News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

Quote from: OldGit on July 17, 2012, 08:53:09 AM
In some sense kids are like women - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.  ;)

EDIT:  Mrs Git and I have been married 41 years today.  And yes, that is a reason to be cheerful, in spite of the above wisecrack.

Nice one Git! Congratulations. I hope to be saying the same in 34 years and 6 days...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Sweetdeath

In some sense kids are like women - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.  ;)

EDIT:  Mrs Git and I have been married 41 years today.  And yes, that is a reason to be cheerful, in spite of the above wisecrack.
That's impressive, Gramps.  ;D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sandra Craft

Congratulations!  And don't worry about the wise crack, you know what they say about men -- it's easier to feed them than understand them.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ali

Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Git!!!  July 17th must be an auspicious day to get married.  Today is also my wedding anniversary.   ;D  Mr. Ali and I have been married 7 years.  Git, do you have any fun plans for your anni?  Husband and I aren't doing gifts this year because we had to replace our fridge and went ahead and got a new washer and dryer as well because ours were old and crapping out, so those are our anniversary gifts to each other.  But our in laws gave us a gift certificate to a local nursery last year and we've never gotten around to using it, so I think this week we are going to go use our gift certificate to pick out a tree to plant in our yard in honor of our anniversary.  Also, Husband is making dinner tonight, and T has his swim lesson, so that will be fun.   :D

Recusant

Hey, that's cool! Congratulations and many happy returns to the Gits and the Alis!

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

Thanks everybody! Ali,  congratulatons on yours - 7 years on 17/7 (as we write dates).
Our wedding was, of course, on 17/7/71, which is a neat palindrome although we didn't spot it at the time.

We're not doing much, either.  We're not giving presents; we had coffee and cake this morning in a pretty 15th century café and photographed a very beautiful church.  Mrs Git is doing a special meal tonight.  I hope Ali's tree flourishes and T has a good swimming lesson.

Mrs Git says thanks for all the good wishes.

Asmodean

We use a dot. Like today, for instance, is 17.07.2012

Why do they put the month before the day in States, btw? It doesn't make sense, if you ask me.

Oh! Congrats to everyone who wants congratulations due to some occasion or other.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

Congrats Mr. and Mrs Git, and Mr. and Mrs. Ali!  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

OldGit

Oh Grey One, do you mean to congratulate people on being in the state of needing congratulations, or are you just giving those congratulations which are due?  Such brain-teasers are enough to make an old git's teeth fall out.  ???

And thanks, Amicale.

Asmodean

Quote from: OldGit on July 17, 2012, 06:39:41 PM
Oh Grey One, do you mean to congratulate people on being in the state of needing congratulations, or are you just giving those congratulations which are due?  Such brain-teasers are enough to make an old git's teeth fall out.  ???
To any one who wants them. The Asmo PR team said something about an occasional freebie being... Nice. And, apparently, the n-word is... Good. And, apparently, the g-word gets people to like you and, apparently, the l-word makes them donate to your evil cause.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

Quote from: Asmodean on July 17, 2012, 07:09:43 PM
Quote from: OldGit on July 17, 2012, 06:39:41 PM
To any one who wants them. The Asmo PR team said something about an occasional freebie being... Nice. And, apparently, the n-word is... Good. And, apparently, the g-word gets people to like you and, apparently, the l-word makes them donate to your evil cause.

If you want to give out freebies, offer to enroll everyone in the "I won't assimilate and destroy you THIS month" Asmo fan club.  :D You ought to have a lot of takers, and it will make them very cheerful to know that they've got a free pass for at least another 30 days or so...

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Asmodean

But... But... It's a whole MONTH!  :'(
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

Quote from: Asmodean on July 17, 2012, 06:26:22 PM
We use a dot. Like today, for instance, is 17.07.2012

Why do they put the month before the day in States, btw? It doesn't make sense, if you ask me.

Oh! Congrats to everyone who wants congratulations due to some occasion or other.
My congrats as well to whom I've forgotten to congratulate before  ;D.

My travel agency once booked a hotel for us in Florida for June, 7th.
Guess what happened when we arrived there on June, 7th?
Yes, they didn't find our booking because we were expected to arrive on July, 6th.

Anyway, I prefer the yyyymmdd format, because it the dates are much easier to sort and doesn't cause confusion.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

Yes, that format is the most sensible from the perspective of a counter. Being two tech geeks, we share that preference.

For the common man on the street though, it makes sense to have the most dynamic number first and the least dynamic last, making dd.mm.yyyy the better alternative, no?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.