebel against them apparently.
We're supposed to look at a would be alpha and say you're getting uppity

uppity: Presumptuously arrogant
"getting a little uppity and needed to be slapped down"

I think we've moved on a bit from our bent back kin, we do things in a bigger way.
We have alpha groups now, try to challenge our god endowed right to rule and we'll put you down.
I don't think the levelling trait is a thing, it'd be nice though, maybe.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

I missed being able to see the visuals which clearly accompanied the talk. That said, I appreciate you posting the link, and agree that a transcript would also have been welcome. For those who don't want to spend the time listening, I can suggest "A Bold New Theory Proposes That Humans Tamed Themselves" | The Atlantic for an overview of the ideas (not as good as the talk in a lot of ways, but worthwhile).

As for the ideas Wrangham is presenting, I question whether bonobos' rate of aggression is "1000 times" greater than that of humans, and he didn't bother to mention orangutans, but I don't think they're hugely more aggressive than humans. Probably what was measured was instances of physical aggression. However, humans, unlike bonobos or orangutans, express aggression on other ways than just physically. That's a minor quibble though, and it's hard to disagree with the basic "self-domestication" hypothesis, especially with the neural crest migration study, genetics, and anthropological observations to support it.

Excellent talk which presents some fascinating material. Thank you for posting that link, Bad Penny II:smokin cool:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus